BBQ Contests

Sawdustguy said:
Any idea why Bob. Is it the lack of teams?

Oh, heck no!:biggrin:

Probably local politics...I've heard there's been a lot of infighting over the last few years.

The Pig Jig is HUGE. Everyone and their cousins cook pork in that region. The cookoff is just part of a regional celebration with lots of activities going on in the surrounding area.

Here's the 2005 website http://www.bigpigjig.com/ . I can't find the 2006 stuff but since the contest isn't until October they probably just haven't put up the information, yet.

Since it is a MIM event it has some really heavy hitters in the world of pork bbq. Whole hog, shoulder, and ribs...as far as the eye can see!!

drbbq said:
Where did you hear that?

That would be a terrible rumor to spread if it wasn't true.

The power, and the danger, of the Internet.

TIM

Big Pig Jig is in jeapordy

I reposted here, as opposed to the other posting with BBQ contest links..
If ya have interest, get invovlved:cry:

This letter was sent to Kell Phelps, National Barbecue News, from a gentleman in Columbus, Ga...

Dear kell

I thought you and your readers might want to know that the great powers of columbus have decided NOT to hold the PIG JIG this comming year of 2006.I talked to Francis Quick the person in charge and she told me it was not set in stone.this is where your readers come in if every one calls her and or her boss we might be able to change there minds. here is there info Executive Director Susan Lawhorne (706)322-0756 and riverfest Director Francis Quick (706)323-7979 and the email is hcfinc@historiccolumbus.com. I know we can change this around with a little effort.

THANKS
JERRY GOWEN
COLUMBUS GA

Kapn... it just might not be a single thread ....it is a posting in regard to a BBQ contest that is in jeapordy..

Originally Posted by drbbq
Where did you hear that?

http://www.barbecuenews.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=3470

This a a letter to Kell Phelps, who you know ,Ray, call em to verify.. if you wish

Fine, you don't know me , but be rest assured, I am not one to spread vicious, non verifiable rumours:wink:

Bobberqeer said:
Kapn... it just not might be a single thread it is a posting in regard to a BBQ that is in jeapordy..

Originally Posted by drbbq
Where did you hear that?

This a a letter to Kell Phelps, who you purportedly know ,Ray call em to verify

Fine you don't know me , but be rest assured, I am not one to spread vicious, non verifiable rumours

The "topic" was introduced in your initial post:

"I'm hearing rumblings that #6, The Big Pig Jig ,is in jeapordy this year"

It all fits just fine in one thread.

TIM

drbbq said:
I'm sure you didn't mean to spread an untrue rumor, but it happened. The Pig Jig in Columbus, Georgia and the Big Pig Jig in Vienna, Georgia are two different events.

http://www.historiccolumbus.com/RiverFest/PigJig/PigJig.htm

http://www.bigpigjig.com/

Thank you Ray.
I must admit I was drawn into this discussion because I was not paying total attention.
I had heard the rumors about the Columbus GA event last fall--I just never put the two similar names together.
I was uncomfortable with the whole thread--just could not pin it down!
Now I know why.

Thanks for the clarification!

Lesson learned I hope.
icon_biggrin.gif

TIM

I just know that the Big Pig Jig is a big event for Vienna and they raise lots of money so I don't see it ending.

Hell, they own the facility with all the structures the teams have built over the years.

On topic with the original post, I wonder how much research the writer did for the article. I definitely can't agree with his top ten. I looked for a way to contact him to ask, but couldn't find a direct contact. Not only do I feel the order is wrong, I think I'd replace some of the choices with different events/contests.

kcpellethead said:
On topic with the original post, I wonder how much research the writer did for the article. I definitely can't agree with his top ten. I looked for a way to contact him to ask, but couldn't find a direct contact. Not only do I feel the order is wrong, I think I'd replace some of the choices with different events/contests.

I was thinking the same thing but with less experience to base it on I guess, Rod. After having experienced the Royal, maybe the Invitational is worth a number two ranking but certainly not the Open! It's a party and a poor place to test how you compare to other cooks, plain and simple. I believe that you could ask writers and ask competitors and get a whole different set of contests for the most part. I bet there's some smaller, lesser known events that would rank right up there in the competitors' opinions.

I agree Jeff. Mike Davis will argue with me for an hour on this topic, and for good reason, but the AR Open is a crap shoot, plain and simple. You should never put much stock in your cooking whether you do well or poorly at that event, and I've done both.

Go Patriots!

Back