The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/index.php)
-   Competition BBQ (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   Pork Prod (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=258411)

RuBBQCo 03-23-2018 10:00 AM

Pork Prod

Just ordered a bag of Pork Prod to test out at home this weekend.

For those of you that are using this stuff, do you have an helpful tips? Are you combining it with any kind of juice or just mixing it with water? Any insight would be appreciated.

Untraceable 03-23-2018 04:19 PM

Got burned on cattle prod. Wasn’t going to waste the effort on pork prod

localyocal 03-23-2018 07:15 PM

Personally I mix it with Apple juice. I'm surprised to hear some disapprove of the Cattle Prod, both are good products IMO. I'd like to add that Victory Lane has a really nice pork injection as well.

midwest_kc 03-24-2018 09:28 AM

I like pork prod, and cattle prod. Chicken prod, or whatever they call it....woof. That wasn't good at all.

TJR89 03-24-2018 10:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Untraceable (Post 3970656)
Got burned on cattle prod. Wasn’t going to waste the effort on pork prod

Not to highjack the thread, but I would like to hear the story that goes with this statement.

Untraceable 03-24-2018 05:52 PM

Cattle Prod was incredibly hyped for the release. Cash Cow also hitting the market around the same time. Big fan of his rubs but I thought cattle prod was a colossal letdown. Assumed there was some secret behind how to use it, but BP insisted on the instructions on the packet.

I have some trusted friends with the same results I experienced. Cash Cow with phosphates. Not a sexy story, but if you can remember the hype, it makes sense

BIGLEGGA 03-24-2018 06:17 PM

Pork prod has chunks that are just big enough to screw up my injector so I gave up on it. Had some good results with it but was too big of a hassle to mess around with multiple injectors.

rikun 04-01-2018 01:44 PM

We've had decent results wih Cattle Prod. Certainly comparable with other phosphate containing injections. Certainly not worth the Hype, but it's marketing :D

We didn't find any use for the Cash Cow rub after testing it...

djqualls 04-01-2018 02:08 PM

I've used since before it came out as a tester.

mix with water per instructions. Don't get heavy handed in the money muscle just a thorough coverage.

I think it amps up the flavor of my Compart butts and adds some savory as well as moisture. It doesn't "Ham" up the texture nor does it create any artificial flavor that will contrast with the meat.

I am a sponsored team for the record. However, our results in Pork over the past three years should back up my endorsement.

Hope that helps.

Rub 04-01-2018 06:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by djqualls (Post 3974729)
I've used since before it came out as a tester.

mix with water per instructions. Don't get heavy handed in the money muscle just a thorough coverage.

I think it amps up the flavor of my Compart butts and adds some savory as well as moisture. It doesn't "Ham" up the texture nor does it create any artificial flavor that will contrast with the meat.

I am a sponsored team for the record. However, our results in Pork over the past three years should back up my endorsement.

Hope that helps.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Untraceable (Post 3971075)
Cattle Prod was incredibly hyped for the release. Cash Cow also hitting the market around the same time. Big fan of his rubs but I thought cattle prod was a colossal letdown. Assumed there was some secret behind how to use it, but BP insisted on the instructions on the packet.

I have some trusted friends with the same results I experienced. Cash Cow with phosphates. Not a sexy story, but if you can remember the hype, it makes sense

I was a sponsored team but the program I was in got dropped. I guess I'm a free agent now.

I too was using Pork Prod and Cattle Prod pre-release. Followed the instructions and mixed with water. First time competing with CP I got a perfect score, or a perfect-perfect since we don't drop a low score. Got a second one a few weeks later. Won FBA TOTY in Brisket. I tied with djqualls for 1st place (got 2nd) in Pork at The Jack last year using PP. It's helped me win plenty. I wouldn't really call it hype.

Pappy Q 04-01-2018 06:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rub (Post 3974814)
I was a sponsored team but the program I was in got dropped. I guess I'm a free agent now.

I too was using Pork Prod and Cattle Prod pre-release. Followed the instructions and mixed with water. First time competing with CP I got a perfect score, or a perfect-perfect since we don't drop a low score. Got a second one a few weeks later. Won FBA TOTY in Brisket. I tied with djqualls for 1st place (got 2nd) in Pork at The Jack last year using PP. It's helped me win plenty. I wouldn't really call it hype.

If you aren’t a BPS team anymore, do you still use it?

gettinbasted 04-01-2018 07:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pappy Q (Post 3974835)

I've done well with Pork Prod. I'm no longer a BPS team and I still use it.

Rub 04-01-2018 08:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pappy Q (Post 3974835)

Yep...