The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/index.php)
-   Q-talk (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Cast or stainless (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=156773)

Mo-Dave 03-22-2013 11:06 AM

Cast or stainless

I went to give my gas grill its semi-annual clean up, and found the entire bottom plate under the burners was completely disintegrated, so time to find a new gas grill, I just don't want to mess with it.

While looking on line I found burners made of either stainless, or cast iron, and wonder if anyone could tell me if one holds up better than the other, or does a better job?

I have been searching Craigslist for a weber gasser, but have found nothing close enough to me. Also does anyone have any experience with the Beefeater grills? Thanks in advance.
Dave

SmokinSlowPoke 03-22-2013 11:32 AM

Depending on the quality of the SS burners, they SHOULD hold up much better than cast. That being said a cheap grill will use cheap componenets so you will have to use your judgement on the particular grill your looking at. Cast Iron isnt a bad product, but its more prone to rust/corrosion than stainless steel in almost every scenario.

bobaftt 03-22-2013 12:05 PM

wait for a weber. I have aquired several by being patient and it is ALWAYS worth it. My grandkids will probably cook on it, and I don't even have kids yet.

tish 03-22-2013 12:42 PM

Agree with bobafft. Definitely worth the wait. Mine is built like a tank, and the cooking and clean up is effortless. Go Weber, or go home. :thumb:

thirtydaZe 03-22-2013 12:44 PM

scrap the gasser all together!

tish 03-22-2013 12:46 PM

Gassers have their place, and I'm glad I have mine. Nothing better when you're in a screaming hurry, but still want to eat well. :grin:

Mark 03-22-2013 12:55 PM

I would like to know where I can get cast iron replacement burnes for gas grills. In my experience, the "stainless" burners are thin and a poor grade of stainless; because they rust out within about 3 years on average.

Mo-Dave 03-22-2013 12:56 PM

Yes I have to have a gasser, because I suck at time management. Many times I just do not have the time to start up a smoker, or even charcoal, never mind that the wife is very particular about what food I smoke and what I grill.
Dave

Mo-Dave 03-22-2013 01:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark (Post 2418091)
I would like to know where I can get cast iron replacement burnes for gas grills. In my experience, the "stainless" burners are thin and a poor grade of stainless; because they rust out within about 3 years on average.

I would just be concerned cast would not match up and work for your grill if it had stainless to start with.
Dave

HankB 03-22-2013 01:40 PM

Add my vote for a Weber gasser - the traditional ones. Continue to watch CL for some deals. There are a lot around here and who knows, you might even find someone giving one away. (I got a Genesis Silver B with upgraded SS grates and flavorizers and propane tank for free.)

Things to look for:
- Grate - porcelain coated steel is not overly durable. I much prefer SS or CI.
- Flavorizers - Weber makes SS and PC (porcelain coated) and PC is not durable.
- Warped fire box - likely result of a grease fire when unattended.
- rust through on the frame to the left side of the fire box. Seems to be a problem with some years. I've seen it on the first ones with the thermometer in the middle of the hood.
- some of the higher end models have a liner inside the hood which probably makes them a little more efficient.
- choose propane or natural gas. Regardless of what the seller says, Weber no longer sells conversion kits.
- check the crossover tube for the burners as that's the part that seems to fail first. I'm not sure if you can get that by itself of need to buy the entire set.
- If you get an older propane grill, be wary of the quick disconnect WRT getting replacement tanks or getting tanks filled. It is probably a good idea to check with a local propane dealer to see what the local situation is as it will be covered by state law. An old tank may not be so much a liability however as exchange places may exchange them regardless. (I took a couple old non-conforming tanks to Menards and pointed out the age and valves and lack of OPD and they shrugged and exchanged them anyway.)

Worn out 'wear items' such as grates and flavorizers are not necessarily a liability. You just need to know what the costs are going to be when you negotiate purchase price. And you get to choose better stuff like SS parts which will last you longer.

I have a Silver A (two burner) that's about 12 years with SS flavorizers and CI grate that is one of the most used grills in my arsenal. Even when I'm using charcoal, it's great to have handy for keeping food warm as it comes off the kettle (particularly when the cold winter winds blow!)

Or spend $$$ and buy a shiny new one, get the factory warranty and enjoy!

Mark 03-22-2013 01:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mo-Dave (Post 2418098)
I would just be concerned cast would not match up and work for your grill if it had stainless to start with.
Dave

Yeah: I would be pleasantly suprised if anything other than cheap/thin stainles steel replacement burners was optional.

Mo-Dave 03-22-2013 02:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HankB (Post 2418140)
Add my vote for a Weber gasser - the traditional ones. Continue to watch CL for some deals. There are a lot around here and who knows, you might even find someone giving one away. (I got a Genesis Silver B with upgraded SS grates and flavorizers and propane tank for free.)

