The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/index.php)
-   Q-talk (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Mmmmmm Rubber (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=165609)

Uncle JJ 07-11-2013 09:56 AM

Mmmmmm Rubber

Who doesn't enjoy a big bite of rubbery pork? That's what I said to the people at my house on Sunday, when I made the most disgusting pork loin (not tenderloin) ever.

I injected the thing with AJ, salt, and rub. Put it on the smoker at 250* for about 2hrs. Finished it with a sauce from Chris Lilly (Apple Bourbon Sauce). Made sense to me.

The sauce was nasty (I followed the recipe exactly). The pork had good color, ring, and juice. But it tasted like rubber. Anybody want to try it? I still have half of it in the fridge.

I'm wondering if I shouldn't inject a pork loin. I've never injected one before.

aawa 07-11-2013 10:05 AM

I prefer brining a pork loin over injecting. Also what internal temperature are you taking the pork loin too? I take my pork loins off the smoker at about 140. This will keep the meat moist and tender still.

deguerre 07-11-2013 10:10 AM

Was it a Kroger "Moist and Tender" loin?

Uncle JJ 07-11-2013 10:33 AM

I think I took it of at 155*.

I did buy the thing at Kroger - not sure if it was the "Moist & Tender."

aawa 07-11-2013 10:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncle JJ (Post 2547591)

Kroger pork loins here are always in an enhances solution for a "moist and tender" feel. I always stay away from their enchanced meats (unless they are a ridiculously good price) as I have found the texture of their meats seem to be different than fresh/natural/non-enhances meats.

deguerre 07-11-2013 10:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncle JJ (Post 2547591)

Ah. Almost all pork at my local Kroger is their Moist and Tender brand (Even the packs of two to four chops, for example). They're already ~12% "solution" by weight, which pretty much makes them brined already. Could have been your problem if it wasn't overcooked, which it also could be at 155 IT, but not by much.

grantw 07-11-2013 10:59 AM

Ive missed the 140 temp a few times and never been to unpleased. I would say it was the pork itself

Uncle JJ 07-11-2013 11:06 AM

Thanks, fellas, makes me feel better about myself! I was mad as a hornet when I tasted that meat. I'll fashion what's left of it into a lacrosse ball for my kid.

deguerre 07-11-2013 11:10 AM

Yep. Avoid the Moist and Tender, unless that's what you want...:roll:
Find another place to buy pork, too! I had to.

Bludawg 07-11-2013 11:55 AM

Big time BBQ EXPERT pitmasters make money from books:shock: you really think they are going to tell you the truth:tsk:

roksmith 07-11-2013 12:02 PM

Nothing wrong with using enhanced meat. You just have to know it and cook accordingly.. remove all salt from your preparation.

deguerre 07-11-2013 12:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by roksmith (Post 2547700)
Nothing wrong with using enhanced meat. You just have to know it and cook accordingly.. remove all salt from your preparation.

This is true, but most people are unaware when they are buying it. "Moist and Tender" seems innocent enough, and the disclosure is there, just in very fine print. Unfortunately at the local Krogers, it's either that brand, or a ridiculously priced (Organic? Premium? Green?) brand which I've had to return a couple times for smelling REALLY bad right out of the package and quit trying because of that.

slow-smoker 07-11-2013 01:37 PM

If I only had Kroger for buying meat, I'd have to out and kill something myself.

Uncle JJ 07-11-2013 01:44 PM

I can buy at Costco, but other than that, I've amazingly found no good butchers in the Atlanta area.

deguerre 07-11-2013 01:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by slow-smoker (Post 2547820)
If I only had Kroger for buying meat, I'd have to out and kill something myself.

Actually, in Memphis at least, the beef is usually pretty good.