The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/index.php)
-   Q-talk (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   If Your Foodsaver Seems Weak.... (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=152331)

Q-Dat 01-25-2013 03:01 PM

If Your Foodsaver Seems Weak....

I know that many of us use Foodsaver vacuum sealers. Well from reading on line I have found that a lot of folks like myself have had issues with weak vacuums that seal the bag, but don't pull out all of the air. Well I read about how the gasket can cause a problem if it gets damaged, but mine looked like brand new. Well I decided to try wiping really well with rubbing alcohol and VOILA! Its now working like new again! My best guess is that it had a film of grease that I couldn't see or feel that was causing a bad seal. Most likely from a while back when I packaged a bunch of bacon.

I am still probably going to buy a Weston when I see another good coupon, but at least I have mine working for now.

Hope someone finds this useful.

gtr 01-25-2013 03:05 PM

Thanks! Once in a while, mine will seem not to vac out the air as well as it could - it seems like there's a little release before the seal, but then it seems to work fine again later - I'm guessing what you're talking about has something to do with that. Thanks for putting that up! :thumb:

WineMaster 01-25-2013 03:12 PM

Cool thanks!

Yendor 01-25-2013 03:14 PM

Thanks for the heads up, next time we pull ours out to use it I will have to remember to clean it. Definitely have the issue of the sealer not sucking, which sucks.

1911Ron 01-25-2013 03:30 PM

Thanks for the heads up:thumb:

Cast Iron Chef 01-25-2013 03:37 PM

I use the hose attachment a lot to seal jars. I have found that removing the hose helps too. They also recommend turning your gasket around.

bbqbull 01-25-2013 03:40 PM

My son's machine had the same problem. He showed me how to wet the seals with a damp paper towel and it worked like brand new.

markdtn 01-25-2013 03:40 PM

I too have had sporadic periods where it just doesn't want to get all the air. I cleaned the seal with soap and water and it works much better.

MS2SB 01-25-2013 03:42 PM

I have this problem consistently. Which gasket are you referring to?

bbqbull 01-25-2013 03:43 PM

Between the top and bottom sections where you put the open end of your bag into that little groove/trough.

Outnumbered 01-25-2013 03:46 PM

I have had the same issue and the wet paper towel that Bull mentions does work. My issue, however, is the longevity of the seal. It seems after about a few weeks, the seal gives way. Any ideas on this?

Happy Hapgood 01-25-2013 03:59 PM

Thanks for the tip!

bbqbull 01-25-2013 04:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Outnumbered (Post 2341793)
I have had the same issue and the wet paper towel that Bull mentions does work. My issue, however, is the longevity of the seal. It seems after about a few weeks, the seal gives way. Any ideas on this?

My guess would be a call to the manufacturing co. They may carry replacement gaskets.

Cast Iron Chef 01-25-2013 04:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bbqbull (Post 2341816)
My guess would be a call to the manufacturing co. They may carry replacement gaskets.

I have bought them from Food Saver. They are like $1.50. Way cheaper then new machine.

Q-Dat 01-25-2013 04:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MS2SB (Post 2341786)
I have this problem consistently. Which gasket are you referring to?

Like BBQBULL said its both of the gaskets top and bottom. I just soaked a paper towel in rubbing alcohol and wiped everything down. Gave it a minute to dry and then tested it.

As far as the gaskets needing to be replaced, I think its just if they get worn or compressed in any one spot. If they have any uneven spots you can forget pulling a strong vacuum.