Things to look for:
- Grate - porcelain coated steel is not overly durable. I much prefer SS or CI.
- Flavorizers - Weber makes SS and PC (porcelain coated) and PC is not durable.
- Warped fire box - likely result of a grease fire when unattended.
- rust through on the frame to the left side of the fire box. Seems to be a problem with some years. I've seen it on the first ones with the thermometer in the middle of the hood.
- some of the higher end models have a liner inside the hood which probably makes them a little more efficient.
- choose propane or natural gas. Regardless of what the seller says, Weber no longer sells conversion kits.
- check the crossover tube for the burners as that's the part that seems to fail first. I'm not sure if you can get that by itself of need to buy the entire set.
- If you get an older propane grill, be wary of the quick disconnect WRT getting replacement tanks or getting tanks filled. It is probably a good idea to check with a local propane dealer to see what the local situation is as it will be covered by state law. An old tank may not be so much a liability however as exchange places may exchange them regardless. (I took a couple old non-conforming tanks to Menards and pointed out the age and valves and lack of OPD and they shrugged and exchanged them anyway.)

Worn out 'wear items' such as grates and flavorizers are not necessarily a liability. You just need to know what the costs are going to be when you negotiate purchase price. And you get to choose better stuff like SS parts which will last you longer.

I have a Silver A (two burner) that's about 12 years with SS flavorizers and CI grate that is one of the most used grills in my arsenal. Even when I'm using charcoal, it's great to have handy for keeping food warm as it comes off the kettle (particularly when the cold winter winds blow!)

Or spend $$$ and buy a shiny new one, get the factory warranty and enjoy!

Thanks, thats all good to know
Dave

oifmarine2003 03-22-2013 02:57 PM

Even cheap Stainless (200 or 400 series), which I am sure it is, will hold up better than cast.

Johnny_Crunch 03-22-2013 03:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by oifmarine2003 (Post 2418227)
Even cheap Stainless (200 or 400 series), which I am sure it is, will hold up better than cast.

Agreed! I have tried the cast replacements and they lasted less than a year.

Mo-Dave 03-22-2013 03:11 PM

Well I just came from Craigslist, low and behold I found a weber gasser. It was a very old man and he could not tell me much except it was a 3 burner, but sometimes only one burner would light. so it needs some work. I wont be able to look at it until tomorrow, my wife is out with the truck now. He gave me directions and he is only about 3 miles from me, he had to ask his wife what rd they lived on before he could do that, bless his hart, not sure what model, but he said it may be a silver, or genies not sure. Now if we don't get all the snow they say we are I may be good to go. Did I mention its free? :clap:
Dave

oifmarine2003 03-22-2013 03:47 PM

That is my favorite price!

mbshop 03-22-2013 04:04 PM

in most cases its still worth it to rebuild a weber gasser than to buy some junky other brand. good luck.

CharredApron 03-22-2013 04:05 PM

Quote:

I agree on the grade of stainless. I bought cast iron replacements for my gasser at the home depot. They have outlasted and create more heat than the SS ones. I did have to make some mods for mine to fit.

Mo-Dave 03-22-2013 07:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mbshop (Post 2418311)
in most cases its still worth it to rebuild a weber gasser than to buy some junky other brand. good luck.

When I called the man he laughed, because he had just rolled it back into his garage. This tells me it has been taken care of, or out of the weather, so I am thinking its not a big problem.
Dave

Budman1 03-22-2013 07:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mo-Dave (Post 2418240)
Well I just came from Craigslist, low and behold I found a weber gasser. It was a very old man and he could not tell me much except it was a 3 burner, but sometimes only one burner would light. so it needs some work. I wont be able to look at it until tomorrow, my wife is out with the truck now. He gave me directions and he is only about 3 miles from me, he had to ask his wife what rd they lived on before he could do that, bless his hart, not sure what model, but he said it may be a silver, or genies not sure. Now if we don't get all the snow they say we are I may be good to go. Did I mention its free? :clap:
Dave

Take a bottle of whiskey with you, chances are the old man might do one or two with you. :razz:

HankB 03-22-2013 10:08 PM

Potentially great score. All burners not lighting might be as simple as burners needing cleaning or could be the crossover tube deteriorating.

If it's free going to be hard to negotiate a lower price. :wink:

Hankdad1 03-22-2013 11:40 PM

I bought my Weber Genesis 3000lx new on 8/15/99 (no craig's list back then). Since then I have replaced the flavorizer bars with a SS set from ebay. That is the only repair/improvement I've made in 14 years. It doesn't get near the use it used too since I've switched to lump, but she's out there ready for a quick burger or using the side burner for something too smelly to cook inside.

benniesdad 03-23-2013 06:41 AM

Dave - sounds like the wait was worth it. Given the fact that it is free, unless it is a total peice of junk, the only thing I would really worry about is the frame being solid. Everything else can be replaced. Nice thing about it being a Weber is that parts will be available from a couple of different sources. Hope it works out well for you.

luke duke 03-23-2013 07:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HankB (Post 2418140)
Things to look for:

Weber will no longer sell you the parts to convert your grill. You can get the parts from a 3rd party dealer if you know what to get. If you grill has already been converted and you want to convert it back to it's original state, Weber will sell you those parts.

