The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/index.php)
-   Competition BBQ (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   Should we change our BBQ Team Name? (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=113550)

Sawdustguy 08-12-2011 10:27 AM

Should we change our BBQ Team Name?

At every contest there always seems to be someone who doesn't share our sense of humor. Our team name is The Two Fat Polocks BBQ Team and it describes me and my brother to a tee. At this past weekend's BOTBB we got a hard time from one of the spectators because of the "Polocks" in our team name. We are actually very proud of our Polish heritage. My brother and I figure if you can't make fun of yourself you have no sense of humor. On the other hand, we do not want to offend anyone either. This is not the first time it has happened. The name gets a chuckle out of most, but from time to time we encounter someone who doesn't share our humor. What do you think? Should we consider changing our name?

Warthog 08-12-2011 10:32 AM

I see no problem with you team name. I find it to be a great team name. If some people are so thin skinned that your team name offends them so be it. From what I see there is always someone who get offended by something.
There are a lot of over the top team names out there. They are all good!
PS: I think I have seen your team in a few comps here in the North East. Next time I will stop by and say hello.

colonel00 08-12-2011 10:37 AM

I think it is fine as well. It is not intended to offend and much better than many I have seen. A buddy of mine calls his team My Dixie Wrecked and I always fancied the name Liquor in the Front, Smoker in the Rear.

Podge 08-12-2011 10:39 AM

It's totally your call. If you all were not Polish, I'd say change it.

SmokeInDaEye 08-12-2011 10:50 AM

It's a great name and it really showcases the teams great sense of humor.

BBQ_MAFIA 08-12-2011 10:51 AM

Don't change anything!!
It's a great team name with a great logo.
Besides that, you and the rest of the team are great people.
You will never make everybody happy so don't even try.
Anybody who has ever talked with your team knows that
there is nothing mean spirted about The Two Fat Polocks.

Good luck with what ever you decide to do.....

timzcardz 08-12-2011 10:52 AM

Yes, by all means change it!

Then I'll find a reason that your new name is offensive and you can change it again. :wink:

And again, and again, and again, ad infinitum.

Fark'em if they can't take a joke, a self-deprecating one at that.

You can't please everyone, so as long as you aren't pissing off everyone, just worry about pleasing yourself.

Cue's Your Daddy 08-12-2011 11:06 AM

How is it offensive? Your polish and a little on the fat side...

Q-Dat 08-12-2011 11:11 AM

PLEEEEEEEEEEEAAASE DON'T CHANGE IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Political correctness is eating away at our nation like a cancer! People need to get it through their heads that they have absolutely no constitutional right whatsoever to not be offended!

Mini rant over.

pigmaker23 08-12-2011 11:13 AM

must have been a lesbo,vegetarion, skinny chick.... :-P

Alexa RnQ 08-12-2011 11:17 AM

*sigh* Your team name suits YOU, you picked it out to please yourselves, not every passerby. Considering some of the awful names out there I wouldn't start by picking on you guys!

Seriously, people walk up and give you grief about it? Can you go off on them with a few well-chosen sentences in Polish??

NS Mike D 08-12-2011 11:18 AM

Intention and perception

When I first saw your sign, I assumed you were Polish and had no intention of using the word with any malice- just the opposite - pride and a sense of humor.

That's just me, but I suspect that is how most people would perceive it.

Of course, there will always be someone offended.

My only complaint would be false advertising. Not one kielbasa was fired up and shared with your neighbors all weekend.

It's your choice of how politically correct you want to be, and if you are comfortable with it, I'd say don't change it.

Words only have the meaning we ascribed to them.

Lake Dogs 08-12-2011 11:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cue's Your Daddy (Post 1747465)
How is it offensive? Your polish and a little on the fat side...

Or fat and a little on the Polish side....

PLEASE DONT CHANGE THE NAME. BE OFFENDED THAT THEY TOOK OFFENSE. IT'S AN INSULT TO YOUR HERITAGE.

Seriously. They really need to get a life.

We have a lot, and I mean a LOT of "cats taste like chicken" and "cat, it's what's for dinner" type of signs. People are constantly acting all pissy. They can kiss my fanny for all I care. We have them because they're funny. Oh, we also have 3 freakin' cats at home, and they're not on the menu (yet).

deguerre 08-12-2011 11:24 AM

The Grim Reaper has spoken. End of story. Fark 'em.

Arlin_MacRae 08-12-2011 11:39 AM

Fark those guys! If you have to, tell them you ARE two fat Polocks and if they still don't get it, walk away - gestures optional! :)