The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/index.php)
-   Q-talk (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Problems with my smoker (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=86145)

cjallen85 06-07-2010 04:04 PM

Problems with my smoker

In recently have been build a barrel smoker. My problem is not matter how hot of a fire i get in it, I can only get my barrels up to about 150 or 160. Any ideas? I would appreciate any help I am ready to get smoking.
Thanks
I have got pics of it, just not sure how to post them.

cjallen85 06-07-2010 04:05 PM

It is an offset smoker, with two 55 drums for the chamber. Sorry about that.

moda253 06-07-2010 04:11 PM

Pics would help. there are so many variables.

Alan in Ga 06-07-2010 04:12 PM

Sounds like an intake prob not getting enough air whats you intake like.

cjallen85 06-07-2010 04:17 PM

http://i41.photobucket.com/albums/e2...5/IMG00018.jpg
http://i41.photobucket.com/albums/e2...5/IMG00019.jpg

cjallen85 06-07-2010 04:18 PM

Thanks for the patience, I am a little new. But any questions let me know thanks

KSims1868 06-07-2010 04:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cjallen85 (Post 1304164)
It is an offset smoker, with two 55 drums for the chamber. Sorry about that.

Dang - sounds like 2 potentially ruined UDS smokers.
I'd suggest getting another 55 gal drum or 2 and scrapping the barrel off-set smoker idea completely. Build a UDS (or 2 of them) - be happy.

Okay...just saw the pics.

Is that ball-valve your ONLY intake control? If so - I think that is way too small for heating that whole thing.

cjallen85 06-07-2010 04:22 PM

there are two more on the other side i mean i dont have a problem with the heat in smoke box. Its just not traveling to the other end of the smoker

early mornin' smokin' 06-07-2010 04:22 PM

airflow is definitely the problem, that's a lot of cubic inches to be heated, without a lot of insulation, so a lot of heat will be lost.

cjallen85 06-07-2010 04:24 PM

So I was thinking of cutting an intake in the side with a slide. Do you think that will help? Or maybe in the bottom of the box underneath the fire

KSims1868 06-07-2010 04:25 PM

What is the temp in the 1st barrel closest to the fire box?
Seems like a lot of space to travel through very thin (and likely not sealed) metal. Those barrels being that long together will lose a lot of heat, so let's focus on the 1st barrel for now.
What are you using to read the temp?

cjallen85 06-07-2010 04:29 PM

first barrel is 170 or 150 in second. I have been using oven thermos for checking temp

jimmyinsd 06-07-2010 04:39 PM

she looks a little loose from the pictures. does it leak alot around those doors? it could be that you are leaking your heat out in so many places that the chimney cant create a draft and pull the heat all the way through your smoke chamber.

my cheap offset has pretty thin steel (about the same as your drums) i have used old wool army blankets on the top to help hold the heat.

cjallen85 06-07-2010 04:43 PM

It does leak a bit. there is a silicone gasket around the doors that works pretty well. Its not leak proof but its pretty good. the hole that joins the smoke box to barrel is 6in by 4in. Didnt know if it was to small

KSims1868 06-07-2010 04:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jimmyinsd (Post 1304197)
she looks a little loose from the pictures. does it leak alot around those doors? it could be that you are leaking your heat out in so many places that the chimney cant create a draft and pull the heat all the way through your smoke chamber.

my cheap offset has pretty thin steel (about the same as your drums) i have used old wool army blankets on the top to help hold the heat.

I think this is what's going on too.
If you have a nice hot fire in the fire box, but can't get the heat/smoke to draft out the stack - it must be leaking out.

cjallen85 06-07-2010 04:55 PM

Sounds good. It somewhere to start I will definately try that first and see where I get. Thanks Definately glad I joined this site!

PimpSmoke 06-07-2010 04:59 PM

You need more draft, If I were trying to tune that monster I would make the stack at least 2 or 3 feet longer to induce more draft.

You could also try placing some steel tuning plates over your hole from the firebox to the cook chamber, below grate level and slide them around making gaps until you can get the convection down.

You could probably use a bit more intake size as well.

jimmyinsd 06-07-2010 05:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cjallen85 (Post 1304200)
It does leak a bit. there is a silicone gasket around the doors that works pretty well. Its not leak proof but its pretty good. the hole that joins the smoke box to barrel is 6in by 4in. Didnt know if it was to small

i have never seen it, but i have heard reference to a thread about sizing your firebox and opening in relation to your smoke chamber. i could be wrong but that hole sounds pretty small in relation to the area you are trying to heat. have you ever checked your temp coming out of your exhaust pipe?

spicewine 06-07-2010 05:10 PM

Definately could use some tuning plates or take a 6 to 8 inch pipe and run it from the fire box to the other side. Cut holes in the pipe starting with small holes close to the fire box and getting larger as you get to the other end. Definately need more draw on your exhaust ( bigger Pipe ) and higher. Also needs a larger intake.

