The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/index.php)
-   Competition BBQ (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   Helping Other Teams Cook? (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=104684)

Burk504 04-17-2011 07:51 PM

Helping Other Teams Cook?

I have a crazy hypothetical question. If a teams cooker broke or some other weird situation occurred in the middle of a comp where they could finish one or all of their meats, is it legal for another team to assist by lending space in their cooker?

There was some discussion about this at Salisbury this weekend and I thought you guys could resolve it for me.

MilitantSquatter 04-17-2011 07:55 PM

It's against current KCBS Rules

http://www.kcbs.us/pdf/2011_Rules_an...12-10-2010.pdf

3) Each team will be assigned a cooking space. Pits, cookers,
props, trailers, motor homes, vehicles, tents or any other
equipment (including generators) shall not exceed the
boundaries of the team’s assigned cooking space. All
seasoning and cooking of product shall be done within the
assigned cooking space.
Teams shall not share an assigned
cooking space or cooking device.

Finney 04-17-2011 08:01 PM

What Vinny said. ^^^

Dan - 3eyzbbq 04-17-2011 08:45 PM

Deleted-

Didn't read fully

Cue's Your Daddy 04-18-2011 11:18 AM

I do think a team can borrow another smoker from a team but the pitt has to be moved into the other teams space.

Lake Dogs 04-18-2011 11:23 AM

^^^ What they said. It's more than just KCBS. Most sanctioning bodies have same/similar rules.

jrbBBQ 04-18-2011 09:39 PM

I was wondering about that as well... Lets say I have an extra UDS or kettle and a team next to me had a catastrophic failure of thier cooker. As long as we aren't cooking our product on the same cooker, could I lend them anything extra I wasn't using? I've only been to two contests and everyone I've met have been great people, I think it'd be a shame if they couldn't finish the competition after all the work that everyone puts into thier product, even if it beats me.

Bunny 04-18-2011 11:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cue's Your Daddy (Post 1613981)
I do think a team can borrow another smoker from a team but the pitt has to be moved into the other teams space.

You can absolutely borrow a teams smoker that is not in use by another team. But you CANNOT use space on another team's pit.

Bentley 04-19-2011 01:00 AM

I know in Fairfield in 2004 sprinklers came on in the middle of the night. Blew the Traeger 075 out! Promoter had his big ole Evil Stick Burner, a Austin I think. He let me fire it up...Took 1st in Ribs and 2nd in Pork that contest I believe, 33 teams and I got 35 in Brisket...1st and last time I have ever cook a competition without pellets!

ParkAvenue_2 04-19-2011 12:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Burk504 (Post 1613391)
is it legal for another team to assist

Although you can't lend out space in your cooker, there are many instances where a cook team can help out another team if they run into some kind of cooker related trouble.

For example, we have re-routed electricity from our site to a neighbor's site when they blew out a fuse and their pellet feeder quit working due to no juice.

We've also borrowed electricity from neighboring teams and borrowed a generator from another team at different times.

This kind of help is pretty common, and something you should expect to find at almost any contest.

crd26a 04-19-2011 01:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ParkAvenue_2 (Post 1615263)
Although you can't lend out space in your cooker, there are many instances where a cook team can help out another team if they run into some kind of cooker related trouble.

For example, we have re-routed electricity from our site to a neighbor's site when they blew out a fuse and their pellet feeder quit working due to no juice.

We've also borrowed electricity from neighboring teams and borrowed a generator from another team at different times.

This kind of help is pretty common, and something you should expect to find at almost any contest.

I've helped out and been helped out at contests, its just one of the things you do. If a team was struggling or had issues, I'd do everything I could, but couldn't lend them any cooker I was using for my meats. I think most teams would understand and wouldn't raise a fuss, but its really designed to keep a team from entering more than once