The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/index.php)
-   Competition BBQ (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   A BBQ Brethren Event/NY Battle of BBQ Brethren - Manorville 2011 (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=99371)

Sawdustguy 04-08-2011 03:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lakeside Smoker (Post 1604507)
Here's the one we used a few years ago:
https://www.longislandferry.com/default.aspx

Mike, that works! It lets out in New London. When we went to Harpoon we took the Port Jeff to Bridgeport then to 91 and straight up. We took the Cross Sound from Orient when we went to Merrimac for Rock n Ribfest.

deez20 04-08-2011 05:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SmokeInDaEye (Post 1604408)
No need to stick around for awards. I'm keeping them all.

Unless of course there's a tie, then ill be keeping them. :-D

SmokeInDaEye 04-08-2011 06:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by deez20 (Post 1604672)
Unless of course there's a tie, then ill be keeping them. :-D

Shabam!!! I'm going for the 3x3x3 peat...Three third place Botbbb finishes in three years in three different towns.

BBQchef33 04-08-2011 06:49 PM

All the paperwork was signed today. So we are Officially

SmOKin aT ThE MaPLEs
10 Ryerson Ave
Manorville NY

:whoo::whoo::whoo:

Exit 70, Long Island Expressway. 1/2 mile north of the expressway.

http://www.google.com/url?source=img...59jM6NAuxKRP7g

There is 4.5 acres of grass behind there. Patio, Tent, Full outdoor Bar, Etc. Its tagged as a friendly biker bar, but the catering area is for weddings and functions with a strong onsite infrastructure. This site is 8 miles from the holtsville site we had it at last year. We are KCBS Sanctioned and part of the Empire State BBQ Championship Points chase. I will see if we can get NEBS Sanctioning now since we are not tied to a fundraiser, so can now have a grilling event.

Being our The Maples is a BAR and Grill, and the owner is being VERY GRACIOUS, he asks that we encourage all competitors to limit the beer brought to the event and purchase tap beer at the beer trailer that will be IN THE VENUE AMONG THE TEAMS, or...... take a short stroll to the ajacent patio and sit at the outdoor bar, where the band will be playing and gaze out over the duckpond. While you monitor the pits with your remote thermometers. When asked what he expects of us, his response was........HELP HIM SELL BEER.
:becky:

A stated, since we dont have to have a fundraiser, we will be having a Grilling event on Saturday. I will try to get NEBS Sanctioning. I am not sure if they have the 90 day restriction which we are inside of. WE will tie into a charity in some way and also, Island Harvest will be coming down on Sunday.

Teams will be allowed to vend, but will require your own Board of Health license permit is 85$. The vending fee will be $50 and you keep all profits. Let me know if your interested and I will forward the paperwork.

Spots will be preassigned and a lax 20x20. We have plenty of room. Premiums will be available at 30x30. Next week we will lay out the floor plan. Entry fees are $250 for BBQ, $50 For Grilling and $50 if you want a premium spot. BBQ and grilling fees will go to prize pool minus a small percentage strictly to offset some of the KCBS fees and infrastructure costs. We will be pursuing sponsorship.

The Port Jefferson/Bridgeport Ferry is 20-30 minutes from the site. The Orient Point to New London is about an hour to 1:15.

I take the Port Jefferson ferry to ALL contests in New England or upstate NY, (Even New Paltz). It knocks 90 miles off my trip. Ferry rates for trailers rates go by overall length of car and trailer. My truck and trailer combined is 44 foot and they always have room.

Our host will be creating an ID and visiting us soon.

CBQ 04-08-2011 08:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BBQchef33 (Post 1604712)
When asked what he expects of us, his response was........HELP HIM SELL BEER. :becky:

Now that's a contest objective we can all support :thumb:

CBQ 04-08-2011 08:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sawdustguy (Post 1604534)
Orient to Manorville is only 40 miles or 55 minutes via Sound Avenue. I drive it all the time for work and the some of the contests we have done in New England.

If it's an hour by car, it's 2 hours by motorhome towing a trailer :becky: but still sounds doable. I checked, they take motorhomes and even 18 wheels on the ferries.

Thanks everyone for the suggestions. It's probably not any faster via ferry, with the waiting time and all, but I bet it's a lot more relaxing than driving around.

Sawdustguy 04-08-2011 09:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CBQ (Post 1604796)
If it's an hour by car, it's 2 hours by motorhome towing a trailer :becky: but still sounds doable. I checked, they take motorhomes and even 18 wheels on the ferries.

Thanks everyone for the suggestions. It's probably not any faster via ferry, with the waiting time and all, but I bet it's a lot more relaxing than driving around.

The Port Jeff ferry and I think the Orient Point Ferry have Bars aboard. Relax, tip a few and leave the driving to them until you pull in to Long Island.

Smokenstein & monster crew 04-08-2011 09:10 PM

The location sounds fantastic, the whole deal sounds great....
Will do on drinking beer..:thumb:

Smokenstein & monster crew 04-08-2011 09:15 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Its back
Seems someones there already....

SmokeInDaEye 04-08-2011 09:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Smokenstien & SmokinBride (Post 1604823)
Its back
Seems someones there already....

That's awesome! Sacco is already there! In the words of a warlock I know, "duh, losing".

Smoker'sLoungeBBQ 04-08-2011 10:05 PM

That is pretty awesome.

Sawdustguy 04-08-2011 10:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SmokeInDaEye (Post 1604690)
Shabam!!! I'm going for the 3x3x3 peat...Three third place Botbbb finishes in three years in three different towns.

You don't have to worry Clint, don't even bother. Besides, exit 70 is the end of the world for you. Stay home and rest. The home team Polocks are going to take it this year. We are after all, world famous in Manorville.

BBQchef33 04-08-2011 11:41 PM

The ferry is an hour trip across the sound..and will shorten your trip by 50-90 miles. The ride from orient point is a nice drive thru wine country. the one from port jeff is a quick run donw 112 and then 10 minutes on the expressway. 20-30 mins with lights.

but id rather be sitting on the deck throwing frenchfries to the seagulls than sitting on I95 trying to get to the bridge.

rookiedad 04-09-2011 10:21 AM

what about spectators? will this be mostly a private thing or will it be open to the public

Westexbbq 04-09-2011 11:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rookiedad (Post 1605092)
what about spectators? will this be mostly a private thing or will it be open to the public

I have already told everybody I know, both of 'em, about this upcoming contest and of course we encourage folks to come out and enjoy themselves.