The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/index.php)
-   Catering, Food Handling and Awareness (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=30)
-   -   What sets you apart? (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=99878)

Manny69 01-31-2011 07:54 PM

What sets you apart?

I am wanting to know what everyone feels sets them apart from their local competition? What makes your BBQ better than theirs?

txschutte 01-31-2011 08:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Redneck Firehouse BBQ (Post 1532093)
I am wanting to know what everyone feels sets them apart from their local competition? What makes your BBQ better than theirs?

I really think this is a question better dealt to my customers. I feel I have a very loyal client base that seems to be growing.

My stuff speaks for itself.

jbrink01 01-31-2011 09:31 PM

It tastes better.

landarc 01-31-2011 09:47 PM

As an experience BBQ customer...and for background, I have three places I will buy BBQ from and all are at least 20 minutes farther away from me than 4 closer locations.

1. Fresh food, I hate getting food that was cooked 8 hours ago and just sitting there getting hard and dry. I have been served some real garbage and then been told 'that hard surface is the bark', 'BBQ is supposed to be dry', 'we chop our brisket, that's how it is in Texas'...

2. Show some pride in your food, I don't want to have to dig through the pork to eat some brisket. And if it has to be drowned in sauce or hidden by fries, then I won't be back.

3. Treat me nicely, not like a VIP, but, act like my business is appreciated. So many of the places out here, the person at the counter makes me feel like I an interrupting their day.

Bbq Bubba 02-01-2011 07:13 AM

The passion and love i put into my BBQ.

The great reviews help too. :thumb:

Bamabuzzard 02-01-2011 08:27 AM

Amen! :clap2:

Though I haven't won any bbq competitions or have owned any restaurants I do know the difference between high quality bbq and low quality bbq. From a consumer standpoint:

1. I want tender fresh bbq. Don't serve me something that looks like its been sitting under a heating lamp all day.

2. DON'T SHORT ME ON MY SIDES!!! This is the most common complaint I have (even with the good Q joints) with most Q joints. If I order potato salad and beans then by god I want a helpin' of potato salad and beans. Not some sample size that after two or three bites its gone.

3. Friendly staff. BBQ traditionally is done around a pit with family and friends having a good time. Just because someone has brought it inside a restaurant and trying to make money doesn't mean they have to have staff that when you ask for something "looks like it ruined their day."

Quote:

Originally Posted by landarc (Post 1532223)
As an experience BBQ customer...and for background, I have three places I will buy BBQ from and all are at least 20 minutes farther away from me than 4 closer locations.

1. Fresh food, I hate getting food that was cooked 8 hours ago and just sitting there getting hard and dry. I have been served some real garbage and then been told 'that hard surface is the bark', 'BBQ is supposed to be dry', 'we chop our brisket, that's how it is in Texas'...

2. Show some pride in your food, I don't want to have to dig through the pork to eat some brisket. And if it has to be drowned in sauce or hidden by fries, then I won't be back.

3. Treat me nicely, not like a VIP, but, act like my business is appreciated. So many of the places out here, the person at the counter makes me feel like I an interrupting their day.

Gowan 02-01-2011 11:56 AM

The owners are at the restaurant daily.

Practically all of our fare is homemade in our kitchen, right down to the salad dressings.

Full table service with china.

Diverse menu features BBQ, but includes seafood, salads, steaks... even a nice wine list.

Strong investment in the community we serve.

chambersuac 02-01-2011 12:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by txschutte (Post 1532161)
I really think this is a question better dealt to my customers. I feel I have a very loyal client base that seems to be growing.

My stuff speaks for itself.

Especially since you got your yellow banana hammock. :becky:

I was in the restaurant industry for years - though never a Q place. Any successful place will have fresh food, clean eating area/serving window, and friendly people. It's a shame, but too often those basics seem to be completely ignored.

I always greeted my patrons with real gratitude. I knew that they had other choices of places to eat that meal, but chose to come into mine - helping me pay my bills instead of someone else. Why would I not show them appreciation???

big brother smoke 02-01-2011 12:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bbq Bubba (Post 1532450)
The passion and love i put into my BBQ.

The great reviews help too. :thumb:

Nuff said, Outstanding response :thumb:

landarc 02-01-2011 01:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chambersuac (Post 1532872)
...I always greeted my patrons with real gratitude. I knew that they had other choices of places to eat that meal, but chose to come into mine - helping me pay my bills instead of someone else. Why would I not show them appreciation???

Indeed, it makes sense, and yet, all to often I find that people on the counter lack exactly that. I do not need to be treated like a king, just with some level of happiness that I am there.

I do have to say, I really do like a little passion with my food. If the person serving or cooking appears to genuinely love that they are doing, even more so if they are willing to talk with me, I will come back as I believe they will get better.

On an aside, I am not the most foodie or wine snob looking guy, I do not reek of money (which is not odd, since I am not wealthy :mad:) but, I know food and beverage and I really detest being talked down to. And I get it often. The surest way to never see me again...when I comment or complain that something is not right, don't cop an attitude that I don't know what I am talking about.

OL' Timer 02-01-2011 04:07 PM

"I know food and beverage and I really detest being talked down to. And I get it often. The surest way to never see me again...when I comment or complain that something is not right, don't cop an attitude that I don't know what I am talking about."
You hit the nail on the head with that statement. With 40 years as an executive chef and I still get talked down to because he is a cook or owner who knows everything. I'm still learning and only a fool thinks he knows everything and has nothing to learn.

landarc 02-01-2011 05:12 PM

40 years as a chef, geez, when are you get serious and get a real job? :heh:

Bigmista 02-01-2011 10:32 PM

The love that goes into the food.

42BBQ 02-02-2011 07:19 AM

I don't own or operate a place to eat, I have never competed. However, I can speak to why, I believe, my family and friends LOVE what I make. Tender, Loving, Care. I put all the passion and love I have for food into every time I Que. I do everything I can think of to make it the best dang Que they ever had. I am not perfect, I don't always "nail the brisket" etc. But when you are passionate about what you put out there, it is bound to make folks happy. I love every time I get to fire up my drum or pit, it always brings me joy.

OL' Timer 02-02-2011 09:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by landarc (Post 1533393)
40 years as a chef, geez, when are you get serious and get a real job? :heh:

Thays why I had the mini strokes was the pressure and the doc retired me as I sure didn't want to. Love doing what my grand dad did, smoking and its a lot less stressfull.