Just my .02

Spice

jestridge 06-07-2010 05:26 PM

Get a bigger exhaust , you haven't good air flow. Also maybe a bigger intake can't make it out on the pic. You can't get your exhaust too large always can block it off

cjallen85 06-07-2010 06:14 PM

You think a larger diameter exhaust pipe? or just add on to that one?

jgh1204 06-07-2010 06:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by spicewine (Post 1304222)
Definately could use some tuning plates or take a 6 to 8 inch pipe and run it from the fire box to the other side. Cut holes in the pipe starting with small holes close to the fire box and getting larger as you get to the other end. Definately need more draw on your exhaust ( bigger Pipe ) and higher. Also needs a larger intake.

Just my .02

Spice

Coming from Spicewine, I would say that is about $200 worth of advice.

deathamphetamine 06-07-2010 07:02 PM

i had the same thing going.... I scrapped it. Now i am gonna use the double barrel chamber just for pigs, if I get around to it. I like Spicewine's answer, you should try those mods. I'd love to see you get this cooker cookin! Who knows, it might motivate me to finish this one. That thing would look super mean with a big chrome stack!!!

cjallen85 06-07-2010 08:10 PM

Thanks for the advice guys. It definately helps a lot. Don't know to many around here into these kind of projects. I will keep everyone posted on the project. There is a BBq comp at the end of august I want to have this cooker ready for up until now I was using webers and store model offsets to cook on.

KSims1868 06-07-2010 08:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cjallen85 (Post 1304370)
Thanks for the advice guys. It definately helps a lot. Don't know to many around here into these kind of projects. I will keep everyone posted on the project. There is a BBq comp at the end of august I want to have this cooker ready for up until now I was using webers and store model offsets to cook on.

I know I'm going to sound like a broken record but seriously...if you have access to 55 gal drums like that you REALLY should consider building a UDS since you obviously have fabricating skills. A UDS will really surprise you. Until I cooked on 1...I was skeptical as well. Now that I'm cooking on a UDS I have 3 friends building their own as we speak to replace their cheap-o store bought off-set smokers.

cjallen85 06-07-2010 10:54 PM

I just dont think the uds has the room that i am trying to achieve. but for and extra smoker for around the house I will definately try that out. It will be my next project. The girlfriend is gonna love seeing me build yet another grill lol.

cjallen85 06-07-2010 10:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by spicewine (Post 1304222)

Just my .02

Spice

Thanks Spice,
I am going to add these mods and will let you know of my progress, thanks.

cjallen85 06-07-2010 10:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by deathamphetamine (Post 1304319)
i had the same thing going.... I scrapped it. Now i am gonna use the double barrel chamber just for pigs, if I get around to it. I like Spicewine's answer, you should try those mods. I'd love to see you get this cooker cookin! Who knows, it might motivate me to finish this one. That thing would look super mean with a big chrome stack!!!

I am definately working night and day on this smoker. I will let you know how this works out thanks!

Wampus 06-07-2010 11:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cjallen85 (Post 1304510)
I just dont think the uds has the room that i am trying to achieve. but for and extra smoker for around the house I will definately try that out. It will be my next project. The girlfriend is gonna love seeing me build yet another grill lol.

Yes, but for a lot less work, you could use 2 or 3 UDS's and cook a lot of meat. I mean, unless you're looking to go whole hog. I got 12 racks of baby backs on my UDS this weekend all at once. I could put 6 or 8 butts on there too.

Hell.....what am I saying....I've GOT one and I'm looking as I type this for an offset. You already look like you're on your way, just need some tweaking.

Yeah.....never mind. GO FOR IT!!!:thumb::heh:

big brother smoke 06-07-2010 11:48 PM

Welp, how much fuel and what type of fuel you using?

cjallen85 06-08-2010 12:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by big brother smoke (Post 1304551)
Welp, how much fuel and what type of fuel you using?

I have fired it with charcoal, and I have also fired it with hickory. Both got hotter then I think I would ever need.

cjallen85 06-08-2010 12:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wampus (Post 1304536)
Yes, but for a lot less work, you could use 2 or 3 UDS's and cook a lot of meat. I mean, unless you're looking to go whole hog. I got 12 racks of baby backs on my UDS this weekend all at once. I could put 6 or 8 butts on there too.

