• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

rate box again please

R

RoadHawgBBQ

getting used to posting pics..
love the harsh critics... that is what i am looking for thanks
already heard too much greenery on last box

Last edited by a moderator:
i am using flickr so i dont understand y the pics do not always work... like our bbq hit and mostly miss

Attachments

• 429201_361049500601743_2043145143_n.jpg
    429201_361049500601743_2043145143_n.jpg
    63.6 KB · Views: 228
  • 417733_361021200604573_100000900878635_1063248_726209473_n.jpg
    417733_361021200604573_100000900878635_1063248_726209473_n.jpg
    39.6 KB · Views: 230
Last edited by a moderator:
We don't judge greenery, but it definitely affects your score. The greenery being uneven around the edges definitely detracts from the overall impression on both boxes. Try building the box and then setting the meat on the greenery. Symmetry is important - the upper right corner of the pork box is empty. try to get the money muscle sliced evenly and when you have nice looking medallions - highlight them by their placement in the box. My first impression of your ribs is that they are probably a little undercooked because I don't see any bone on the ends. Both boxes a solid 7

Pork box - 6 Pulled looks messy and draws attention from the slices. Maybe shingle the slices some to make them appear as though they take up more room in the box.

Rib box - 7 The color is excellent and they have a nice sheen. The cuts are uneven and not straight.

Parsley still looks bushy. Maybe push it lower into the box and make it look a little more even around the edges of the box.

You are on your way for sure. I like the sheen on your meat, you simply need to work on your greens and placement of the meat. Though we are not to judge the meat your greens should not distract from us looking at the meat.

Pork 6. Big hole in the upper right corner. Looks like money muscle was a after thought. Spreading it out may help. The pulled looks like you just threw it into the box.

Ribs 7. Color and sheen look good. Would push them together for a tighter look. Also I would change it so the Ribs on the right are sitting on top of the ribs on the left.

Hope that helps. keith

Pork = 6 - Not that visually appetizing to me. Too much sauce on the pulled, the MM needs to be fanned out to fill the top of the box and to show some of the surface, the pulled looks like it was just dumped in, there appears to be something besides parsley in the upper left and upper right - distracting from the appearance of the meat.
Ribs = 8 - color looks good, cuts are uneven, sauce is a bit unevenly spread also, I like the fact that you can see the side of the ribs (at least one rib), but they would probably look better touching instead of spread apart, looks pretty appetizing to me.

Pork 5. Maybe it's the angle of the photo but I DO NOT want to reach into that box. Hole in the upper right corner. Spread out the money muscle The pulled is VERY unappetizing, looks over sauced and just tossed in the box.

Ribs 7. Color and gloss is nice. I'd use a different rib in the center, that one looks a lot lower than the others. Fill the box!

Wow, rough crowd, but I tend to agree. 6 on pork, 8 on ribs

honestly, you're risking run-away garnish... IMHO

In addition to what folks have said about the meat, it seems like you need to build a better garnish "base" in your boxes; this can be done by using leaf lettuce under the parsley or just cramming a ton of parsley into the box forming the ubiquitous putting green. This will raise your meat up out of the surrounding garnish and show it off versus having look swallowed up by the greenery. Good luck!

I've seen a lot of "too much sauce" or "not enough sauce" comments on pulled pork. Is there a happy medium to look for? It seems like money muscles almost always want to have sauce on the outside, but not on the meat. Is it the same for pulled: Sauce on the bark but not the meat?

Personally, as a CBJ, I prefer very light sauce (if any) on the pulled pork. If MM is presented then it is preferred with bark and usually some sauce, again not too much.
Moist is good, but I want to taste the pork as well as any rub, sauce, aus ju, etc.
This is a MEAT contest and NOT a Sauce contest.

Back