Suggestions on buying a paella pan

Really depends upon how many people you will be feeding. I know John (R2Egg2Q) & Marty (martyleach) do quite a bit of paella, perhaps they will chime in.

We use the Spanish table out of Seattle for our Wood Fired Oven Terra Cotta dishes and I know they have the Paella pans in a variety of sizes. Here is their website www.spanishtable.com. This past Christmas my wife bought me a paella pan form here www.fgpizza.com . Either place has great people to work with.
I am just looking forward to trying a few recipes I have found.

I have made paella many times.
I have always used a 16" fry pan by Vollrath, similar to this one with great success.

Like this one: http://www.restaurantsupplypro.com/product/carlisle-60914rs/fry-pans

For heat I used my turkey fryer burner as most residential stove tops will not have the btu's necessary to heat the pan evenly...
This is a very versatile pan, it also works great for chicken and fish fry(s), or whenever you need a big batch of anything (awesome for sausage gravy if your into that)...

I just recently got one of these as a gift and think it will work excellent for paella, can't wait to try it... Either way a VERY versatile tool.

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Lodge-L17SK3-Pre-Seasoned-Skillet-17-inch/dp/B00063RWVG/ref=sr_1_22?s=kitchen&ie=UTF8&qid=1363186738&sr=1-22"]Amazon.com: Lodge Logic L17SK3 Pre-Seasoned Cast Iron Skillet, 17-inch: Kitchen & Dining[/ame]

I am not saying that a traditional paella pan is not the best tool for it's specific task, I always look for the best value and multi-function...

Just my $.02:wink:

But again, if you're looking for advice on size, you may want to state how many you will be feeding. It's not uncommon to have multiple sizes, that way you can cook the qty needed at any time.

The link to the store in your OP is a good one too, I've been there before.

I bought mine at Sur La Table. I've only used it once. They sell the Bomba rice too.

But again, if you're looking for advice on size, you may want to state how many you will be feeding. It's not uncommon to have multiple sizes, that way you can cook the qty needed at any time.

The link to the store in your OP is a good one too, I've been there before.

It will vary. Family of 4 but at times up to 8 or 10 I guess.

This is what we use. I think it's 48"...

WP_000482_zps5e89f60c.jpg

If your cooker can fit the 18" I'd say go with it! For the amount of work & time to cook a paella, I figure I want as much as I can cook even though I'm typically only cooking for two. I had a 13.5" pan that I gave to my bro-in-law because it didn't hold enough for me. I have an 18" SS pan from paellapans.com that I'm not all that crazy about (it warped a bit on me on my last cook & personally I find it a pain keeping it shiny. I'm planning on buying a pata negra pan soon. I was drooling over them over at the hotpaella retail store. They're seriously heavy duty. I might be able to fit a 20" pan on my cooker.

Tienda.com is another site to check out. Seems like a few of the vendors sell the same brands of pans (Garcima or Paderno) so it is worth doing some price comparisons. The same vendors also appear to sell on amazon.com.

Make sure you measure the cook area and the pan for sale.
Don't ask me how I know this:doh:

Campground Paella

The guys and I do a 4 day camping trip in the Adirondacks every year. This year one decided to make Paelle on the Weber. Check out the video from last year. It starts at the 1:45 mark

[ame]http://youtu.be/QvNIwz2OjPk[/ame]

sausage, scallops, shrimp, grouper, chicken, clams, mussels, home made sofrito

check out the other meals and the shrimp the size of your hand!

all this food is for just 6 people and we do eat well. I also brew about 10 gallons of beer to go along with the many cases of store bought stuff we bring

I picked up a huge one from home goods yesterday for 14.99

Back