The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/index.php)
-   Q-talk (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Vortexless Vortex Wings on the 22.5 Weber (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=261169)

AKMIMNAK 06-08-2018 10:18 PM

Vortexless Vortex Wings on the 22.5 Weber

I decided, whilst languishing to fall asleep upon mine pillow last night, that I would thaw out a family pack of wings and vortex them for Friday night fun. Problem is, I still ain't ordered my vortex.

So, I started grindin my gears to figure out another way. Decided I'd load up a full chimney of lump, get my grill dome up in the 400 range, and place my wings as high as I could get them in the dome with small air gaps between them to allow the hot air to circulate between them on its way up, and hoping that it'd hit the roof and circulate back down similar to vortex style.

I knew it wouldn't be perfect, but it's the best idea I had. And I wanted to see if a guy could do it sans any special equipment purchases. Turned out pretty good. I still plan to buy a vortex, but this ain't a bad method in a pinch if you have one of these little elevated grill grates to get your wings further from the direct flame below, and higher up into the convection of the dome. My grate set came with the old Smokenator accessory back 5-6 years ago.

The sauce here is a modified version of Malcom Reed's awesome wing sauce recipe in this video at the 4:50 mark: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jpguAa21Rc8&t=296s

I modified it to this:

2/3 stick butter with equal amount of both Frank's Red Hot and Killer Hogs Vinegar BBQ Sauce. This is where Malcom stops (though his amounts are slightly different).

To this I added:

1 TB Soy Sauce
3 TB Duck Sauce (little packets from the Chinese carryout place will do)
1/8 Cup Sweet Tea
1/8 Cup ketchup (for thickening, and kicking down the heat a notch for my 2-year-old daughter)

This made three times as much sauce as I needed for 8 lbs of wings, and I saved the leftover in the fridge.

Please forgive the pictures for falling short of the awesomeness of the wing and sauce flavor.....I ain't no picture taker! But this sauce was fantastic. Perfect blend of sweet and heat so that you don't get tired of either by the end. If for myself only, I'd cut the ketchup next time, but for the whole family it was the perfect mix.

(And I didn't even mention the awesome German Potato salad with warm bacon vinaigrette that my wife made. We hate Mayo, and this potato salad is the best we've ever had.)

Y'all go getcha some!

aerotech11 06-08-2018 11:39 PM

Wings look great and that potato salad sounds awesome. Get the vortex it’s a wing cooking machine. You’ll love it.

ssv3 06-08-2018 11:40 PM

That looks delicious! I love a char on chicken skin at times.

Funny thing is I had about 1/2 wings left and just threw it on the Weber kettle with SnS for a late dinner. More like snack actually. :-D

AKMIMNAK 06-08-2018 11:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aerotech11 (Post 4010677)
Wings look great and that potato salad sounds awesome. Get the vortex it’s a wing cooking machine. You’ll love it.

Thank you! Which size do you recommend? Which company did you buy yours from?

AKMIMNAK 06-09-2018 12:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ssv3 (Post 4010679)
That looks delicious! I love a char on chicken skin at times.

Funny thing is I had about 1/2 wings left and just threw it on the Weber kettle with SnS for a late dinner. More like snack actually. :-D

Me too. Wings gotta be crispy, and a little char doesn't hurt.

I couldn't believe how many wings 2.5 of us humans put away! We ate nearly the entire 7 lb value pack - 16 complete wing sections. I forget how small the meat-to-bone ratio is on those babies.

ssv3 06-09-2018 12:12 AM

I hear you. Hardly any meat on them especially when I choose the packs since I go for the smaller ones. Sauce sounds good also. I'm keeping simple with Texas Pete and butter though.

Man your post is making me impatient and I'm super patient. So disciplined that I did a 4 hour line at the DMV today. :laugh:

Anyway, back on wangs topic. :thumb:

Joshw 06-09-2018 12:14 AM

I have been playing with the vortex recently, and Highly recommend it. The medium is perfect for the 22.5. I am an Amazon junkie, but when looking at the vortex, there were a lot of reviews complaining that the vortex they got, was not stainless. Someone was nice enough to give me this link: https://vortexbbq.com/where-to-buy/ I would recommend buying from one of these companies, that way you know you are getting a quality product. I ultimately ordered from Big Poppa Smokers, because they had a free shipping special on all accessories. Couldn't be happier with the quality, or shopping expereience. I have since ordered form them again.

