The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/index.php)
-   Q-talk (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   The "I like my grilled meats no longer walking" appreciation club (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=118806)

tortaboy 10-23-2011 10:05 AM

The "I like my grilled meats no longer walking" appreciation club

The Pron on this site is always amazing. Normally though, if the meat isn't rare, the picture taker is razzed about overcooking the meat. :becky:

How many of you purposely "Overcook" your GRILLED MEATS....Or, asked another way, How many of you appreciate your GRILLED MEATS, "Medium" or More?:thumb:

....And for the record, there is a difference between no pink and shoe leather.:boxing:

watertowerbbq 10-23-2011 10:10 AM

I try to never "overcook" any of my bbq. I do like to cook it until it's tender. Are you referring to the difference between when it's safe to eat and when it's actually removed from the heat?

I don't think I've ever seen pictures of ribs, chicken, pulled pork or brisket that I would consider "medium". I've seen pictures of pork loin and pork tenderloin cooked to "medium" and beyond and I've seen lot's of tri-tip cooked to "medum-rare".

Not sure if I completely understand your question.

Jason TQ 10-23-2011 10:16 AM

I'm guessing you are referring to things like burgers and steaks or other beef products that you don't have to completely cook? The normal "que" fare (ribs, brisket, butts, chicken, etc) gets smoked/cooked until it is definitely cooked through.

tortaboy 10-23-2011 10:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fnbish (Post 1826551)
I'm guessing you are referring to things like burgers and steaks or other beef products that you don't have to completely cook? The normal "que" fare (ribs, brisket, butts, chicken, etc) gets smoked/cooked until it is definitely cooked through.

What he said:clap2:

tortaboy 10-23-2011 10:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by watertowerbbq (Post 1826546)
I try to never "overcook" any of my bbq. I do like to cook it until it's tender. Are you referring to the difference between when it's safe to eat and when it's actually removed from the heat?

I don't think I've ever seen pictures of ribs, chicken, pulled pork or brisket that I would consider "medium". I've seen pictures of pork loin and pork tenderloin cooked to "medium" and beyond and I've seen lot's of tri-tip cooked to "medum-rare".

Not sure if I completely understand your question.

Any way to change the title to, "I like my seared meats no longer walking" appreciation club?

Phrasty 10-23-2011 11:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fnbish (Post 1826551)

I read that as pretty obvious. As for grilling cuts, no, I don't like my steak to flinch when I try to cut it but it can't be anything above medium either. Med/rare is perfect to me.

Kinda like this
http://s9.photobucket.com/albums/a84...t=5cfbe8a1.jpg

Once you go past med/well the texture changes IMO. Some like it... but on a great cut of beef or esp. lamb I "personally" think its a shame to take it to well done... :wink::heh:

Cheers

tortaboy 10-23-2011 11:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Phrasty (Post 1826589)
I read that as pretty obvious. As for grilling cuts, no, I don't like my steak to flinch when I try to cut it but it can't be anything above medium either. Med/rare is perfect to me.

Kinda like this
http://s9.photobucket.com/albums/a84...t=5cfbe8a1.jpg

Once you go past med/well the texture changes IMO. Some like it... but on a great cut of beef or esp. lamb I "personally" think its a shame to take it to well done... :wink::heh:

Cheers

"Med/Rare is perfect to me"....

Any appreciation including the word "Rare" disqualifies you.

Phrasty, you are NOT allowed in the club...hehehehe:-D

bigabyte 10-23-2011 11:15 AM

I like my steaks how I like my women............with a nice juicy warm pink center. Count me in towards the medium rare crowd.

tortaboy 10-23-2011 11:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bigabyte (Post 1826601)
I like my steaks how I like my women............with a nice juicy warm pink center. Count me in towards the medium rare crowd.

Bigabyte, you are NOT allowed in the club either. :-D

pinkelephant 10-23-2011 11:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bigabyte (Post 1826601)

I'll join that club

tortaboy 10-23-2011 11:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pinkelephant (Post 1826613)
I'll join that club

Me too...but that's a different thread. :doh:

Ron_L 10-23-2011 11:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tortaboy (Post 1826580)
Any way to change the title to, "I like my seared meats no longer walking" appreciation club?

Done.

Rare to med rare for steak, med rare for burgers, what I'll call medium for pork chops and roasts (pull at 140 and rest). Med rare for lamb. Med rare for salmon.

Did I miss anything?

tortaboy 10-23-2011 11:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ron_L (Post 1826624)
Done.

Rare to med rare for steak, med rare for burgers, what I'll call medium for pork chops and roasts (pull at 140 and rest). Med rare for lamb. Med rare for salmon.

Did I miss anything?

Ron...originally you were not allowed in the club due to your overuse of the word "Rare", but since you were so Johnny on the spot quick to change the title, you can be an honorary member. :thumb:

Thanks!

NorthwestBBQ 10-23-2011 11:32 AM

The meats most of us like medium rare are Grilled not Barbecued. If you are saying to overcook Grilled meats - that ain't going to happen at my house.

tortaboy 10-23-2011 11:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NorthwestBBQ (Post 1826635)
The meats most of us like medium rare are Grilled not Barbecued. If you are saying to overcook Grilled meats - that ain't going to happen at my house.

Overcooked, Perfectly cooked...Potato, Potato.

You ain't in the club. :hand: