The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/index.php)
-   Q-talk (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Tuning Plates and Baffle (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=66645)

Sgtcomp0311 08-09-2009 11:16 AM

Tuning Plates and Baffle

I will be receiving my first smoker in about 2 weeks. It is a gift, a little birdy told me about.......I just need to act surprised that day! Anyway, it is a CG Smoking Pro. I have been researching the mods that are recommended to the unit. I am going to do most of them as I assemble it. My question is on the tuning plates and baffle. What gauge sheet metal do you guys recommend? My local home depot/lowes do not carry any pre cut pieces so I will go to a local steel fabricator. I also plan on getting my expanded metal from him as well.

Thanks for the help!
Matt

B-Lazy BBQ 08-09-2009 12:32 PM

I used 16ga. (1/16") on mine. No pics yet. Wife has the camera, and I'm doing a trial with a chuck roll, cut in fourths. Did the mods yesterday. Staying about 15-20 difference across the smoker. Holding at 250* right next to firebox. Will post pics soon.

Sgtcomp0311 08-09-2009 08:14 PM

Thanks a ton!! Since you are having good results, looks likes thats what I'll get!!

Sgtcomp0311 08-09-2009 09:42 PM

Actually, doing more research, would steel plates be better than sheet metal?? Thoughts anyone........

countyliner 08-10-2009 06:47 AM

I have the same question, Sgtcomp. Seems like steel plate would help hold heat.

I've had my Chargriller for a few years now and love it. Until joining the Brethren, it never occured to me to make modifications. Mine is about worn out now but I will definately buy another and make some mods to it.

Swibirun shows some mods he made on the 'Brinkman Smoker' thread. Might get some ideas there.

Would like to hear what you decide on doing.

Thanks

Desert Dweller 08-10-2009 08:12 AM

Is the CG Smoker Pro an offset? If so, I have it's predicessor, the New Brunsfeld model. I used steel plates for my heat shield/baffle and the tuning plates. It works just fine. Shhet metal would not, I think, distribute the heat nor hold up as well.

I know I posted pics of the mods but I sure can't find them now. Good Luck!

Crüe-B-Cüe 08-10-2009 09:10 AM

I used tuning plates on my CG. I bought the precut little plates at Lowe's. They were about 6 x 12. Sat perfectly just above the opening to fire box. I used 4 plates.

Sgtcomp0311 08-10-2009 10:11 AM

I am thinking I will be going with steel. DesertDweller brought up the right idea and I agree. The steel will; A) hold up better and B) retain the heat better.
I figure I will use plates that are about 1/16" - 1/8" thick.

Countyliner or Que: I do not even have mine yet....I want to get all materials prior to assembly.....what lenght will the plates need to be?

Thank you

jacob 08-10-2009 12:45 PM

We need a thread with pics on how to tune a pit. I can understand pictures descriptions a lot better. I have this same dilemma coming up soon myself.

smokeythebama 08-10-2009 03:25 PM

got my baffle from Lowes, 16ga steel, 8"x18" little big had to cut it down. Seems to work alot better. Big improvement was charcoal basket. Holds temp alot better. Shaker basket from lowes, cut handles off, use round stock also from Lowes as supports, works magic.

Sgtcomp0311 08-10-2009 09:08 PM

Hey Smokey,
yeah, looks like I am going to go with the steel.

On Weds, I will stop by a local steel fabricator/machine shop. I am going to have him make me everything I need. The local Home Dep/Lowes dont stock the pices of expanded metal, or pieces of metal/sheet metal.

One of the members here, HawgHeaven, has a decent tutorial as a PDF if you google Char Griller Mods. I am using his work as my template. That along with the other information provided from the BBQ Brethern should make a nice pit. Naturally, I still have unanswered questions, but, I will learn as I go and ask questions when needed. I actually asked another member, ThePigman, about his charcoal basket and he is sending me info on a mod tomorrow.

There is a good group of guys here!!

toadhunter911 08-10-2009 09:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sgtcomp0311 (Post 995188)
Hey Smokey,
yeah, looks like I am going to go with the steel.

On Weds, I will stop by a local steel fabricator/machine shop. I am going to have him make me everything I need. The local Home Dep/Lowes dont stock the pices of expanded metal, or pieces of metal/sheet metal.

One of the members here, HawgHeaven, has a decent tutorial as a PDF if you google Char Griller Mods. I am using his work as my template. That along with the other information provided from the BBQ Brethern should make a nice pit. Naturally, I still have unanswered questions, but, I will learn as I go and ask questions when needed. I actually asked another member, ThePigman, about his charcoal basket and he is sending me info on a mod tomorrow.

There is a good group of guys here!!

100% agreed...

Sgtcomp0311 08-10-2009 10:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by toadhunter911 (Post 995268)
100% agreed...

Dont take this the wrong way, but how could you not agree!!

Everyone, and I mean everyone from Food Network Star down to the guy wondering where to find his next per diem job is helpful. We are all a bunch of guys (and girls ) gathered in search of perfect Q'ue. I truly appreciate everyone here!!

nolaman 08-10-2009 11:12 PM

WELL SAID!!!!

I also bought a chargriller duo w/sfb recently, my first smoker. Are yall talking tuning plates to transfer heat from one side the darn thing to the other? TELL ME MOORE... TELL ME MORE...

I got a TRUCK LOAD of questions to ask about how to tame the beast.
Would appreciate any pointers my way...

My Q needs alot of improving!:razz:

bwproducts2000 07-01-2014 10:09 PM

I have had been smoking for over 15 years and on a offset you definitely have to make mods or you will be chasing your heat constantly. Heres what I did on my second offset(smokey Joes longhorn), and this is from my hit and miss of my first one. I added the following: Baffle(1/4"), 5 tuning plates. 2 8" (1/4"), 2 6" and 1 4" (1/8") all from steel because it retains heat better. I added to the fire box and to the cooking chamber a graphite Fiberglass gasket with 2 pull down clamps to each side. I also made a 12" by 6 " charcoal basket set up for the minion method. Also brought the stack down to approx. 1 " from the cooking grate and added the existing pipe(6") to the smokestack. Added hole to accept cables for external temp units and lastly 1/4" by 6" piece of steel where I lay on a angle in the firebox to help direct the heat into the cooking chamber. By doing this I maintain a 5 degree difference from left to right on a normal day (can't complain about this) and my food turns out fab everytime. When I get a chance, I will post pictures how it looks and the mods I made. if anyone has any questions, call me, I am always willing to share the Magic of Smoking meat, because that is what it is (910)381-0968!
Steve