The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/index.php)
-   Competition BBQ (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   Burnt Ends: Chewy or Melt in Your Mouth??? (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=104777)

Q-Dat 04-19-2011 12:56 AM

Burnt Ends: Chewy or Melt in Your Mouth???

Just curious to see what the perception is of what most judges like when it comes to burnt ends.

At this point I am confident that I can give them anything they want, now I just have to figure out what they want.

boogiesnap 04-19-2011 01:08 AM

boy, if somebody could answer that question with each category...

Q-Dat 04-19-2011 01:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by boogiesnap (Post 1614811)
boy, if somebody could answer that question with each category...

We'll get it Brother.

roksmith 04-19-2011 06:38 AM

From my perspective, they should be melt in your mouth, but not because they are a big glob of fat.

Q-Dat 04-19-2011 09:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by roksmith (Post 1614870)
From my perspective, they should be melt in your mouth, but not because they are a big glob of fat.

Well thats what I am turning in. They are not fatty but very very tender.

ModelMaker 04-19-2011 11:10 AM

Tender an tasty make my day.
Be very mindfull of a big gob o fat, big turn off.
Ed

Rub 04-19-2011 01:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ModelMaker (Post 1615114)
Tender an tasty make my day.
Be very mindfull of a big gob o fat, big turn off.
Ed

Do like I do, bite into each one before putting it into the box to make sure it's not full of fat.

JD McGee 04-19-2011 02:19 PM

Burn't ends are treated as garnish up here in the left out corner of the nation. That said...I make sure when I turn them in "as garnish" they are melt-in-your-mouth awesome!

Ken V 04-19-2011 02:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rub (Post 1615284)
Do like I do, bite into each one before putting it into the box to make sure it's not full of fat.

I seen him do it in Shannon last year!!!

Ken

BurntFinger_Jason 04-19-2011 07:45 PM

When I took a judging class I asked Mike Lake specifically for the ideal texture of burnt ends, and he said it doesn't matter because the judges will only be judging you on the sliced brisket. I'm sure not every judge goes by this, but he said they are only included in the box as a bonus for the judges and should be treated as garnish.

Rub 04-19-2011 08:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BurntFinger_Jason (Post 1615624)
When I took a judging class I asked Mike Lake specifically for the ideal texture of burnt ends, and he said it doesn't matter because the judges will only be judging you on the sliced brisket. I'm sure not every judge goes by this, but he said they are only included in the box as a bonus for the judges and should be treated as garnish.

I find that pretty disturbing. :mad2:

ModelMaker 04-19-2011 08:08 PM

Mike taught us, if it's in the box it gets judged.
Ed

smokeyw 04-19-2011 08:59 PM

Are we talking KCBS? I definitely was not told that in the judging class I attended :crazy:

Quote:

Q-Dat 04-19-2011 10:09 PM

Quote:

I believe you, but that just doesn't make much sense to me. To some people(including this guy) the burnt ends are the preferred part over the slices. If that is the process being used then they need to just make it a rule of sliced brisket only.

JD McGee 04-19-2011 10:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Q-Dat (Post 1615760)
I believe you, but that just doesn't make much sense to me. To some people(including this guy) the burnt ends are the preferred part over the slices. If that is the process being used then they need to just make it a rule of sliced brisket only.

That'll work...more ends for me! :becky: