The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/index.php)
-   Q-talk (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   So, Why Do I Need a Santuko? (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=148942)

HeSmellsLikeSmoke 12-04-2012 01:00 PM

So, Why Do I Need a Santuko?

I want one, but will I actually use one enough to justify buying it? My understanding is that Santuko literally means "three virtues" in that it evolved as a combination of classic Japanese knife shapes so is a all-purpose knife.

As a general rule, my experience with multil-purpose anythings is that they make compromises to the originals so it is usually better to have the originals.

My primary chopping knives, which I am very happy with by the way, are an old 8" J.A. Henckels Pro S Chef and a Dexter 8" Chinese Cleaver. I also have an old, stamped Chicago Cutlery 8" Chef which I use a surprising amount since I got my EdgePro Apex sharpener and put a good a very good edge on it.

deguerre 12-04-2012 01:18 PM

I love mine. It's not an expensive one either but I find myself reaching for it more often than my chef's knife.

Titch 12-04-2012 01:42 PM

Do the scollaps in the knives actually stop Vegetables from sticking.
I have been pondering if I need one myself.
Cheers.
Titch

deguerre 12-04-2012 01:46 PM

Still get some sticking. For me though it's the way the knife fits and the angle of the blade. I love it for slicing tomatoes and onions especially and can easily get a 1/16" thin slice. I also prefer it for chopping leafy fresh herbs too.

dick28540 12-04-2012 01:58 PM

knife info

i bought a 5-6" knife at walmart and i love it very sharp..
re: sharpener i also got a "LANSKY UNIVERSAL" SHARPENER
easy to use and fun,, works very well.

HeSmellsLikeSmoke 12-04-2012 02:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by deguerre (Post 2288380)
I love mine. It's not an expensive one either but I find myself reaching for it more often than my chef's knife.

Which one do you have? I am seriously considering a $31 Victorinox 7" fibrox
granton Santoku as a trial run. I like my Victorinox 12" granton slicer.

Untraceable 12-04-2012 02:03 PM

I swear by mine. I only use my chefs knife if my Santuko is dirty or Im cutting through chicken wings

deguerre 12-04-2012 02:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HeSmellsLikeSmoke (Post 2288431)
Which one do you have? I am seriously considering a $31 Victorinox 7" fibrox
granton Santoku as a trial run. I like my Victorinox 12" granton slicer.

It's a Cuisinart I got at Bed Bath and Beyond.

http://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/prod...92&KSKU=116896&

It was a steal, and apparently still is. Bought it on a whim. 20 bucks.

On edit - posted the link for the 5" - got the 7" - fixed the link.

Gnaws on Pigs 12-04-2012 02:41 PM

Since I bought one, I hardly ever pick up another knife in the kitchen.

chicagokp 12-04-2012 02:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by deguerre (Post 2288410)
Still get some sticking. For me though it's the way the knife fits and the angle of the blade. I love it for slicing tomatoes and onions especially and can easily get a 1/16" thin slice. I also prefer it for chopping leafy fresh herbs too.

+1. I use mine all the time. More than my chef. It's a henkels and wasn't very expensive. The bevel angle on the blade makes it easy to work with. I do stay away from most proteins with it.

Shooter1 12-04-2012 03:13 PM

I wasn't sure I needed one but I wanted one. The wife bought me a Wusthof about 3 or 4 years ago and I use it way more than I ever thought I would. Feels great in the hand, well balanced.

Pigs on Fire 12-04-2012 03:15 PM

You don't.

An 8" Victorinox Chef's knife for $27 at Amazon will do whatever you want. Including stay sharp as a razor.

Smoking Westy 12-04-2012 03:29 PM

I've been thinking about getting another Santoku for myself. We have a Henckels Four Star II Santoku that my wife absolutely loves and is probably the most used knife by her.

Knives are a true weakness of mine in addition to smoked meat (they do go well together) and my favorite company just realeased to new run of their Santoku -
http://www.dlttrading.com/bark-river-santoku-s35vn.html. I've been looking for a reason to cave. :biggrin1:

They are not cheap however, but I can say that after the first use, you soon forgot about the price!

ManakooraMan 12-04-2012 04:21 PM

I wanted to like using one, but its mostly good for chopping vegetables. It's too small for slice meat and too thin for hacking. If you want a Japanese knife type would suggest getting a deba. Deba is the infinite-toku.

Dr_KY 12-04-2012 04:31 PM

I'm not sold on the idea completely yet. Recently I've been revisiting my 26 cm chef knife in general duty and gave two carving knives a run at thanksgiving.