The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/index.php)
-   Brethren Road Trips (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   If you had to choose one... Franklin BBQ or Salt Lick? (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=256412)

GLOCKer 01-24-2018 02:45 PM

If you had to choose one... Franklin BBQ or Salt Lick?

I will be visiting family in San Antonio for a wedding, and I will have one day where I can pick one BBQ restaurant to drag my wife (and possibly my parents) to for lunch. I believe both are about 1.25 hours from where we'll be staying. I figure Aaron Franklin's place may be the more pain-in-the-ass place to visit given its popularity and the line that forms for his 'que. Salt Lick sounds like it'd be the easier place to stroll into for lunch. I'm leaning towards Franklin BBQ however.

Any advice?

barrettd 01-24-2018 02:55 PM

I've not been to Franklin, but I've been to Salt Lick. The food was pretty much OK. Nothing special. The pits are cool to see, but, given the choice, I'd line up at Franklin's. Nobody wanted to go with me when we'd go to Austin (from OKC) to visit my in-laws, so I never did it. Maybe one of these trips down to San Antonio to visit my sister, I'll do it.

16Adams 01-24-2018 03:02 PM

Dine in Southside Market in Elgin. Be sure to try their sausage. Get a call in to go order from Franklins and eat that at The Capitol grounds or town lake.

I’d carry a cooler stacked with ice for leftovers both places.

pjtexas1 01-24-2018 03:02 PM

if Franklin's lines are too much you are better off going to LA Barbecue.

bproffer 01-24-2018 03:10 PM

I would choose Franklin's just to say you have done it. La Barbecue (also in Austin) is good as well. Or take a drive to Lockhart where there are other great choices.

Dr. Trout Bum 01-24-2018 03:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 16Adams (Post 3939501)
Dine in Southside Market in Elgin. Be sure to try their sausage. Get a call in to go order from Franklins and eat that at The Capitol grounds or town lake.

I’d carry a cooler stacked with ice for leftovers both places.

This is what I'm going to do next time I'm in San Antonio...call in the to go order and drive to Austin.

DriverWild 01-24-2018 03:17 PM

Franklin's, no doubt about it!

JS-TX 01-24-2018 03:20 PM

Salt Lick has great ambience and it's cash only, last time I was there. Food is not very good IMO. Franklins of course is great. If you want top notch brisket w/out leaving San Antonio head to 2M Smokehouse. Amazing brisket and food there.

JS-TX 01-24-2018 03:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dr. Trout Bum (Post 3939507)
This is what I'm going to do next time I'm in San Antonio...call in the to go order and drive to Austin.

I think you need to call a few days in advance for Franklins.

Dr. Trout Bum 01-24-2018 03:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JS-TX (Post 3939510)
I think you need to call a few days in advance for Franklins.

I'll check it out on their web site. When I'm there, it's usually for weeks at a time.

frognot 01-24-2018 04:44 PM

I'd go with la Barbeque or my favorite, Stiles Switch. You'll get great BBQ and they won't have to stand in line for hours at Franklin's.

https://www.labarbecue.com/#2027-e-cesar-chavez-austin

http://www.stilesswitchbbq.com/

Both are closed Mondays and la Barbecue is closed on Tuesday.

Rockinar 01-24-2018 04:55 PM

Salt Lick is reheated tourist BBQ to impress Californians. Its not even on the same planet as Franklin. Not sure why people compare them. That "pit" everyone talks about is a glorified microwave. They reheat food on it, not cook on it. I'd scratch this off the list.

(OPTION 1) Franklin is a place you gotta try and do the line so you can say you have been there and done it. It's like a BBQ right of passage. That said theres BBQ joints around town that have BBQ that's about as good, without the massive wait if you have people with you who wont do the line. Preorders at Franklin are currently only 1 week out, so not bad at all. Maybe look into this? They have a $100 minimum.

(OPTION 2)

LaBarbeque

Micklewait Craft Meats (walking distance from Franklin)

Freedmen's

Stiles Switch

(OPTION3)

Also you will be in San Antonio. They have 2M Smokehouse there.

https://www.2msmokehouse.com

Guy who started it used to be pitmaster at LaBarbecue. I have not been there, but I bet it's as good as any of the above. It's Texas BBQ with Mexican flair.

(OPTION 4)

Going to Lockhart and trying Kreuz, Smittys or Blacks would be a good idea too. Minimal lines, not as far as Austin, you get a vibe of BBQ history, indoor seating, and good BBQ. Be warned some of the places dont have BBQ sauce or forks. They do it old school. The tourist think they are joking when they get told "we dont use forks or have sauce".

Coat 01-24-2018 06:14 PM

Snow's. Unless you're not in town on a Saturday. Just get there real early.

1MoreFord 01-24-2018 06:48 PM

Don't forget City Market in Luling. It's even closer than Lockhart.

Sid Post 01-24-2018 07:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rockinar (Post 3939551)
(OPTION 4)

Going to Lockhart and trying Kreuz, Smittys or Blacks would be a good idea too. Minimal lines, not as far as Austin, you get a vibe of BBQ history, indoor seating, and good BBQ. Be warned some of the places dont have BBQ sauce or forks. They do it old school. The tourist think they are joking when they get told "we dont use forks or have sauce".

Kreuz :hand: Over priced and not that good.

Smitty's was really good. :-P

However, Black's was AWESOME! Those beef ribs were more like beef lollipops to this old man. :becky: