Left over brisket in chili

buffalotom

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
Last night my wife mentioned that she would like to make a pot of chili. I mentioned that I was going to smoke a couple of briskets this weekend and she could use the leftovers in her chili. She laughed and said that would not work. I looked at her and asked why? Have any of you used it in chili? I think the smokiness would be great.

Well, yeah. Your wife must think only ground beef goes in chili. Many moons ago at bash events Phil would start the chili with maybe 5# of smoked chuck. Then as the weekend progressed, leftover brisket, pork, sausage, you get the picture?, would get thrown in. By Sunday that was some righteous chili. Probably cooled and reheated 3-4 times as we'd always forget it sitting in the verticle chamber of the Klose BYC!! Good times!

I make brisket and pulled pork chili with chipotle and some other stuff - tastes fanfarkingtastic!

Once you go brisket, you'll never go back! Let it slow simmer for extra beefy, smoky stock, mmm baby; makin' a big batch next week for my race weekend crowd.

Best chili ever. Do a search here for "leftover brisket chili". Its a very simple recipe, and it's the bomb!

As the winter weather slowly starts to creep in, I always make sure I have some brisket flat and or point in the freezer to make brisket chili. It is a taste treat that can't be beat. Always enough for several big pots because it is so darn good.

Use brisket leftovers for chili?

I will cook briskets for the sole purpose of making chili!

It just doesn't get any better.

That reminds me, I have 2 1-gallon ziplocs of brisket in the freezer that I need to defrost for chili next weekend. Thanks.

Any smoked leftover meat works great in chili, even poultry.

I made a batch of leftover meat chili with brisket, pulled pork, and pulled chicken. It was quite tasty.

Chili004.jpg

I've never done it myself, but one of the local Que joints uses the leftover meats for their chili. Best restaurant chili I've over had!

From the recipe database:
Brisket Chili
Recipe Number: 1162320121
Contributor: Jeff In KC
Rating: 10.00 based on 2 votes
Rate This Recipe

Serves: NA
Calories Per Serving: NA
Preparation Time: NA
Difficulty: Easy

Ingredients: 2 lbs. smoked brisket (chunked, cubed) 4 strips cooked bacon (cut up) 4 cloves garlic (diced) 1 small onion (diced) 1 tsp coarse ground black pepper 1 tsp ground cumin 1 tsp ground ginger 1/2 Tbs red pepper flakes 1 Tbs seasoning salt 3 Tbs chili powder 1 Tbs paprika 1 Tbs dry mustard 1 tsp ground oregano 1 can Rotel 1 12 oz. can V8 Picante 1 small can tomato paste 1 12 oz. bottle dark beer

Cooking Instructions: 1. Chunk brisket and place in bottom of a large crock pot 2. Dice garlic cloves finely and onion finely or leave larger chunks based uopn preference. 3. Fry bacon pieces in large skillet until nearly crisp, do not drain 4. Add diced garlic and onion. Saute until onion is transluscent. 5. Add all dry spices and seasonings. Stir into onion, bacon and garlic mixture. 6. Add Rotel, V8 and tomato paste to mixture. Stir well until tomato paste is thinned. 7. Add a full bottle of dark beer. Mix well and simmer for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally. 8. Dump mixture on top of brisket in Crock Pot and stir well. Add a medium size jar of your favorite salsa in your prefered heat level. Then add additional V8 if the crock pot needs to be more full. 9. If you're a bean person, add a can of black beans and a can of pinto beans and mix in well. 10. Cover and set on low for a minimum of six hours, preferably 8-12 hours if time allows. Serving Suggestions: Serving Suggestions: Try serving over Fritos with shredded cheese on top. You can also add a hotter sauce at the table if desired.

I've made this a couple times and it rocks.

Back