• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

chipolte

bobaftt

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
I was wondering if anyone has made chipolte powder with green japs instead of red ones? I want to do a big batch but my little jap plants don't put out enough jalapenos to do it.

Google is a great place to ask those "stupid" questions. They really aren't
stupid, but it can save a little chiding from your friends. :-D

John

A smoked green jalapeno is still a chipotle.

Generally speaking, chipotle in English refers to any smoked chile pepper. The Spanish word chipotle is a contraction of chilpotle in the Náhuatl language of the Aztecs, where chil referred to the hot pepper and potle was derived from poctli, meaning smoked. The word was apparently reversed from Náhuatl, where it originally was spelled pochilli.

- Fiery Foods

Trivia: Meco (brown) chipotles are made from green jalapenos and are
actually preferred in Mexico over the morita chipotles, which are made from
red jalapenos.

John

Sorry to pipe in, but chipotles are actually any type of smoked dried pepper. Not just jalapenos.

Some peppers do have specific names like Ancho which are dried Poblano peppers but these are not typically smoked

Here is a link that best describes the origin of the name chipotle;
http://www.spicesolution.com/the_meaning_of_chipotle.html

However, the word chipotle is assumed to mean smoked jalapeno to most, but the important bit of info, is that it must be fully ripe.

Hope this helps
-Jay (chilehead)

Trivia: Meco (brown) chipotles are made from green jalapenos and are
actually preferred in Mexico over the morita chipotles, which are made from
red jalapenos.

John

Check that, I guess they are both made from red ripe peppers. One is just smoked longer.

My bad,
John

What variety of jalapeño is used most often, as in the authentic type?

I grow generic Jalapenos and let them ripen until red. Smoke them overnight and then they spend the next day in a dehydrator. I grind them for storage, never tried making adobe sauce.:p

DSCF0526.jpg

1 jar is Chipotle, the other is Cayenne. If you forget which is which, just crack the lid and take a whiff. The Chipotle smells smokey.

maybe a stupid question, but since fresh jalapenos are near impossibe to get around here (and chipotle isn't available as well), could normal peppers be used as a substitute??

maybe a stupid question, but since fresh jalapenos are near impossibe to get around here (and chipotle isn't available as well), could normal peppers be used as a substitute??

What do you mean by normal peppers? If you are talking bell peppers. No, they would not work. In chipotle you are looking for some heat and bell peppers don't have enough. Have you tried mail order for chipotle. A new side business, importing chipotle powder.

Back