The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/index.php)
-   Q-talk (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Coleslaw question (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=166964)

Higgledy 07-27-2013 02:11 PM

Coleslaw question

Can I make my coleslaw the night before without it getting soggy?

letdasmokeroll 07-27-2013 02:18 PM

im no expert but i think cole slaw is better made before hand it gives all the ingredients time to mix ...i just make sure i stir it ever few hours

sroderic 07-27-2013 03:01 PM

Might depend on the coleslaw, but I agree with letdasmokeroll...flavors blend better over time. Cabbage holds its crispness and texture over time really well. I made some vinegar based slaw last week (not the mayo stuff) and it still tastes as good today as it did the day after (which were both better than the first day).

Pyle's BBQ 07-27-2013 03:34 PM

What do your an by soggy? If you mean the cabbage getting softer than fresh. The answer is no. The vinegar will draw water out of the cabbage and cause it to wilt. If you don't want your slaw drowning in dressing, add half the amount of dressing you have and let it sit overnight. In the morning mix your slaw and add the desired among of dressing for your taste.

cpw 07-27-2013 04:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pyle's BBQ (Post 2567689)
What do your an by soggy? If you mean the cabbage getting softer than fresh. The answer is no. The vinegar will draw water out of the cabbage and cause it to wilt. If you don't want your slaw drowning in dressing, add half the amount of dressing you have and let it sit overnight. In the morning mix your slaw and add the desired among of dressing for your taste.

That's exactly what I do. Sometimes I pour off a little of the liquid first, before adding the additional dressing.

HeSmellsLikeSmoke 07-27-2013 05:53 PM

I believe it gets soggy after an hour or so, but more importantly the cabbage loses volume as it gets soggy. This makes people think they are getting less coleslaw than when it is crispy.

I cut up the cabbage and mix up the dressing the day before then combine it all about an hour before serving.

ironmanerik 07-27-2013 06:21 PM

I always try to let mine sit overnight, minimum 3-4 hours, the longer it sits the better it is.

caseydog 07-27-2013 06:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by letdasmokeroll (Post 2567617)
im no expert but i think cole slaw is better made before hand it gives all the ingredients time to mix ...i just make sure i stir it ever few hours

Yeah, I personally thing cole slaw is better after it sits in the fridge overnite. Same as with potato salad and most soups and gumbos.

No, it won't go soggy. Yes, the flavors will melt together. Cole slaw is one of those foods you can prepare way in advance, and it actually tastes better.

CD

caseydog 07-27-2013 06:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HeSmellsLikeSmoke (Post 2567780)
I believe it gets soggy after an hour or so, but more importantly the cabbage loses volume as it gets soggy. This makes people think they are getting less coleslaw than when it is crispy.

I cut up the cabbage and mix up the dressing the day before then combine it all about an hour before serving.

This is the first time I have EVER heard ANYONE say that coleslaw is best served freshly mixed. But, we all have our own tastes, and mine isn't any better than yours.

I guess I need to try you method next time, and see what I think of it.

CD

IamMadMan 07-27-2013 07:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by caseydog (Post 2567813)
Yeah, I personally thing cole slaw is better after it sits in the fridge overnite. Same as with potato salad and most soups and gumbos.

No, it won't go soggy. Yes, the flavors will melt together. Cole slaw is one of those foods you can prepare way in advance, and it actually tastes better.

CD

I agree.....

LMAJ 07-27-2013 07:44 PM

I like the dressing mixed the day before, but dressed just before serving...

HookedOnQ 07-27-2013 09:22 PM

I alway make mine up and let it sit in the fridge a couple hours or over nite if possable. As others have said I think its better after it sits awhile.

silverfinger 07-27-2013 09:29 PM

I know guerry's slaw has been talked about here on this forum allot and many have made it including myself and in the recipe it says to let it sit overnight.
It's the only slaw I've ever made. It did not seem to be soggy to me. Very crispy actually.

marubozo 07-27-2013 10:11 PM

I think it depends heavily on the type of slaw you're making and your personal preferences. I make a few different types of slaw, and those that tend to be more heavily dressed and/or more creamy, certainly benefit from at least an overnight rest, and are good for about a week. Then I have a few others that very lightly dressed, vinegar based, and even sometimes include fresh apples, where I think they are absolutely best served fresh and lose quality over time.

Experiment with it and see what you think as there's really no right or wrong answer as long as you like it.

HeSmellsLikeSmoke 07-27-2013 11:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by marubozo (Post 2568044)
I think it depends heavily on the type of slaw you're making and your personal preferences. I make a few different types of slaw, and those that tend to be more heavily dressed and/or more creamy, certainly benefit from at least an overnight rest, and are good for about a week. Then I have a few others that very lightly dressed, vinegar based, and even sometimes include fresh apples, where I think they are absolutely best served fresh and lose quality over time.

Experiment with it and see what you think as there's really no right or wrong answer as long as you like it.

My slaw dressing is primarily Helman's Mayo with sweet pickle Juice and cider vinegar. As I say above, I like to dress the slaw about an hour before serving. The slaw is totally covered in dressing in what I consider medium dressed. I don't salt the shredded cabbage nor add salt to the dressing.

I dislike it wilted so much that I will eat it the next day if need be, but will toss it thereafter.