The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/index.php)
-   Competition BBQ (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   Does anyone not wrap? (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=145219)

Butt Rubb'n BBQ 10-01-2012 08:26 PM

Does anyone not wrap?

Does anyone not wrap their butts, briskets, etc... When I cook at home or work I never wrap anything and always have good success. My butts are very tender and have a nice crusty but not rock hard bark on my meat. Since I have entered the world of competition cooking I wrap everything at a comp. The only reason for that is that before I started comp cooking I spent endless hours researching how it was done and kind of felt like I should be wrapping like everyone else. Now my bark is always soft and not crispy. I leave them fat side up so they aren't swimming in fat. I pull them off around 195 and then try to glaze them and harden the bark back up but it never works for me. So I was just wondering if there was anyone out there who does not wrap. Maybe I should just stop trying to cook like everyone else and go with what I know.

mwert 10-01-2012 08:42 PM

I didn't wrap brisket last year. Got a second place beating a couple teams that went the The Jack. Not saying its gonna do great consistently, but it can get please the right table.

Butt Rubb'n BBQ 10-01-2012 09:43 PM

I guess with no other replies that means everyone wraps.

Q-Dat 10-02-2012 12:25 AM

I don't wrap ribs anymore. Thats not to say that I never will again, just that I am happy with the way they are coming out unwrapped right now. Only done it in two contests, but so far so good. Took eighth with it one of those times.

Pappy Q 10-02-2012 06:22 AM

If you are wrapping fat side up as you say, then your bark is sitting in liquid for a long time thus causing it to soften up. If you put fat side down during wrapping, your bark will be fine. At least mine is that way.

Lake Dogs 10-02-2012 07:14 AM

The problem is in the definition of tenderness; there's no allowance for "crunchy", bark or otherwise. At least not in the sanctioning bodies that I'm aware of....

rocksbarbque 10-02-2012 11:53 AM

i said a hip hop the hippie the hippie
to the hip hip hop, a you dont stop
the rock it to the bang bang boogie say up jumped the boogie
to the rhythm of the boogie, the beat

Smoke Ring 10-02-2012 11:57 AM

I don't use foil or a bed of parsley for garnish. We've won 3 of our last 4 contests so it can be done.

http://www.thesmokering.com/images/f...tmakerMeat.jpg

caseydog 10-02-2012 12:05 PM

I don't wrap my BBQ.

CD

deguerre 10-02-2012 12:13 PM

I don't compete so...

No wrapping for butts/shoulders or ribs. I don't do "Comp style" brisket but I do pan and foil it at 160. Always moist and tender with a great flavor but I've no clue how it would score.

Podge 10-02-2012 03:59 PM

I wrap Pig butts and I cannot lie.

Pitmaster T 10-02-2012 05:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Butt Rubb'n BBQ (Post 2231820)
I guess with no other replies that means everyone wraps.

Yeah its THUNDER
when I am on the site
Popdaddy in the house
Sho do like
My Glitter
Best in the world
its like a dream
for every boy and girl
and I'm pumpin' it
I be pumpin' it
I pump, pump, pump, pump, pumpin' it
Pakistan to Poland
straight into yo' town
Q be snatchin up girlies like a circus clown....

That better. Thats the only wrappin i do til its done..sorta.

4uweque 10-02-2012 07:35 PM

I wrap ribs, but I don't wrap shoulder nor brisket. I don't know why I still do ribs, the others do fine.

HandsomeSwede 10-02-2012 09:49 PM

I do not wrap ribs. I wrap pork shoulders when I need to push them but our highest pork score, 1st place in Wilson NY, was an unwrapped shoulder and our highest finish in pork last year was also unwrapped. I have done brisket both ways but always wrap them for comps.