• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Smoker build-slowly but surely

Muscrat

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
Well I have decided to build a new smoker on wheels. I haven't any imagination so I have taken ideas from other builds and combining them into one!! Hope nobody get bent out of shape! LOL

I have come to a stopping point and can't decide my next move. The floor for the trailer- solid or expanded metal.

View attachment 65048

View attachment 65049

So far it's a 2x3 tube frame, 1 3500lb axel. 13' total length so far.

Most all of the floor will be covered up so I'm thinking expanded metal.

What do y'all think?

Last edited:
When you say most of the floor will be covered, covered with what? Are you going to have storage if so you might want that to be solid with steel or wood as to keep everything clean. I would see no need to have anything under the smoker itself just leave open that will save material.

The one im building now will have a solid prep top on the other side of trailer with sink and locking storage under for all equipment.
Just my opinion.

The fire box will be 24"x24" insulated and the chamber is 26" dia and 5' long. It will be offset to the drivers side. The passenger side next to the firebox will be a steak and chicken pit(square). In front of that will be a large p/u tool box that will house air and water tanks for the hand washing station and will also carry wood and charcoal. There will be another box on the tongue that will be for more storage.

So actually right under the chamber and 1' across the front will be the only thing that's not covered.

Cover it under the chamber. If wood happens to get wet you can lay it under the chamber and the heat will help dry it out ro even more storage.

Solid where needed, and expanded everywhere else. You'd be surprised how fast the weight will increase by using solid steel for the entire floor. When I built mine, I used solid for the entire base. The only problem was that once I got done, the trailer weighed in at 3900 lbs, but I only had a 3500 lb rated axle. By the time I replaced the axle with a 5200 lb rated axle, which required new tires and wheels, that little mistake cost me $2,200.

Got a little more progress I'll post this evening when I can take the pics!!!!

Got the trailer part done and the axle mounted. Also got the chamber welded together. This week I'll get the metal for the fire box.

View attachment 65368

Last edited:
Well finally payday came around and I got some metal sheared for the inner fire box. The insulation is next.

Does anybody know where the best place is to get the insulation for the fire box? I think some have used a fiber wool board or something like that.

View attachment 65598

I'll try to get a few more pics tomorrow. I have the cap for the chamber now. I'll get it welded on and then time for some grinding.

I did learn that a good grinder makes a bad welder look good.

Last edited:
Man being broke sucks, but I finally made some progress on the new stick burner. I'll post pics this weekend!!

Man being broke sucks, but I finally made some progress on the new stick burner. I'll post pics this weekend!!

Amen to that.
I try to build one in the winter when my busniess slows down and always have to scrounge for funds at the end.
Just about got the newest one done and im in the same spot, got a few things left then paint.
Nice looking build is it going to be a Jambo clone? just wondering looking at the fire box.
Keep the pics coming.

Yeah it's built on the same principal as a jambo. I keep watching the BBQ shows and keep on seeing the top teams with one so there must be something to the way it's designed they like. So off I went building one!!

Thanks on the comments and yes there's more pics to come!!

I just have a hard time getting past the axle mounted directly to the frame. Are you worried about bumps in the road knocking everything arround?

-Jeep

Looks like you are doing a great job! But do share Jeep's concern about the axle mounted directly to the frame.

One of the reasons I didn't put springs was I wanted to keep it low to the ground. I figure I can run the tires about 25psi to help absorb some of the bumps. Plus I don't plan on pulling it very far. Had I done more research I would have used a torsion axel instead but this one was welded on already. It's not optimum but oh we'll.

Keep the comments coming. Hopefully someone will catch a mistake before it happens!! LOL

I didn't get to work on the smoker but I did get to do some cooking on the uds for the zombie response team. Pics coming shortly

One of the reasons I didn't put springs was I wanted to keep it low to the ground. I figure I can run the tires about 25psi to help absorb some of the bumps. Plus I don't plan on pulling it very far. Had I done more research I would have used a torsion axel instead but this one was welded on already. It's not optimum but oh we'll.

Keep the comments coming. Hopefully someone will catch a mistake before it happens!! LOL

Hmmm...my experience pulling my own trailer is that when the tire pressure is too low in my trailer tires I get a really bad back and forth sway with my trailer. maybe it's just my set-up. It will be interesting to see how yours will do. That firebox looks great and the frame looks like it'll be nice and strong. Keep the pics flowing bro!

I have to say that I think that you are making a HUGE mistake not putting springs on the axle and mounting them to the frame of the trailer. You're going to have a VERY bumpy ride with out them. And running your tires that low has it's own sets of issues also. You could likely blow one out and/or damage a rim. Not sure I'd want to be towing thousands of lbs behind me at any real speed if and when that happens.

Back