You can get them by themselves.

see above

luke duke 03-23-2013 07:32 AM

This ebay seller also sells improved flavorizer bars made from thicker stainless. I bought 3 sets from him last year when I refurbed the Webers at the neighborhood pool and I was very satisfied.

http://www.ebay.com/sch/rcplanebuyer...&_trksid=p3686

Mo-Dave 03-23-2013 04:02 PM

weber update

Went and picked up the weber gas grill this morning, it is not in as pristine shape as I had thought it would be, but it is not beat up either. The crossover tube is shot but I can light all 3 burners with a lighter, only need to light one to get them all going. I found the crossover tube at a couple places for less than 10.00 so that is not a biggie.

The one thing that has me a little stumped are the grates, this one has a 3 pc grate, and I do not think they are original because they will not lay flat but instead either the backside or the front side has to be up or down to fit. At first I thought maybe they were like that so you could cook at different levels but after doing a search I can not find any 3 pc grates to fit it. Again not a real biggie I just used the grates out of my old gasser and they fit just right.

They only other item is the temp gauge, it does not work, and I can't for the life of me figure how to get it out, again I can order one for about ten bucks if I can get this one out otherwise I may just drill a hole and put in one I have on my old grill. He even gave me the bottle and my bottle off of my other grill fit right up, so no worries there.

This is a Silver B 3 burner, I think, and I forgot to ask how old, but I am sure its is close to around 10 years old, he said he just put in new stainless flavorizer bars about a year ago, and the frame is solid, so I think its a keeper.

If the snow storm will stay on hold for a couple more hours I may just toss on a couple pork steaks in a little while. Life is good. :biggrin1:
Dave

caseydog 03-23-2013 04:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tish (Post 2418070)
Agree with bobafft. Definitely worth the wait. Mine is built like a tank, and the cooking and clean up is effortless. Go Weber, or go home. :thumb:

Me, too. I had a Charbroil "Commercial" gasser with solid brass burners. I figured that would last forever. Problem is, the inner structure of the grill rusted out in three years -- in Dallas. :mmph:

My dad has a Weber Genesis in Houston that is stored outside. It is at least ten years old. He's never replaced a single part on it.

FYI, the Genesis and Summit Webers are Made in USA, the Sprit series grills are not.

CD

bbqbull 03-23-2013 04:19 PM

Quote:

My gasser is 12 yrs old and my s/s burners work fine.

benniesdad 03-23-2013 04:52 PM

Mo-Dave - would love to see some pictures of your find. Sure sounds like it won't take much to get it back to complete working order. Good snag.

Mo-Dave 03-24-2013 02:10 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Sorry for the poor photo, it got dark and started raining last night, but I did cook on it. I grilled some pork steaks. ancho chilies, and mushrooms, also had baked sweet potatoes, and cease salad, it really hit the spot.

Does anyone know how the the temp gauge goes in and out of the lid? I tried channel locks, but could not budge it and stopped before I broke it, did not see any threads or nuts.

It was a little different having the burners going from right to left, instead of front to back but I think I will like that. Also like the flat top on the cover, nice for keeping pans and such warm. Also had no flare ups like my old grill would have, I even oiled the grates and brushed oil on the veges from time to time with not problems.
Dave

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/at...1&d=1364151391

Bob S 03-24-2013 04:05 PM

On that model the temp gauge just pulls out. It was designed to double as a meat thermometer if I recall correctly. It is probably just stuck from many years of cooking.

Mo-Dave 03-24-2013 04:18 PM

Thanks Bob, I just came inside to post that I got it out, and it came out very easy, I must have loosened it up when I cooked on it last night. It is shot, so I guess I can go ahead and order that, plus the crossover tube now, it will help a little on shipping. Can't really think of anything else it needs, except a drip pan, thought I would just rig up a coffee can underneath for now. I do have one other question, the lid handle is stanined and was wondering if anyone knows what will clean that up? I am guessing it is grease stain.
Dave

HankB 03-24-2013 04:55 PM

That's the three burner model of my Silver A. In fact, at one time I had one just like it.

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/--...1010273-PP.JPG

Then I found a Gold C and sold the Silver B. Then I finally talked my fishing buddy into replacing his Brinkman with a Weber and gave him my Gold C so now all I have is the Silver A (and a Q-220) and they meet my needs for a gasser.

Mo-Dave 03-24-2013 05:33 PM

Yep, its the one on the right, I see you did not have any temp gauges on either one. In fact, I rarely use any gauges on my gasser only to check internal food temps, thought I would go ahead and get one to have a better understanding of whats going on inside, until I have it figured out, but don't think its a real necessity.
Dave

HankB 03-24-2013 10:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mo-Dave (Post 2421136)
... I see you did not have any temp gauges on either one.

The same gauge fits the Master Touch and SS Performer. I have more grills that use those gauges than gauges and swap them around when I need them, so you can't really come to any conclusions because you don't see one in the picture. :wink:

Mo-Dave 03-24-2013 11:39 PM

Got it, kind of like don't hear what I did not say.
Dave