UDS Question

D

derektr81

Sorry if I am asking this question in the wrong place. I am making my second UDS but the lid does not have a bung hole. Does anyone have a recommended method to cut a hole and add a stack on the lid of the UDS? Thanks in advance.

you could use a piece of 2" electrical conduit with a lock nut on each side of the lid. Using a hole saw to match the outside diameter of the conduit.

One more option...
I drilled 8 holes around the perimeter of the lid on mine for even exhaust.

http://cowgirlscountry.blogspot.com/2008/05/my-uds-so-far.html

100_5969-1.jpg

006-4.jpg

Good luck with what ever you go with!

Hole saw of proper diameter(to match O.D. of pipe used). If using a threaded pipe go a touch smaller than pipe OD so you can sort of thread it into the lid.

Leave the lid alone and drill the exhaust holes in the side near the top. Keeps the rain out and works perfect.

Mine didn't have a bung so I made one. I used a 2/12" cable clamp. Lay out the hole drill 1/8" holes around the circumference, cut the pieces between the holes with a chisel or a flathead screw driver and a few lite hammer taps.
155.jpg

154.jpg

Oh another option is 3/4" black elbows around the outside (4 of them) and you can plug them when you shut down. Thats a good way for if it rains...water can't get in.

Oh another option is 3/4" black elbows around the outside (4 of them) and you can plug them when you shut down. Thats a good way for if it rains...water can't get in.

I think I said that already but you don't need elbows. Just cover with magnets when done.

All of the 55gallon smokers I build are equipped with a 3.5" length of 12 guage new exhaust tubing. The 85's and 110 gallon models get a 4" flue, a little longer. Both are centered and the 3.5" is designed to be run wide open. Just adjust the intake. The larger ones are used as a damper too depending on product load. These are real numbers and facts. Steve.

Back