Redstone Smoker

gbaker770

Found some matches.
Reaction score
Anyone have any feedback on the Redstone 18 1/2" vertical? For $80 I wouldnt expect much but it looks like it has netter venting than my POS Master Forge. It is available at Tractor Supply Company.

I looked at one yesterday @ Tractor Supply foe $70. Looks like a cross between a WSM and a cheapo Brinkman. It will need a fire box mod to be efficient, but for $70, it may be worth a try.

I have a TSC right next door at work and was wondering about these as well. Hopefully someone on here will buy one and try it and let us know how it works. Maybe that person might even be me....

They didnt have one on display at my local store, but this weekend I'm gonna grow some balls and make them take it out of the box for me so I can look at it.
LOL!

So did anyone take the plunge yet? I saw this smoker today and was intrigued. So I Googled for some reviews and can't find a single review. At almost the top of the page was this thread.

They are $79 at my local TS and $69 online. They had one out and assembled. It looks like a descent entry level smoker. I'm not sure about the smoke stack on top but it can be closed off looks like.

I don't have any experience with a WSM or a lot of smoking experience in general or else I would buy it just to give everyone else some feedback.

I'm using an electric smoker now and will get a WSM one day but finances are not going to allow it this year. But maybe this WSM wannabe can tide me over if it's found to be half way OK.

I picked one up this morning, $69 in the store.

The box it came in.

bc7a1b88.jpg

The assembled smoker. Assembly was easy, no missing parts.

350fb75c.jpg

There are 2 rods in the lid and 6 hooks for hanging meat inside.

8f46ac79.jpg

There are gaps around the door and the smoker body, I will close those up with some Green Egg felt.

1d43af67.jpg

3 air vents at the bottom.

577352d8.jpg

Cheesy thermometer. I will replace with a better one.

594c27a5.jpg

The smoke stack. There are gaps around the stack and the ring used to bolt it to the lid.

8755e9dd.jpg

I will drill holes in the charcoal pan to increase air flow through the coals. It comes with a small grate to lift the charcoal above the ashes that will collect in the bottom of the pan. I think with a little work, it can be turned into a decent smoker. I have an IQ110 on order, that should help with keeping steady temps as well.

Let us all know how it works please. I looked at one at TSC yesterday and was very tepted for the price. I just don't understand why they installed the bottom cooking grate so low. Maybe they designed it for direct cooking on the bottom and smoking on the top. It just seemed kind of silly to me. Other than that it looked decent. I'm sure someone could modify this into a really nice smoker

I installed a different thermometer and am seasoning it now with a chimney full of Kingford and a large hickory chunk.

It is holding steady right now around 275, the stock thermometer is about 50 degrees off, which is typical with these cheap stock thermometers.

I did drill a bunch of holes in the charcoal pan for air flow.

3f0c7cdb.jpg

Any further updates on this. I'm visiting relatives and their tsc has it for 60. Was thinking about picking it up as a first foray into smoking. Anyone try cooking on it yet?

I've been looking for a cheap camping smoker and this might be the one. Hopefully the Captain and a few others will report back with good news.

I haven't tried mine yet, the tropical storm is rolling in now and very windy with some rain for the rest of the weekend.

I will say it should be fine though, just get enough holes in the charcoal pan for adequate air flow, and start smoking.

This thing should be similar performance wise to the ECB or the Brinkmann Gourmet charcoal smoker, in my humble opinion.

It isn't going to be a cheap way to get Weber Smokey Mountain performance, not a set it and forget it type of smoker.

Each cooker is different, you just have to figure out what works well for each particular one.

Thanks. I'm going to take another look at and will probably pick it up. For 60 it's hard to pass up.

It isn't going to be a cheap way to get Weber Smokey Mountain performance, not a set it and forget it type of smoker
I bet with the right mods, this will be just as set and forget as a WSM. My gourmet can go 12 hours on one load of fuel.

Course I did some good mods to it:

UDS style fire basket that sits 2" above bottom to allow room for ash to drop:

Gourmetcharcoalbasket001.jpg

Drilled lots of holes in original charcoal pan for air flow:

Gourmetcharcoalpan001.jpg

Stock thermo delete mod, notice the new thermo is right below the cooking grate:

Gourmetwholething001.jpg

Red Stone smoker help

Ok, I need help, please.
I want to make some mods on this but have never done it and would like some help. I see in the pics where to drill but what is the gap filler material?
I am good at BBQing and grilling just not very skilled with doing mods.

TIA,
dodger01 aka Mike

Back