The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/index.php)
-   Catering, Vending and Cooking For The Masses. (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=62)
-   -   Looking to jump into this Side Business (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=82413)

Mumpy 04-12-2010 02:55 PM

Looking to jump into this Side Business

Hello,
I am retired Military and recently I thought it would be fun to purchase a small trailer type smoker and sell BBQ sandwiches at the local Flee Market on Saturdays here in Georgia.

My question is this. What do I need to get this started. Even if you are knowledgeable of other states I would still like to hear from you.

Honestly I'm not looking to make a fortune here, just wanting to make some side cash and thought it would be a good way to do it on something I can do well, which is smoke pork.

FatBellyBBQ 04-12-2010 03:36 PM

I don't know how strict Georgia is and it usually depends on the local Board of health what requirements you will need. Up here in MA I need to have a certified kitchen, serv-safe manager certificate, BOH approval, GL insurance, Hawkers license, commercial NSF smoker, and local town or city approval. I have been vending at farmers markets for a few years now and you must get each city or town to approve you and you must get re-inspected by them.

Starting up I would go to your local BOH where you would like to sell BBQ to find out what they require you to have and go from there. You dont want to buy a smoker or lots of equipment if they will not allow you to use it. You also may have to test the waters at different markets like I did because some markets are busy and some don't bring in enough customers to break even.

I have lots of money invested just like other brethren that vend and its alot of fun for me and I love meet everyone, but it does take a lot of time and money to get started. You maybe able to work out a deal with a local school, VFW, or restaurant to use there kitchen, which could save you money and see if selling BBQ at the flee market is worth it for you.

Mumpy 04-12-2010 04:21 PM

Thank you for the reply. Question for you. What is BOH? Board of Health?

tmkshew 04-12-2010 04:30 PM

I have nothing to help you out with. I'm 23 years old. Just thought I'd say I think it's great. Thank you for your service.

I hope to start a business one day involving a trailer and some juicy pork and a whole lot of smoke. Keep us updated on how things are progressing. Good luck.

FatBellyBBQ 04-12-2010 05:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mumpy (Post 1247914)
Thank you for the reply. Question for you. What is BOH? Board of Health?

Yes you are correct Board of Health

grillfella 04-12-2010 05:22 PM

What Fatbelly said. Get all your ducks in a row with HD and you will probably venture into the catering business, which is an addictive passion. Best of luck and welcome to the Brethren:clap2:

jbrink01 04-12-2010 08:26 PM

I'm into it for about $90k, includinig the truck to pull the trailer. Work hard in the right places and you can pay that off in 18 months to 2 years as a side job working 26 - 30 vending days a year plus catering another couple dozen events. BTW - Thanks!

PCDoctor_1979 04-12-2010 08:43 PM

First of all, thank you for your service.

I've been at this in an organized fashion for a couple of years. It's allowed me to start small and accumulate equipment as I sold bigger projects. Over the winter, I found a mobile kitchen on eBay and am putting the finishing touches to have the HD come for a visit. There's a lot you can learn here. Welcome and good luck!

Mumpy 04-13-2010 12:47 PM

Thank you guys for your replies and the gratitude you've shown towards my service to this great country of ours but believe me when I say this, it was an Honor to Serve.

So, what would you say the VERY FIRST Step should be for me? Visit the Local Board of Health and find out what they require from me? IF that is the case I will do just that and then report back to you guys for not only my second step, but also what they told me, hehe.

Rangers Lead the Way!

FatBellyBBQ 04-13-2010 03:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mumpy (Post 1248805)
So, what would you say the VERY FIRST Step should be for me? Visit the Local Board of Health and find out what they require from me?

I would go to the Board of Health first to see what they have for a list of requirements and then proceed for there. They are generally very helpful and can point you in the right direction.

They love to see people who want to be legal and not try to break the rules and slide by as some do where I live. If you start off on the right foot with them, they will not bother you or give you a hard time during inspection like "making you have 7 sinks".