Spare ribs and smoked side dishes (questions)

Big slick

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
Saturday I am smoking 4 slabs of spare ribs. I basically have a pretty good understanding of what I need to do but I am curious about the whole foiling process? Is it necessary to foil the ribs and then smoke them for another hour? Or can I just pull them and cut them up? What are the added benefits? When should I foil the ribs if I choose to do so? Is it a goo idea to add apple juice to the foil? Will apple juice in my water pan add a lot more flavor or should I just stick with water?

Part II
I want to make some side dishes when I smoke the spare ribs. What should I make? What pairs well with ribs? I was thinking pig candy or ABTs but I would love to do a vegetable as well. What ideas do you guys have for me? I'll need recipes or links to good recipes if you have a suggestion.

A huge thank you in advance!

Big Slick (Nick)

Well Slick, I don't foil my ribs. I cook 'em for about 6 hours until they pass the bend test. Search for the 3-2-1 method (3 hours in smoke, 2 hours in foil, 1 hour in smoke). Some find those times to be too long and go like 2.5-1.5-1.

As far as sides, I love smoked sweet potatoes. Smoke 'em til they're soft, scoop 'em into a big bowl, add butter, brown sugar, garlic, chipotle, pecans, salt and mix til smooth. Great w/ Q. Also cole slaw is always good with any Q. Beans on the smoker are good. Mac 'n Cheese too.

Some foil and some don't. Totally up to you & your preference. I used to foil but don't any more. I like my spares & BB's better unfoiled.

Side dishes? I loves me some slaw & beans for sure. Fried sweet potato chips & dip (1/4 your favorite BBQ Sauce & 3/4 Ranch Dressing) are always a hit if you have the time. MOINK Balls & wings are always a hit too. Cheers!!!

^^^^^^
What he said!! and the next guy also!!

Clark, you didn't leave any ans. for us other guys!:p

Wait.... ABT'S My favorite!!

^^^ some foil; some dont. We do foil, mainly to govern the amount of smoke on ribs. I foil at the 1.5 hour mark. On my smoker (yes, this is smoker specific) we get a nice smoke ring going about 1/2 way through the meat at that time. I foil and spritz HEAVILY before we wrap it up. Back on the smoker then for the remainder of the time, usually about 3 to 3.5 hours (4.5 to 5 total).

I think I'll go unfoiled for now. What about putting apple juice in the water pan of my WSM?

I like the sweet potatoe idea and the beans. We just had coleslaw 2 weeks ago and everyone had their fill of it plus I really dislike coleslaw. I still think I want to do ABTs or pig candy as an appetizer.

Keri C's Hog Apple Beans cooked on the smoker, using the smoked rib trimmings, are a perfect side.

I like using fresh apples rather than the pie filling and also maple syrup instead of brown sugar but YMMV.

Peach pie filling or fresh peaches and a fatty are also great substitutes in the Hog Apple Bean recipe.

Honestly, it's a waste of apple juice.

agree, i used to put apple juice in my water pans, but quite a while ago and havent noticed anything missing.

i used to foil the racks individually (with apple cider) , but last time (after about 2.5 hrs, i put 4 racks into a foil pan and dumped a can of cherry coke in the bottom and covered with foil for another hour or and then finished direct with sauce for about another 45 mins. the family said it was the best attempt to date.

i try something different every time so i never really know if i found something good or just got lucky, but imo no you dont need the cider in the water pan.

Keri C's Hog Apple Beans cooked on the smoker, using the smoked rib trimmings, are a perfect side.

I like using fresh apples rather than the pie filling and also maple syrup instead of brown sugar but YMMV.

Ya can't go wrong using Keri's beans. :clap2::clap2:

Honestly, it's a waste of apple juice.
^^^ +1 ^^^

I used to put all kinds of things in my water pan. NONE of them really made any difference that I or anyone I cooked for could tell.

The ONLY thing I ever did that seemed to make a difference was soaking my smoking wood in bourbon for a couple of hours before using it. THAT made a difference you could taste but not enough to justify the loss of all that bourbon...:wink:

Ya can't go wrong using Keri's beans. :clap2::clap2:

not to hijack.... but i made those beans last weekend:shocked: man those were killer. best beans ive ever had. my friends and family were all asking for the recipe. Oh and i dont foil all the time, but when time is an issue ill foil to speed things up a bit.

I plan on cooking butts, brisket, & ribs for a dinner for my son's sports team on Monday-sides will be potato rolls,slaw, blk bean/corn/tomato salad, bkd penne w/ meatballs-I thought about corn muffins, but I don't think they'll get noticed. I'll have some toppings-pickled red onions, jalapenos, salsa, guacamole, tortillas & dessert will be fruit, poundcake, & ice cream-will let you know how it goes...

Back