KCBS Ribs

i think it depends on your region.... at my last KCBS we used Baby backs and did "ok". a couple other people we talked to did good using baby backs too. but thats right outside memphis in arkansas...

We've won with both. I think if you turn in a perfectly cooked and seasoned rib you'll score well either way.

I use loin back in the GBA but I'm doing a KCBS this month so just wondered. Most every thing i see everyone is cutting down spares to st louis. Thanks.

We've won with both. I think if you turn in a perfectly cooked and seasoned rib you'll score well either way.

I think you can win with either but you will be more consistent with St. Louis spares. I think its much like turning in a box with no garnish or something other than a thigh. You can certainly win but you may not be as consistent.

with a big field where there may be some time before judges actually get to taste them i think spares keep juicer

We have used both and done well with both also. I like the spares because they are more consistent and the curvature of the bone in back ribs makes it more difficult to box.

I only do loin backs, and we do well with them, including a couple of wins.

I think it comes down to what you can do the best though.

Not to hijack, but quick question. Is it acceptable in KCBS to buy spare ribs that are already trimmed to St Louis, as long as they are not pre seasoned and still wrapped?

Not to hijack, but quick question. Is it acceptable in KCBS to buy spare ribs that are already trimmed to St Louis, as long as they are not pre seasoned and still wrapped?
A friend of mine is a butcher at a local market (Lunardi's) and I asked him to trim my spare ribs down to a st louis cut and remove the membrane for me before my comp. :thumb:

Butcher paper, plastic wrap, food saver, etc......doesn't matter.

Just cold and nothing done to them other than trimming.

I've done well with both...I prefer to eat loin backs tho as I learned to cook them first

Back