The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/index.php)
-   Q-talk (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   New UDS is coming in a few days (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=108013)

gaspipe1 06-03-2011 04:27 PM

New UDS is coming in a few days

OK since this is my 1st smoker that uses charcoal I am going to need to buy some tools what do you guys think?

Chimney Starter or the Electric plug in one with a coil?

Lump or Bric for fuel? (if you guys prefer a brand over another pls share)

Then there is what kind of chunk wood... man o man the list is growing

LoveBBQ 06-03-2011 04:33 PM

I just did my first smoke. I picked up a chimney. I started with KF blue. I have used apple for pork and I have some oak on hand. Planning on getting some hickory too.

1FUNVET 06-03-2011 04:50 PM

Need a chimney or weed burner. I prefer Stubbs in my UDS. Several options on the wood depending on your tastes. I use pecan,hickory,oak,cherry,mesquite,peach,plum,maple ,mulberry and sassafras.

Good luck :thumb:

Skidder 06-03-2011 04:57 PM

Good tongs and some welders gloves for hot grates. Also 2 good thermometers one for meat and one for the smoker.

gaspipe1 06-03-2011 09:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Skidder (Post 1663564)
Good tongs and some welders gloves for hot grates. Also 2 good thermometers one for meat and one for the smoker.

Gloves... that's a good point. I saw on amazon a pair of gloves that claim to protect your hand up to 475*. They are $15 each.. so $30 for the pair. What do you guys think? In the mean-time I will look how much welders gloves are.

Regarding the thermometers I have a couple but the one I always use is the Maveric that has dual probes..

gaspipe1 06-03-2011 09:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LoveBBQ (Post 1663536)
I just did my first smoke. I picked up a chimney. I started with KF blue. I have used apple for pork and I have some oak on hand. Planning on getting some hickory too.

I have a bunch of red oak logs that I have for the fireplace. Would that due well with pork and beef?

tu42gpw 06-03-2011 09:36 PM

Definitely hooked on the chimney...Weber makes a nice large-sized unit. I have been using mostly lump lately, being influenced somewhat by working through Gary Wiviott's "Low and Slow".

Gloves and a good thermometer are very good additions. As for wood, I like working with Hickory mostly.

Good luck and be sure to post some pics when you get it out and fired up!

martyleach 06-04-2011 12:12 AM

Do you have a gasser with a side burner? That is hands down the best way to get your chimney started.

On my UDS's, I have used both Stubbs and Kingsford Blue. Sorry, I can't tell the diff.
Just don't use lump as you will get temps too high.

For the wood, use small 1 X 2 pieces maximum. Maybe 2 or 3 pieces. Get your UDS up to temp and wait for it to settle in and the smoke to not be white. Then you be ready to cook.

Gotta have nice long tongs and welders gloves.

Have fun. I love my drums even though I also have a BGE.

rondini 06-04-2011 12:24 AM

I use Stubbs in my UDS. And what everybody else says ditto

gaspipe1 06-04-2011 12:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by martyleach (Post 1663963)
Do you have a gasser with a side burner? That is hands down the best way to get your chimney started.

I do... How do you use the side burner? About time I get to use it :clap2:

Quote:

On my UDS's, I have used both Stubbs and Kingsford Blue. Sorry, I can't tell the diff.
Just don't use lump as you will get temps too high.

TY for the heads up on the lump. I was under the impression that lump was a superior product to use.

Quote:

For the wood, use small 1 X 2 pieces maximum. Maybe 2 or 3 pieces. Get your UDS up to temp and wait for it to settle in and the smoke to not be white. Then you be ready to cook.

1x2? Is that like the size of a deck of cards? I am going to need to learn the difference between the white smoke and blue smoke everyone keeps mentioning here. I assume the white smoke is more like a "cloud" and the blue smoke will be more thiner and transparent smoke.

Quote:

Gotta have nice long tongs and welders gloves.

Are you able to move hot racks around with these gloves on?

ZouBBQ 06-04-2011 01:12 AM

blue smoke is thin and wispy, white smoke is thicker and more cloud-like. i think it's from there being more soot in the smoke but that's just my guess

gaspipe1 06-04-2011 02:20 PM

Just got back from HD bought a Two pack bag of Kingsford charcoal, a Weber Chimney starter and also a weber kettle tool kit clip on. I saw someone do this on their UDS and thought that is a great lil cheap trick for tools to hang off of. Still no luck on the gloves yet.

Thirsty4Q 06-04-2011 02:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gaspipe1 (Post 1664342)
Still no luck on the gloves yet.

try yellowpaging a welding supply store to see what is close by to you. I was going to my local place to buy CO2 tanks, and saw a pair I bout for $8, and they are big gauntlet style with suede exterior. Quite comfy too!

ciret 06-04-2011 03:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gaspipe1 (Post 1664014)
I do... How do you use the side burner? About time I get to use it :clap2:

TY for the heads up on the lump. I was under the impression that lump was a superior product to use.

When I use the side burner, I fill my chimney, remove the side burner grate, sit chimney on lit burner until coals are ready. Usually 15-20 min.

Lump burns hotter and faster, I usually use a mix of lump, briquets and hardwood chunks in my UDS.

For gloves I just use a pair of heavy leather work gloves, works for most tasks, but will get hot if you hold a hot rack too long :)

okie0831 06-04-2011 03:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thirsty4Q (Post 1664346)
try yellowpaging a welding supply store to see what is close by to you. I was going to my local place to buy CO2 tanks, and saw a pair I bout for $8, and they are big gauntlet style with suede exterior. Quite comfy too!

Try Harbor Freight for the gloves.. the one in OKC has all kinds of welding supplies.