The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/index.php)
-   Q-talk (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Plastice Wrap on Pork and Brisket (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=40115)

Just Pulin' Pork 03-31-2008 12:11 AM

Plastice Wrap on Pork and Brisket

I have question on using plastic wrap on meat. What brand do you use when using plastic wrap as the initial wrap, followed by aluminum foil. Will any brand work or is there a particular kind I should buy. My biggest fear is having the plastic melt to the meat! Advise on this topic is much appreciated!

Midnight Smoke 03-31-2008 12:15 AM

I just wrap in foil. Seems to work fine.

QansasjayhawQ 03-31-2008 12:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jonmadichris (Post 602442)
I have question on using plastic wrap on meat. What brand do you use when using plastic wrap as the initial wrap, followed by aluminum foil. Will any brand work or is there a particular kind I should buy. My biggest fear is having the plastic melt to the meat! Advise on this topic is much appreciated!

I do not use plastic wrap. Once proper internal temp is reached, I wrap in foil, cooler and proceed from there.

Just Pulin' Pork 03-31-2008 12:27 AM

I currently use foil only. I want to start using plastic wrap and see what it does. Seems lots of competitors use it.

BBQ Grail 03-31-2008 12:32 AM

You might want to read this thread!

fnnm358 03-31-2008 05:46 AM

the only time I use cling wrap is when I first do the rub and refrigerate, remove put on cooker and only foil when done.

Grumpy's Q 03-31-2008 08:53 AM

I think what you are looking for is food service wrap rather than " saran wrap". I've seen it at Sam's, thought about trying it myself. I believe it has different temp ranges than saran. I've been to several BBQ places that use it to wrap meat kept in a warmer.

gordo 03-31-2008 09:02 AM

Have seen some teams use it....
Looked like more of a hassle than it was worth..:roll:

rookiedad 03-31-2008 09:11 AM

i was suprised to find that regular old saran did not melt at some pretty high temps (under foil). try it on something small to test it out.

phil

Just Pulin' Pork 03-31-2008 04:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark (Post 602858)
Quite possibly, smoking with plastic wrap is the dummest idea since using kitty litter in the water pan.

The idea is not to smoke with plastic. The idea is when you wrap your meat, as alot of people do, and you use plastic, will it melt. I see teams do it all the time and all I am asking is what type of wrap do they use. I do not want to know if it is stupid, dumd, idiotic. What I want to know is what kind of wrap peoiple are using. If you can not answer that question please stay out! Thank You!

RichardF 03-31-2008 04:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jonmadichris (Post 602887)
The idea is not to smoke with plastic. The idea is when you wrap your meat, as alot of people do, and you use plastic, will it melt. I see teams do it all the time and all I am asking is what type of wrap do they use. I do not want to know if it is stupid, dumd, idiotic. What I want to know is what kind of wrap peoiple are using. If you can not answer that question please stay out! Thank You!

Good question - I typically use the the Kirkland brand from COSTCO.

http://plumgoodfood.com/images/image...ndFoodWrap.jpg

BBQchef33 03-31-2008 05:54 PM

I have seen many pros double/triple wrap a brisket in food service wrap and then wrap it in foil also. In fact, i was taught this technique in several cooking classes. I personally only tried it once, and after wrestling with the wrap and having it stick to itself i gave up and will use only foil when needed.

There are wraps out there designed for oven use. Similar to the roasting bags for tukeys and the like. I cannot remember the brand I had(Yellow and blue box), but the label clearly said its good to 300 degrees in the oven. I think if you just check the labels, you'll find one you can experiment with.

Also, the plastic wraps you have seen used are likely much thicker than the regular saran wrap u get in the supermarket for covering your leftovers.

Re: The leaching issue.. who knows.. if its graded as food safe up to 300+ degrees, I would use it. I also marinade stuff in plastic bags that have no rating as food safe and Im not dead yet. In either case, thats a topic for a different thread.

River City Smokehouse 04-01-2008 12:48 PM

If you need to wrap in plastic, use the Reynolds brand oven bags. They will not melt under high heat. I used to use them all the time.

Wizards of 'Que 04-02-2008 08:20 AM

I know several teams which cook in film rather than foil. It will not melt at bbq temps. It seems to work well.

parrothead 04-02-2008 10:00 AM

While there is some good discussion on the safety of plastic wrap, the OP is wanting to know what brands to try. Let's just get thaty out of the way and then the debate can go on, or I can split into the food safety section. Think I will do that in a few minutes.