The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/index.php)
-   Food Handling General Discussion (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=32)
-   -   dr pepper bbq sauce for kids bday party? (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=84873)

Derek 05-17-2010 08:59 PM

dr pepper bbq sauce for kids bday party?

Will this be kosher if I used my bbq sauce for the kiddo's party july 20th?

It has a little Knobs creek in it. And it did cook out over 2 hours simmer session.

Dutchovendude 06-07-2010 08:59 PM

Maybe this could help you decide.
http://www.ochef.com/165.htm

Ron_L 06-07-2010 09:55 PM

I would check with someone who follows a kosher diet. I don't know if it would be kosher or not.

Bbq Bubba 06-07-2010 10:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ron_L (Post 1304459)
I would check with someone who follows a kosher diet. I don't know if it would be kosher or not.

:heh: :heh:

Derek 06-07-2010 10:24 PM

Thanks guys, I do have a batch that does have whiskey in it.

BBQ Grail 06-08-2010 12:51 AM

You are obligated to disclose this to each and every parent. I would be upset if you it was my kid and you didn't. Alcohol cooking out or not...

Gwen 06-08-2010 06:09 PM

As a parent, I wouldn't have any problem with that, other than the fact that I'd definitely want to taste some of the food!

As a cook, I wouldn't hesitate to serve it to kids. I'm assuming they're old enough to actually like bbq.

If it were loaded with alcohol, that might be another story, esp since most kids don't like anything that actually tastes like alcohol.

The only time I'm careful about cooking with alcohol, even though it's burned off, is if I know I'm serving to a recovering alcoholic. Then I discreetly ask if they'd prefer I leave it out. Or sometimes I just leave it out or make something else.

landarc 06-08-2010 06:24 PM

Alcohol does not burn out completely, that is the key. I would also consider that there are some people that object to alcohol on moral basis alone. If I am cooking for a group, especially if there are people I do not know well, I avoid hidden ingredients such as alcohol, peanut and peanut products, shellfish products and MSG.

82muchhomework 06-08-2010 06:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by landarc (Post 1305243)
Alcohol does not burn out completely, that is the key. I would also consider that there are some people that object to alcohol on moral basis alone. If I am cooking for a group, especially if there are people I do not know well, I avoid hidden ingredients such as alcohol, peanut and peanut products, shellfish products and MSG.

Sage advice.

Gwen 06-08-2010 07:02 PM

I didn't know that alcohol didn't burn out completely. Hmmm. Then I would want to know more.

Also, I assume one more or less knows the crowd one is cooking for. Cooking for a church group, for instance, might be a different thing. (Unless they were from my church. :-P)

landarc 06-08-2010 07:19 PM

Normally I cook in a very casual manner, and since I am largely not allergic to most things (mussels being the one real bad thing, fortunately I hate them) my friends are used to a very cavalier style of cooking. Recently I did an event for one of them and he was shocked, a very different approach and level of attention. I would feel horrible if I caused any person, but particularly a child to go into shock and require medical attention, or if someone got food poisoning and had a miserable time.

Derek 06-08-2010 08:47 PM

Thanks everyone.

I'm serving Stubbs bbq sauce it's liquir free and I'll put my sauce out as ( extream hot adults only )

Thank you for the advice everyone...

Williamsinhb 07-05-2010 03:43 PM

The alcohol burned off but it would be best to offer a choice

SouthernMagicBBQ 11-12-2011 02:01 PM

They make a commercial Dr. Pepper Bar B Q sauce that is on the shelves of most stores. I tried it. It's a little spicy for most kids. When cooking for kids I have a sauce we make we call Southern Belle. It has Southern Comfort in it. With the kids we substitute Nehi Peach soda for the Southern Comfort. Kids love it.

HBMTN 11-15-2011 09:26 PM

Alcohol boils at like 180 degrees so if you bring it to a simmer for 20 minutes there is no alcohol left. As far as Kosher I know nothing about that sort of thing.