Cajun or Creole Cooking

Grafixgibbs

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
Ok I need some help here. Our company is doing a fundraiser and are holding a cooking competition. Last year we did a chili comp and I won with my BBQ Chili (http://q4fun.blogspot.com/2010/02/q-chili.html). So of course they want me to enter this years comp.

We are doing a Mardi Gras theme and I was wondering what I could do on the smoker to fit that. They are focusing on Cajun and Creole food. Any of y'all have any suggestions?

I do gumbo on the kettle, smoke the meats then add them to a roux, add some stock to soup it up a bit. Served on rice. I also do Po'boys with smoked meats which work out real well. If you want to go the cast iron pot route, you could do some smoky grillades, use a chuck, smoke then braise down.

A co-worker here did a smoked gumbo for lack of a better term. He put the Saugage on the smoker, and then used stock he made from a couple of smoked chichen carcuses.

It abosofrakinglutly did not suck!:clap2:

John

How about a cajun surf n turf.

I spent 20+ years down there and I still love something stuffed n smothered when I make it back down there for some real cajun/creole cooking.

Take some fish, chicken, or beef and stuff it with crawfish, shrimp or crabmeat (make some sort of dressing/stuffing with breadcrumbs n onions, etc).

Season with cajun/creole seasonings
Grill/smoke

Smother with a little pan reduction sauce or make a nice cream sauce.

I did a small gig for 50 with Cajun pork roast (loins) and dirty rice as the center piece.

Smoke or roast the loins with a cajun rub. Slice thin and roll up some dirty rice in each slice like this:

DSC_0172resized-1.jpg

The down side to this is you can't do it too much ahead or the sliced pork will dry out. I was present, slicing and my wife assembling them while service was going on.

Let the Good Times roll. Sounds like a great time. Wish I were there. Love me some cajun cooking.

How about Jambalya in a CI pot. But you gotta have a really good Andouille to make it stand out.

Online in La Place, LA Jacobs, or Wayne Jacobs. One ships and the other doesn't.

I would love to have your recipe if you are up to sharing.

I did a small gig for 50 with Cajun pork roast (loins) and dirty rice as the center piece.

Smoke or roast the loins with a cajun rub. Slice thin and roll up some dirty rice in each slice like this:

DSC_0172resized-1.jpg

The down side to this is you can't do it too much ahead or the sliced pork will dry out. I was present, slicing and my wife assembling them while service was going on.

Try crawfish fettucini or shrimp fettucini. Both are really good and you should be able to get decent shrimp in SC. Not sure about crawfish.
Check out the following site. John Folse is a well known chef in Louisiana. Has some very good recipes. The crawfish andouille fettucini is very good. click on "find a recipe".

jfolse.com

Cool!:cool: Knew you guys would have some great ideas.

I like the smoked gumbo as I can make it before hand and then keep it warm in the crock-pot to serve and make rice in a steamer and serve.

Thanks.

How about New Orleans Style BBQ Shrimp

New-Orleans-Barbecue-Shrimp.jpg

4 pounds raw shrimp, heads and shells on, well rinsed and drained
8 TBS lightly salted butter
1 12 ounce can of premium beer
1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
10 cloves garlic, minced
3 bay leaves
1/4 cup Worcestershire sauce
1 tablespoon creole seasoning (I prefer Tony Cachere’s)
1/2 teaspoon cayenne
2 teaspoons fresh rosemary
2 teaspoons fresh oregano
1 teaspoon crushed whole peppercorns
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon ground black pepper
2 lemons, quartered
1 large loaf crusty French bread

Preheat the cooker to about 300 degrees. Melt the butter in a large cast iron pan, then add the remaining ingredients, except the shrimp and bread, stir to mix well and bring to a simmer. Add the shrimp, and cook until the shrimp are pink and cooked through, about 30 minutes. Serve with hot French bread for dunking in the sauce. :thumb:

It will be hard to beat Mister Bob's Nawlin's style BBQ shrimp but the following recipe is something a lot of people have never had but is loved by many.

Louisiana Natchitoches Meat Pie

1.5 lbs. ground beef
1.5 lbs. ground pork
1 onion
1- cup chopped green onions
1/2 cup chopped green bell pepper
1 tbls. salt
1 tsp. black pepper
1 tsp. cayenne pepper
1/2 tsp garlic powder
1/4 cut all-purpose flour

Crust:
2 cups self-rising flour
1/3 heaping cup crisco, not melted
1 egg, beaten
3/4 cup milk

Combine ground beef, ground pork, onions and seasonings. Shape in to a loaf and smoke at 225º until done (160º)

Remove from smoker and cool to room temperature. Break up smoked meat into very small pieces

Sift flour and cut shortening into flour. Add beaten egg and milk. Form dough into a ball. Roll about 1/3 of the dough at a time on a lightly floured board. Cut dough into 5 to 5 1/2 inch circles.

Place a heaping tablespoon of filling on one side of the pastry round. Dampen edge of pie containing meat with fingertips, fold top over meat and crimp with fork dipped in water. Prick with fork twice on top. Makes 25-30 meat pies. The meat pies can be frozen at this time.

Deep fry in 350º oil (peanut preferably) or bake them in a 350 degree oven. If they are thawed, bake about 15-20 minutes. If frozen, do not defrost, but just bake them on a foil covered cookie sheet for about 30 minutes. They are done when the crust turns golden brown.

Last edited by a moderator:
How about New Orleans Style BBQ Shrimp

New-Orleans-Barbecue-Shrimp.jpg

4 pounds raw shrimp, heads and shells on, well rinsed and drained
8 TBS lightly salted butter
1 12 ounce can of premium beer
1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
10 cloves garlic, minced
3 bay leaves
1/4 cup Worcestershire sauce
1 tablespoon creole seasoning (I prefer Tony Cachere’s)
1/2 teaspoon cayenne
2 teaspoons fresh rosemary
2 teaspoons fresh oregano
1 teaspoon crushed whole peppercorns
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon ground black pepper
2 lemons, quartered
1 large loaf crusty French bread

Preheat the cooker to about 300 degrees. Melt the butter in a large cast iron pan, then add the remaining ingredients, except the shrimp and bread, stir to mix well and bring to a simmer. Add the shrimp, and cook until the shrimp are pink and cooked through, about 30 minutes. Serve with hot French bread for dunking in the sauce. :thumb:
Love me some BBQ Shrimp.

Chargrilled Oysters would be a hit, but I don't know if you can get fresh oysters in SC. Too bad if you can't. These things rock.

Gumbo with chicken, smoked turkey necks and Andouille. Can give you my Andouille recipe if needed.

Sweet Crawfish Jalepeno cornbread
Fried Boudin Balls
Smoked Rabbit gumbo (or Coon)
Jambalaya - I have 2 award winning recipes I can send you.
Some type of Blackened fish
Shrimp Etouffee
Lightly smoked rabbit smothered down in onions and blackberry wine

Back