The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/index.php)
-   Q-talk (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Shoud I get the EGG? Quickly Please! (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=165470)

Smokeat 07-09-2013 03:01 PM

Shoud I get the EGG? Quickly Please!

Costco is blowing out remaining inventory of Vision Kamado cooker @ $400. I know this is a great deal, and I do not have a ceramic grill, but should I add one of these to my alarmingly growing grill collection?

I know many of you have a diverse collection of outdoor cooking appliances, and I know eggheads love them, but does it really offer a different experience, say from kettle grills. I do understand their attributes such as holding temps and charcoal conservation, but will it add something I am overlooking?

I usually buy first, then question myself afterwards, and my wife even gave the green light(Bestest wife ever!), but I really could use some reassurance before I drop another sizable(for me) chunk of change. Thanks to all who can quickly reply, as I know word is getting out about the price drop and there are only a few left in inventory.

SmokerKing 07-09-2013 03:01 PM

yes, size?

jasonjax 07-09-2013 03:07 PM

Super high heat cooking if you so desire for searing steaks even better than a kettle imho, plus being able to cook pizzas, plus being able to cook low n' slow for hours on end without adding fuel ... if you have considered one in the past I would pull the trigger. If you are doing it purely for a good deal I would not. My $.02.

Smokeat 07-09-2013 03:07 PM

The Classic?
Features:
596 sq. in. Cooking Area, 2-Tier 304 SS Flip Cooking Grates, Heavy Duty Vinyl Cover

Replying to SmokerKing, sorry I didn't quote

Smokeat 07-09-2013 03:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jasonjax (Post 2545176)
Super high heat cooking if you so desire for searing steaks even better than a kettle imho, plus being able to cook pizzas, plus being able to cook low n' slow for hours on end without adding fuel ... if you have considered one in the past I would pull the trigger. If you are doing it purely for a good deal I would not. My $.02.

Thanks, I must admit that the deal is what has got the buzz going right now. It seems to be a really good price, plus the Costco return policy if there is a problem. I may buy then research more without opening the box. I have seen eggs in action at comps and have never really been bitten. Although I always am on the lookout for a WSM also, and I already have a large offset.

DownHomeQue 07-09-2013 03:18 PM

yes yes yea yea yes yes howl yes................ by the way did i say YES! :razz:

ButtBurner 07-09-2013 03:19 PM

if all you are going to gain is higher heat then just put bricks under the cooking grate to get them closer to the food

as far as cooking pizza, you can get one of those pizza adapters that go on the kettle. I cook pizza on mine without anything, comes out fine. I am not really big into that though

for $400 I would not get it

Big George's BBQ 07-09-2013 03:21 PM

I can cook <150 degrees and > 700 degrees on my Large BGE Absolutely love it

Tsevg9 07-09-2013 03:33 PM

Ehh, I am in your same boat. I saw the deal at my local CostCo. I am perfectly fine with my kettle and UDS.

legendaryhog 07-09-2013 03:41 PM

Do it, and get one of the electric temp controllers. You will cook on it tons. I wasn't huge on my BGE until I got the temp controller. Now I hardly ever use my backyard offset.

Also, if you don't end up liking it, you can get some bucks back listing it on craigslist.

thaifighter06 07-09-2013 03:52 PM

YES. Absolutely.

Ron_L 07-09-2013 03:57 PM

Sure... Get an Egg. But you're asking about a Vision Kamado...

:-P

stl-rich 07-09-2013 03:58 PM

I'd get one but I got an Akorn for under $220

ssv3 07-09-2013 04:17 PM

I guarantee you won't be disappointed and especially at that price. Ceramic grills are in a league of their own IMHO.

cayenne 07-09-2013 04:26 PM

Real?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ron_L (Post 2545250)
Sure... Get an Egg. But you're asking about a Vision Kamado...

:-P

Yeah, I was wondering about that too...so, it is not a 'true' Green Egg?

C