The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/index.php)
-   Q-talk (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Anyone ever smoke or grill turkey tenderloins? (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=158479)

smokeyw 04-12-2013 08:10 AM

Anyone ever smoke or grill turkey tenderloins?

I have been asked to cook for a wedding party with 100 guests. They want turkey tenderloins. I have never cooked these at all. Does anyone have any good recipes or any advice they are willing to share? I can smoke them in a vertical smoker or I can grill them. I might even deep fry a few.

NCGuy68 04-12-2013 12:18 PM

Huh? Thats a new one on me. What the heck are they?

dadsr4 04-12-2013 12:24 PM

It's the muscle that lies next to the breastbone. It's moister than the outer muscle layer.

fantomlord 04-12-2013 01:06 PM

I usually grill these--think boneless skinless chicken breasts

I would suggest 2 things:
1. brine
2. practice until you get results you like

firefighter4634 04-12-2013 01:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fantomlord (Post 2445470)
I usually grill these--think boneless skinless chicken breasts

I would suggest 2 things:
1. brine
2. practice until you get results you like

I have never tried them, but the above advise seems pretty sound to me. Practice, Practice, Practice. Then let us know how they turned out.

NCGuy68 04-12-2013 03:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dadsr4 (Post 2445438)
It's the muscle that lies next to the breastbone. It's moister than the outer muscle layer.

With all due respect dad, Birds in my neck of the woods don't have any muscle next to the breastbone. It all white meat.

Any clear photos you would like to share is appreciated.

dadsr4 04-12-2013 06:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NCGuy68 (Post 2445565)
With all due respect dad, Birds in my neck of the woods don't have any muscle next to the breastbone. It all white meat.

Any clear photos you would like to share is appreciated.

There are two major types of muscle on a turkey-white meat (muscle), with low levels of myoglobin, and dark meat (muscle), with higher levels. Myoglobin is similar to hemoglobin which stores oxygen in the blood cells. Higher levels of myoglobin are found in muscles which are more heavily used. It is responsible for the darker pigmentation in dark meat.
Found this while looking for a picture for you.
What Are Turkey Breast Tenderloins?
http://www.wisegeek.com/what-are-tur...enderloins.htm

superlazy 04-12-2013 06:43 PM

Wife just schooled me as I was calling my avid turkey hunting buddy:oops:
Yep it is a cut of meat

Woodmonkey 04-12-2013 07:04 PM

This works for me:

Turkey, Breasts, Tenderloin, Blueberry, Chutney, Jenny-O, Richard Fl
INGREDIENTS:
2 lemon garlic turkey breast tenderloins (30 ounces/package of 2 ), Jenny-O
1 Tbs extra-virgin olive oil
Sauce
1 cup fresh blueberries (rinsed)
1/3 cup water
1/4 cup mango chutney
1 Tbs Dijon mustard
1-2 Tbs. Balsamic Vinegar, to taste
1 Tbs jalapeño pepper jelly
Original Recipe
1. Preheat grill on medium-high. Cut tenderloins diagonally, across length, into about eight 1-inch-thick slices (medallion cut). Drizzle oil over both sides of slices. Wash hands.
2. Place turkey on grill, using tongs; close lid (or cover with foil). Grill 5–6 minutes on each side or until internal temperature reaches 170°F. Use a meat thermometer to accurately ensure doneness. (Grills vary widely; adjust time as needed.)
3. While turkey grills, place remaining ingredients in small saucepan on medium-high. Cook 8–10 minutes, whisking often, until blueberries break up and flavors are well blended. Serve sauce over turkey.
BGE Variation
1. The above recipe was the original, however for Father's Day, 2006/06/18, I modified it to a BGE on my small, Did the whole tenderloin without cutting into pieces. indirect, got BGE to 300°F added 3-4 pieces of applewood and placed the tenderloin on until internal reached 155°F, about 45-60 minutes.
2. For sides had some vidalia onions sliced 1/2 inch thick and some portobello mushrooms cut 3/4 inch thick and marinated both in Italian salad dressing for 15 minutes and then just placed on the side of the breasts until they were done, about 45 minutes.
Recipe Type: Poultry
Source
Author: Publix Super Markets
Source: BGE Forum, Richard Fl, 2006/06/18
Web Page: www.publix.com/aprons
Author Notes
Berry Bright Salad is excellent as the side.

smokeyw 04-14-2013 12:16 PM

Thanks for the replies. I see that I'm not alone in my lack of knowledge about this uncommon meat. I like the advice of "think boneless skinless chicken breast". They will definitely dry out if you are not careful. I can usually brine those and do well on the moisture. If anyone has any more advice I'm all ears. I will definitely let everyone know how they turn out.

Freddy j 04-14-2013 12:22 PM

I'm actually going to grill some tonight. They are very tasty and we grill them a couple of times per month.

I always go indirect around 350-400. The past couple of cooks, I've marinated overnight and then grilled on a cedar plank to about 155-160, then pull to rest. Just be careful if you go direct. You can dry them out easily.

1MoreFord 04-14-2013 03:04 PM

At one time you could get a bacon wrapped turkey tenderloin at Sam's. I haven't looked recently so I don't know if they still have them. Ar you talking something like that or whole tenderloin?

stephan 04-14-2013 03:26 PM

I grill them all the time. But haven't smoked them as of yet. They cook up pretty fast. I usually marinate them in a citrus type of marinade.

1911Ron 04-14-2013 05:09 PM

I have smoked a turkey tenderloin once and it was pretty good. We sliced it up to put it in something else, for sure a do again.

lastmajordude 04-14-2013 07:16 PM

I picked some up at Sam's....fun to play with...especially if you have family or friends on a non beef regiment.....