The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/index.php)
-   Competition BBQ (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   Pellet cooker the way to go at comps (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=51033)

Sledneck 10-22-2008 11:03 AM

Pellet cooker the way to go at comps

Joey Mac's Smoke Stax Team Wins Prestigious American Royal Barbecue Contest with "Green" Pellet Fired Smoker

Pellet smoker-cooking trend takes team to Grand Championship at American Royal Barbecue invitational contest.
Kansas City, MO (PRWEB) October 17, 2008 -- Joe McManus walked to the winner's circle at Kansas City's 2008 American Royal Barbecue invitational contest to collect $12,500 and the Grand Championship, which includes an invitation to compete for the next five years. The Naperville, IL team, Joey Mac's Smoke Stax, cooked the winning 'que on a pellet fired smoker. Pellet smokers have been a trend among competitors for the last 5 years as more and more teams have won contests using the smokers. Of the 106 teams competing in the Royal invitational, 20 of them cooked on pellet smokers.
McManus, cooking as Joey Mac's Smoke Stax, cooked on a pellet smoker. "I absolutely love the http://www.cookshack.com/competition [Fast Eddy's by Cookshack] (pellet) cooker - it is a dream to use; you simply press a button and go. We all know it's a fantastic competition cooker. You get very consistent quality and there's never any question about how your product will turn out."
Pellets are considered a "green" renewable fuel source as they are made of 100% wood food grade sawdust, which is compressed into the small pellets used in smoke-cooking. These clean burning pellets are carbon neutral, and add no more carbon dioxide back into the atmosphere than the trees they came from. Many team captains express pride in "going green".
The American Royal Barbecue invitational cook-off was host to 106 cooking teams from the U.S. and Canada, all contending for celebrated titles and cash prizes. Teams using pellet smokers made up 20% of the total, winning not only the Grand Championship but first place in each of the KCBS-specified categories of brisket, pork, and chicken. Four of the top ten teams cooked on pellet smokers.
Teams who make the invitation list are no slouches. American Royal rules require that each team win a qualifying state championship, signed by the governor of the state. The team must win the state championship by beating 25 other teams in a Kansas City Barbecue Society sanctioned cook-off. Maurin says, "When you are going head to head against those cooking in the invitational, you are cooking against the best of the best!"

The American Royal open category included almost 500 teams, and Andy Groneman of Smoke on Wheels, using a pellet smoker, singlehandedly walked off with Reserve Grand Champion.
While competing is fun, it is also serious business, which is why "Choosing the proper smoker is of utmost importance," according Ed (Fast Eddy) Maurin, pioneer in the pellet smoker industry. Maurin says of his product, "I've been competing since 1986 and have learned from my own experience and from other Grand Champion winners what was needed to design and create what I think are the best smoker ovens on the market."

http://www.prweb.com/releases/2008/10/prweb1480564.htm

Jacked UP BBQ 10-22-2008 11:55 AM

I agree this must be the way to go, but I think they should be illegal to use in comp. If they are allowed they should also allow propane.

Scottie 10-22-2008 12:04 PM

I am finding that there isn't much that you agree with in comp cooking... If you dislike it so much, why do it? People are always making excuses, from judges to cookers for getting waxed. And for the record, I am a pellet cooker and would welcome the opportunity to face the gas cookers. I am not afraid of them. Just like I do not know why you are afraid of pellet cookers, but not Guru's or Stokers or whatever else that controls fires?

I was told early on by my dad. A true champion knows how to lose as well as winning. Don't blame your equipment, look in the mirror.

My advice would be to just cook better.

Jacked UP BBQ 10-22-2008 12:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scottie (Post 763491)
I am finding that there isn't much that you agree with in comp cooking... If you dislike it so much, why do it? People are always making excuses, from judges to cookers for getting waxed. And for the record, I am a pellet cooker and would welcome the opportunity to face the gas cookers. I am not afraid of them. Just like I do not know why you are afraid of pellet cookers, but not Guru's or Stokers or whatever else that controls fires?

I was told early on by my dad. A true champion knows how to lose as well as winning. Don't blame your equipment, look in the mirror.

My advice would be to just cook better.

