Just in case I make a cut

F

Flavor Dave

Brisket cut, if you make the cut in brisket do you use the same brisket or have another cooker for the second round? How much and how thick do you turn in? Thanks

Brisket cut, if you make the cut in brisket do you use the same brisket or have another cooker for the second round? How much and how thick do you turn in? Thanks

Which type of contest? IBCA, KCBS, etc..?

Jorge,

I was wondering the same thing. I have not heard of a contest where there is multiple rounds and you have to make a cut..

The OK Joe's contest in May at the Kansas Speedway has a brisket competition along wiht the regular KCBS contest. For the brisket contest they tag your briskets (up to 2), you cook them, thay watch you cut the brisket and put it in the box. The top ten go into the second round - they come back around and watch you slice from the same brisket and turn in for the second round. No garnish - just meat.

In the Galveston County Fair and Rodeo there are 280 teams and from the first turn in they take the top 25. The winners are picked from there. No garnish here niether, just meat. Do ya put whole slices in or cut them in half?

Well "normally" you put in the whole slice. We trim our brisket before we cook it so that a full slice will just fit in the turnin box. Have to allow for shrinkage.

In the Galveston County Fair and Rodeo there are 280 teams and from the first turn in they take the top 25. The winners are picked from there. No garnish here niether, just meat. Do ya put whole slices in or cut them in half?

This is where a call to the event organizer would be a good idea!:cool:

Sounds like an IBCA contest to me. Where in Galveston County do you live?

I read the rules and it is not IBCA. Just their own rules. I agree with Jorge. Contac the organizer.

As long as the Brisket isn't longer than the turnin box put in whole slices. 1/4 inch thick, or the width of a number 2 pencil. I always cut them in order and layer them just like they came off the whole brisket. this way each peice fits into the next and looks uniform.

Most likely like IBCA. Like where the turn in box makes it to the final table. Same box just gets passed on.

Most likely like IBCA. Like where the turn in box makes it to the final table. Same box just gets passed on.

That was my first guess, but I haven't found this event listed by IBCA, LSBS, or TGCBA?.

Brisket

We did the Ok Joes brisket open last year, we had a brisket that was soooo tender we had to cut it cowboy thick. You know what? It took 5th. That was the last brisket I would have thought we would get a call with.

Back