The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/index.php)
-   Competition BBQ (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   Annual planning (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=35768)

Muzzlebrake 01-04-2008 08:06 AM

Annual planning

I am wondering how far in advance do set your yearly competition calender.

This year is going to be our second year doing comps and we are going to try and lock in our schedule by Super Bowl. We are more than likely looking to return to the contests we did last year and add 3-4 others.

Do you think that this is too early/late? With family commitments, work, honey-do lists and vacations we have found that we have to do it that early.

I'm having some difficulty with contests here in the Northeast not being announced for the year as of then. I understand that the vast majority of them take place on the same weekend as the prior year but an official announcement would be much more helpful, especially when try to find contests other than the ones that you already are familiar with.
The only reason that we didn't compete in The Battle of The Brethren is because it is very hard for any of us to make plans as a whole that late in the year.

bigabyte 01-04-2008 08:55 AM

I'm trying to plan now as well. I need to plan these things well in advance. I am having similar problems in that a lot of them don't have entry forms yet, or have some things up in the air preventing anything other than the date being fixed at this time, especially the ones for later in the year. I'll probably pick whatever is avaiable by Superbowl time as well.

Ford 01-04-2008 09:14 AM

My schedule is a little mroe felxible but I do put in a tentative vacation request by early February for what I know for sure. My boss also knows that there's a chance I'll need time off in late October but won't know until after Labor Day and they understand the situation. Still thinking about one in early May. The GAB looks good, Mt Vernon, VET cookoff in Ohio, Grand Rapids, Anderson IN if it happens, New one south of Indy after Labor Day and Silver Lake look good right now. If Anderson IN does not pan out then hopefully Shannon IL. And oc course if I qualify maybe the Royal.

lunchlady 01-04-2008 09:30 AM

... ON TOPIC...
We always try to work out our schedule by March, leaving our options open for the end of the summer/fall... August, September, October... that way, in case we win (or find) some $$, we can go out more.

...USEFUL (or USELESS) INFORMATION...
We plan a weekend in February, hang and eat at my house, and see who is available when, and where we all want to go during the season.

Usually we all use all our vacation time doing contests, and then some.

I take our tax refund for entry fees, that way they are confirmed relatively early in the spring, and we can plan the season accordingly.

... BACK ON TOPIC...
Also, since we are in the NE too, I just try to get as much info as possible, even if I have to e-mail an organizer to find out. Most contests are the same weekend as in previous years, and most organizers are very willing to chat with you about when it will be, if it isnt the same.

Contests can only be scheduled as early as info comes in, but DEFINITELY I feel your pain.

... MORE USELESS INFO...
Right now I'm looking at ...
April - Salisbury MD
May - MIM, Grillin' On The Bay
June - Yardley PA, Peter's Pond MA
July - Lake Placid NY, Harpoon VT
August - New Holland PA and/or Hudson Valley NY
September - Lowell MA, Harvard MA, Oinktoberfest NY
October - maybe the Royal, hopefully the Jack, but if pigs fly or we win the lottery...
November - I'd really like to go back to GA for the Best Of The Best.

BUT, I also want to do more in the mid-Atlantic... Chesapeake Jubilee, Bel Air, DOVER etc. We shall see what I can squeeze in. There just aren't enough weekends!

cmcadams 01-04-2008 10:14 AM

We only do 3-4, if we're lucky... We have tentative schedule, but neither of us have to ask for vacation time for a day here and there too far in advance. We're looking at:

Fairbanks, IN, end of May/beginning of July
Dayton, OH, July 18-19 (I think)
Cincinnati, OH, September 13-14 (much bigger site, plenty of grass to spread out on)
Nelsonville, OH, 3rd weekend of October

Judging in Madison, IN, 3rd weekend of August.

pigmaker23 01-04-2008 11:01 PM

We Started Planning, looks like 10 for 2008 , and of course the Jack if we ever break our second place curse...

Irrad8 01-04-2008 11:24 PM

I've been told I have OCD, but I'm disappointed that websites haven't been updated with 2008 info. It would be nice if they were, even if it is just prelimenary fyi info.

Ulcer Acres 01-05-2008 09:11 AM

We never do set up the contest we go to until after the KCBS Banquet. At this time we are looking at 30 contest this coming year.

Podge 01-05-2008 09:22 AM

I won't start planning until after the banquet too. October is the only month I'm sure about what contests I'm doing. still sticking with about 8-10 total contests.

Ulcer Acres 01-05-2008 09:47 AM

2007 Jack Daniels World Champ

Podge, Good to see you posting over here. It is nice to have this years Jack Daniels World Champ in the Brethren. For those who dont know Podge is Chad Hayden of Moonswiners who won this years Jack. I also believe he is one of the very few to get three jugs in one year.

Podge 01-05-2008 10:01 AM

Thanks.. I lurk here from time to time, and find it to be a freindly place, so I might hang out here more often, lurking and posting.

Tinybud 01-05-2008 10:10 AM

We started planning last year right after Dover,, lol,, Only planning on competing in 3, New Holland, pickin' in the panhadle in W. virginia, and Dover again, but if $$ is there we'll add more, Going to judge a few this year as well. Looking at Salisbury, Belair, and Yardley to judge.

Jeff_in_KC 01-05-2008 10:50 AM

Glad to see you posting here, Chad! Honored to have you here and congrats again on the Jack victory!

The Anchorman 01-05-2008 11:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pigmaker23 (Post 529697)
We Started Planning, looks like 10 for 2008 , and of course the Jack if we ever break our second place curse...

who is this we thing? You got a mouse in your pocket? Lets Talk:confused:

tonto1117 01-05-2008 11:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ford (Post 528972)
My schedule is a little mroe felxible but I do put in a tentative vacation request by early February for what I know for sure. My boss also knows that there's a chance I'll need time off in late October but won't know until after Labor Day and they understand the situation. Still thinking about one in early May. The GAB looks good, Mt Vernon, VET cookoff in Ohio, Grand Rapids, Anderson IN if it happens, New one south of Indy after Labor Day and Silver Lake look good right now. If Anderson IN does not pan out then hopefully Shannon IL. And oc course if I qualify maybe the Royal.

Sounds like we will be seeing you alot again this year Ford..:wink: As our tenitive schedule sounds pretty similiar at this time.