What are you talking about, I love comp cooking. Sounds like someone woke up on the wrong side of the bed this morning. You must have me mistaken for your buddy unforgiven. I'll give you the chance to renig your silly comments or we can go at it all day. :twisted:

HoDeDo 10-22-2008 12:13 PM

OG - I think they should allow all cookers... Cookshack Electrics, Propane CTOs, you name it. Having cooked on a stick burner for the first 8-10 years, I switched to pellets when I started doing more than 10 contests a year, and had the family in tow. It just made since for us. I know on any given weekend, I've had my butt kicked by a trash can, a lang, a jambo pit, and a country smoker. But I love to mix it up with all of them. For the record, the best brisket I've ever eaten came off of a trash can. :)

I cooked in the LP Que last year on a rented CTO, and hated it, compared to my FEC or Kingfisher Rotisserie... But I know guys that do well with the CTOs too...(propane off of course)... so I say cook on what ya like.

Til then, I just look forward to getting to scrap with Scottie again! Goin to little rock in the Spring??? :)

HoDeDo 10-22-2008 12:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sledneck (Post 763435)
The American Royal open category included almost 500 teams, and Andy Groneman of Smoke on Wheels, using a pellet smoker, singlehandedly walked off with Reserve Grand Champion.
While competing is fun, it is also serious business, which is why "Choosing the proper smoker is of utmost importance," according Ed (Fast Eddy) Maurin, pioneer in the pellet smoker industry. Maurin says of his product, "I've been competing since 1986 and have learned from my own experience and from other Grand Champion winners what was needed to design and create what I think are the best smoker ovens on the market."

http://www.prweb.com/releases/2008/10/prweb1480564.htm

Thanks Sled, I had not seen that.... but they are wrong... it took both hands to walk off with that 8-):roll: Woo hoo!!!! Still lovin it.
AG

bbqczar 10-22-2008 12:19 PM

I will take on all cookers as well,gassers,pellet,paper,gasoline,nuclear,you name it !Scottie,looking forward to meeting you and cooking against you in Phoenix next month.The event there was big last year and will be even bigger and better this year !

Jacked UP BBQ 10-22-2008 12:29 PM

It has nothing to do with scared, just an opinion, obviously someone's feelings got hurt! I just think if you allow electric, you should allow gas. I don't use guru's just charcoal and wood. And I also rarely get my arse waxed, just my eyebrows. Continue to use your pellets and enjoy life and your trophies! You the man!

Sledneck 10-22-2008 12:32 PM

Iwish I had the extra cash for an FEC. Maybe one day:wink:

Jacked UP BBQ 10-22-2008 12:40 PM

chit I would take one too. PLease don't jump down my throat:-o!

Jeff_in_KC 10-22-2008 12:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HoDeDo (Post 763512)
Thanks Sled, I had not seen that.... but they are wrong... it took both hands to walk off with that 8-):roll: Woo hoo!!!! Still lovin it.
AG

Baloney, Andy! You and I both know it takes our wives hands in the mix! So four-handedly! :lol:

BBQSMYBFF 10-22-2008 12:59 PM

Try this...

get rid of your pellet, your store bought rubs, your sweet baby rays and store bought sauces and come down and lets talk..

anyone can throw together some pellets, throw a plug into a 110v socket, rub their meet with store bought, and sweet baby rays sauce and go to a competition...

everyone on this sites jumps all over everyone. we all have comments and opinions are like poop holes.. everyone has one so take everyones comments and opinions for what it is worth..

my opinion.. if you use a pellet smoker for competition it takes the skill out of it.. everyone on here has skills and likes to use them.. why take it out of the game with a pellet smoker!?!

I CHOOSE TO WAKE UP AT 2AM AND 5AM TO CHECK MY WOOD AND COAL.. NOT JUST PLUG IT IN AND NOT WORRY ABOUT IT.. LOL

Bentley 10-22-2008 01:02 PM

Wow...I did not know I was a Tree Hugger!

BBQSMYBFF 10-22-2008 01:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bentley (Post 763556)
Wow...I did not know I was a Tree Hugger!

lol.. mr traeger.. lol

Bentley 10-22-2008 01:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OC PIG ASSASSINS (Post 763477)
I agree this must be the way to go, but I think they should be illegal to use in comp. If they are allowed they should also allow propane.

Teams can cook with cow patties as far as I am concerned!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scottie (Post 763491)
And for the record, I am a pellet cooker and would welcome the opportunity to face the gas cookers. I am not afraid of them.

Preach it Brother...I agree!

Edit Mod: Did not see 2nd comment....Man I sure got the "knows how to lose" part down.