Competition Sponsorship Questions

Hoosier Chef

Got Wood.
Reaction score
Hello. I am a classically trained chef with a passion for the que. I own a BBQ catering company and am planning to dive into competition this season. I know my way around a smoker, although competition is new to me. I've taken some classes, read a thousand pages from the masters (multiple times) and believe I am ready to tackle my first season. I am as ready as anyone that started in competition...at least I think so...lol.

Last night, I secured a sponsor to pay all entry fees, expenses and product. In return, I give back all winnings and money earned from vending. The goal is to break even and\or make them some cash in the form of fundraising. I will have all of the help I can handle provided by the sponsor, so I can concentrate on the competition, while others can work on the vending. I am not looking to profit from competitions at this point. I want the experience and hopefully some glory to establish my catering company. This would be a long term relationship with the sponsor, assuming I can break even and/or raise the sponsor some funds, while getting their name out to the public.

My question is this.....How much money can I expect to earn in vending at a small to medium sized competition? Is it a reasonable assumption that I could break even with local contests (nothing far away)?

Thanks for any input. If you see pitfalls in my plan, please point them out.

Have a good one.

Hello. I am a classically trained chef with a passion for the que. I own a BBQ catering company and am planning to dive into competition this season. I know my way around a smoker, although competition is new to me. I've taken some classes, read a thousand pages from the masters (multiple times) and believe I am ready to tackle my first season. I am as ready as anyone that started in competition...at least I think so...lol.

Last night, I secured a sponsor to pay all entry fees, expenses and product. In return, I give back all winnings and money earned from vending. The goal is to break even and\or make them some cash in the form of fundraising. I will have all of the help I can handle provided by the sponsor, so I can concentrate on the competition, while others can work on the vending. I am not looking to profit from competitions at this point. I want the experience and hopefully some glory to establish my catering company. This would be a long term relationship with the sponsor, assuming I can break even and/or raise the sponsor some funds, while getting their name out to the public.

My question is this.....How much money can I expect to earn in vending at a small to medium sized competition? Is it a reasonable assumption that I could break even with local contests (nothing far away)?

Thanks for any input. If you see pitfalls in my plan, please point them out.

Have a good one.

Vending at competitions isn't really done here so I can't comment on what you can expect to average but I am a little concerned with the sponsorship deal you cut. Let's say you have a superior year and end up at the Jack or Royal and winning the whole shooting match would be happy to hand over that check and all those before it to your sponsor? What business is your sponsor in?
Doc

Vending at competitions isn't really done here so I can't comment on what you can expect to average but I am a little concerned with the sponsorship deal you cut. Let's say you have a superior year and end up at the Jack or Royal and winning the whole shooting match would be happy to hand over that check and all those before it to your sponsor? What business is your sponsor in?
Doc

While I appreciate your faith in me, I am not expecting to take home Grand Champion at the Royal. Wait, let me dream about that for a second.......:pray:

This year is all about learning and the experience. There is no contract and the sponsor is a non-profit culinary organization that I am a member of. They are looking for some community exposure, while giving a few members the experience of competing. The sponsorship would take the pressure of expenses from me, so that I can concentrate on competing, while giving back to the organization.

While I appreciate your faith in me, I am not expecting to take home Grand Champion at the Royal.

I don't think anyone does.

As far as vending profits vs. comp expenses ... profits should outweigh expenses. Are you planning on vending at each comp you will be sponsored at?

This year is all about learning and the experience. There is no contract and the sponsor is a non-profit culinary organization that I am a member of. They are looking for some community exposure, while giving a few members the experience of competing. The sponsorship would take the pressure of expenses from me, so that I can concentrate on competing, while giving back to the organization.
Ahh now I see said the blind man. Sounds like it should work well for both of you. :thumb::thumb:

Biggest issue i see with your plan is that competition & vending is two different animals.

Most comps we go to they don't allow the competing teams to vend (at least not from their cook site), and they don't allow vendors to compete (from their vending site)

• Vendors require health dept. inspections, licensing, and ability to churn out a lot or product in a short time
  • Competition Teams: Don't have to have licenses or HD inspections (other than on-site meat inspection), and turn out very little product (but high quality).
There are some contests you can do both, but you have to be set up to do so.

If you vend you will pay all your expense, what is the plus for involving a sponsor? If you vend and give him the money the you are sponsoring him. Or I must be missing something.

Giving the sponsor the profit of vending and the winnings sounds like a SWEET deal for the sponsor.

Sounds like you are their workhorse.....
you could get some experience for just your effort...which is a big plus!!
A fair deal would be to give them the vending profits and you get any winnings :thumb:...or at least a portion of them

What is the KCBS rule on selling out of your contest pit? I am under the impression that it is verbotten!

Most comps around here don't have vending opportunities.

Also, most comp sites won't pass health dept vending requirements...

I'm toying with vending at a contest in St. Louis this fall, but if we do we'll take our vending pit / trailer and crew it whilst I contest cook out of my toyhauler.

Most comps we go to they don't allow the competing teams to vend (at least not from their cook site), and they don't allow vendors to compete (from their vending site)

Seems like around the Midwest it's the opposite. In order to vend, you must be a competition team and turn in at least one entry in order to vend again the following year.

This is what I see too. If there is vending opportunities, it is on a different part of the site.

Of course, I'm not talking about people's choice events, or samples.

Seems like around the Midwest it's the opposite. In order to vend, you must be a competition team and turn in at least one entry in order to vend again the following year.

Interesting.
We seem to get a mixed bag in the southeast, but for the most part, you rarely see a team that is competing, vending at the same event.

Sounds like you are their workhorse.....
you could get some experience for just your effort...which is a big plus!!
A fair deal would be to give them the vending profits and you get any winnings :thumb:...or at least a portion of them

Like I said before, I plan to concentrate on putting out the best product possible, without having to worry about costs involved the first few times out of the gate. I am doing it to support the organization I am a part of and is sponsoring, while gaining experience. It is a win-win.

What is the KCBS rule on selling out of your contest pit? I am under the impression that it is verbotten!

That is news to me, but I am a rookie. I read the entire rules book and supporting docs on KCBS.com and saw no mention of this. I could be wrong. I have sent an email to the contest sponsor for clarification.

I wonder if I smoke butts and brisket the day before and reheat onsite on a different pit or grill, if I can sidestep this supposed rule.

That's what I was lead to believe.

Interesting.
We seem to get a mixed bag in the southeast, but for the most part, you rarely see a team that is competing, vending at the same event.

I figure there will be lots of hungry folks wanting barbecue, while they watch the contest. I've got people that will focus on vending, while I focus on the comp. Like I said, I'm a rookie. I probably have lots of false assumptions, but that is why I posted the topic....to have you guys poke holes in my plan.

Thanks to all that responded. You definitely helped my brainstorm. I'll let you know if I actually will vend or not. It's tough being a rookie, cause you have to learn everything on the fly....

Have a good one.

Ford vends and competes using the same rig everywhere he goes. If he doesn't find this thread shoot him a PM and he will give you an idea on numbers.

It is...

Neil

What rule is that based on?

I wasn't aware of it and am unable to find it in KCBS' 2011 Rules and Regulations, so if it is a rule please point it out for Hoosier Chef's benefit (and the rest of us).

Yeah, I don't see where KCBS would have any jurisdiction over the vending part of a competition. That would be up to the local organizer and HD.

Back