Hell.....what am I saying....I've GOT one and I'm looking as I type this for an offset. You already look like you're on your way, just need some tweaking.

Yeah.....never mind. GO FOR IT!!!:thumb::heh:

Yeah I got a lot of time in this. I think with all the help I have gained here I can get this project running. I am definately going to try a UDS soon though. I hear all kinds of good things about them on here.

PaulG78 06-08-2010 12:10 AM

To the more skilled fab'ers in the crowd, please critique. I keep looking at the pic and seeing reverse flow being a good option for this. Flat plate running just short of the length of both barrels at the elevation of the top of the opening from the firebox. Cut off and cap the existing exhaust and make a new, larger, exhaust right above the firebox with the outlet being out the end of the first barrel.

cjallen85 06-17-2010 09:31 AM

Just want to thank everyone for their ideas! I cut a bigger exhaust in it and also put a new intake in and now she is ready to smoke. Could not have done it without all the input!
I am going to get it painted and will have pics up soon thanks everyone!
Cole

moda253 06-17-2010 09:34 AM

Yeah that is what I think too.

Quote:

Originally Posted by jimmyinsd (Post 1304197)

moda253 06-17-2010 09:40 AM

heh I should have read through the whole thread. Good to hear you got it working! Now let's see some food pron.

cjallen85 06-17-2010 01:46 PM

Definitely, I am cooking on it the first time next week. Gonna spend sometime dialing her in.

Phrasty 06-17-2010 03:42 PM

lol thats like an UDO (Ugly Drum Offset)! Hell as long as you not wasting coal/heat, it running the temps well and it puts out killer food... Light that B!#@# with pride man! :) waiting on the pics of the mods. Glad you got it working!

Cheers

Norcoredneck 06-17-2010 06:42 PM

Without reading whole thread, have you vetified thermometers? Try putting a fan blowing/stokingv the intake.

Norcoredneck 06-17-2010 06:45 PM

On second look is that valve your intake? If it is it is not near big enough for an offset.

cjallen85 07-18-2010 06:14 PM

Its all running good. Cooking ribs right now! Will have pics soon!

ShutYrMouth 07-18-2010 07:05 PM

nice cj,
get that thing dialed in so i can come visit.
half of my family lives in jacksonville.
my grandparents and a couple cousins just moved to springfield!
greg

FretBender 07-18-2010 07:34 PM

How to you get fuel into the firebox? I'd get the fire going and have something to keep that door cracked open to get more air into the fire. Same with the door on the far end of the cooking chambers. You need allot of aire to go through two drums vertically rather than a UDS, which flows verticle. I built a double barrel pit and had to add a second pipe between the barrels to get good air/heat flow. Look at the size of the opening between the firebox and the cooking barrels. In a Brikman Smoke-n-Pit Pro, which is a pit somewhat like yours, the opening is about 10"x12", if not larger. Bottom line, airflow. On a horizontal offset you shouldn't be controlling airflow with ball valves.

http://i450.photobucket.com/albums/q...nder/bbq19.jpg

http://i450.photobucket.com/albums/q...nder/bbq33.jpg

http://i450.photobucket.com/albums/q...r/HPIM0851.jpg

River City Smokehouse 07-18-2010 07:53 PM

The tuning plates will make the temps more even across the horizontal chamber and are easy to make. It will get rid of the hot spot at the firebox end.

cjallen85 07-18-2010 09:02 PM

http://i41.photobucket.com/albums/e2...5/IMG00056.jpg
This is recent pick I replaced the old exhaust with an 8 in pipe and also Put a slide in the front of the fire box for more intake. Solved my problems I was having with getting it to heat up.

cjallen85 07-18-2010 09:04 PM

The front side of the fire box opens up. I have no problem keeping it at the right temp now. Finding wood to burn is a whole separate issue though.

cjallen85 07-18-2010 09:07 PM

BTW Greg we will be downtown for the Springfield Blues and BBQ at the end of August competing just in case your in town!

FretBender 07-19-2010 02:02 PM

Glad to hear you got it cooking good. One suggestion is to put firebricks in the bottom of the firebox and up the side a bit, it will help keep the metal from rusting away and can help elevate a grate to get air under the fire. Remember that ashes + water = acid so keep the ashes clean between burns.

cjallen85 07-23-2010 02:29 PM

I have a rack in the smoke box for the wood, and the vent on the end i cut in is underneath the rack.