Quote:

Originally Posted by AKMIMNAK (Post 4010685)

ssv3 06-09-2018 12:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joshw (Post 4010688)
I have been playing with the vortex recently, and Highly recommend it. The medium is perfect for the 22.5. I am an Amazon junkie, but when looking at the vortex, there were a lot of reviews complaining that the vortex they got, was not stainless. Someone was nice enough to give me this link: https://vortexbbq.com/where-to-buy/ I would recommend buying from one of these companies, that way you know you are getting a quality product. I ultimately with with Big Poppa Smokers, because they had a free shipping special on all accessories. Couldn't be happier with the quality, or shopping expereience. I have since ordered form them again.

A lot of phonies out there. OwensBBQ, a brethren on here, is also a legit source to get one. A lot of fake Vortex and Slow and Sear's on the interwebs.

Josh, I have a mini for my Jumbo Joe and I'm going to use it on my redhead since medium works.

Joshw 06-09-2018 12:27 AM

I was going to order from Owens, then stumbled into the free shipping deal. Not sure if they are still doing it, but Owens was offering free wing seasoning, with every order.

Is the mini the same as the small? If so it should work fine. Here is a link, to the size recommendations from Vortex BBQ. https://vortexbbq.com/which-size/ Won't hold as much charcoal, but you really don't need but about 45 minutes for good crispy wings. I would give it a go.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ssv3 (Post 4010689)
A lot of phonies out there. OwensBBQ, a brethren on here, is also a legit source to get one. A lot of fake Vortex and Slow and Sear's on the interwebs.

Josh, I have a mini for my Jumbo Joe and I'm going to use it on my redhead since medium works.

KevinJ 06-09-2018 07:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ssv3 (Post 4010689)

Ordered mine from either OwensBBQ or BPS, can't remember exactly.

ssv3 06-09-2018 09:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joshw (Post 4010691)
I was going to order from Owens, then stumbled into the free shipping deal. Not sure if they are still doing it, but Owens was offering free wing seasoning, with every order.

Is the mini the same as the small? If so it should work fine. Here is a link, to the size recommendations from Vortex BBQ. https://vortexbbq.com/which-size/ Won't hold as much charcoal, but you really don't need but about 45 minutes for good crispy wings. I would give it a go.

Mini is pretty much a small with the height bcut down a little to fit the Jumbo Joe. I'll give it a shot one of these days.

Sorry for the hijack OP.

Stingerhook 06-09-2018 10:01 AM

Fine looking plate.

aerotech11 06-09-2018 12:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AKMIMNAK (Post 4010685)

I went with the medium size from big poppa smokers. Free shipping. It’s perfect for the 22.5” kettle.

Joshw 06-09-2018 12:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ssv3 (Post 4010780)
Mini is pretty much a small with the height bcut down a little to fit the Jumbo Joe. I'll give it a shot one of these days.

Sorry for the hijack OP.

I don't see why it wouldn't work. Not sure you need it, with the SNS. It is my understanding, if you fill the SNS with a full basket of lit coals, you will get a similar cooking environment as the vortex, with an added bonus of easier cleanup. Sometimes it is just fun to play around though, and the vortex is one bad a$$ chicken cooker.

dadsr4 06-09-2018 01:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joshw (Post 4010868)
I don't see why it wouldn't work. Not sure you need it, with the SNS. It is my understanding, if you fill the SNS with a full basket of lit coals, you will get a similar cooking environment as the vortex, with an added bonus of easier cleanup. Sometimes it is just fun to play around though, and the vortex is one bad a$$ chicken cooker.

The Vortex will cook all the pieces at the same rate. In an indirect cook with the coals on one side, unless you are cooking only a few pieces, the pieces further away from the coals will cook slower. I cooked chicken pieces indirect for decades, the Vortex idea is now the only way I cook chicken pieces. I simply put the thickest portion of the meat towards the heat.