Kettle Snake Method

motoeric

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
Hi,

I realize that there are other 'snake' and 'ring of fire' threads out there, but I was hoping to get down to some serious specifics.

I'm trying to figure out exactly how to form the snake itself. From the various images that I've seen, it seems that the construction of the 'rows' that form the snake are three briquettes on the first row, two on the second and one on the top. It also seems that these are interspersed with small wood chunks at 20%, 40%, 60% and 80% of the way through.

The most common comments that I've read seem to indicate that you use between 10 and 15 hot coals to start the snake going, while leaving the bottom and top vents all the way open.

Using a snake that goes roughly 80% around the kettle, it seems that I should get a good 8 hours of burn at 250 (conservatively).

Are those estimates accurate? Is there anything that you would change?

I would be using a half-pan with tepid water unless there is a compelling argument not to.

Any input would be appreciated!

Thanks,

Eric

2 Weber 22" Kettles.

I'll be using them at a competition where I need to simultaneously cook 1 brisket, 3 racks of beef ribs, 12 chicken thighs and some beans.

Eric

Actually, simultaneously is the wrong word. Those are the items that we need to cook for turn-ins.

Eric

How long of a cook do you get out of that and what temperature are you cooking at?

Thanks!

Eric

Bit hard to judge the size of the briquettes you use.
I run 2 side by side leaning on the ones in front with a row of one on top touching, with wood/pods as required and get about 12 hours at 225 to 250 using the bottom vent to control.
ambient would be about 65.
Got the idea from Kevin at the ABBQ forum

I didnt stack anything, thats for scientific folk. I had a 8 or 10 inch cast iron pot that went right up to grate level, filled the ring nearly to the grate leaving a 6 or so inch gap in the ring. threw about 12 lit briqs on one end, lasted me ~6 hours.

Back