The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/index.php)
-   Q-talk (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Coolers (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=10087)

Aebs 12-08-2004 04:05 PM

Coolers

Hey Gang, I'd like some input from y'all on coolers. Do you have a favorite type? Styrofoam or plastic? How big a cooler do you use, other than big enough. Do you try to fill the cooler full, or do you have a larger cooler with plenty of dead air in it? Does it matter?

Thanks in advance.

BBQchef33 12-08-2004 05:38 PM

guess any size will work, but the smaller the better to hold the meat in it because ya need to fill dead air with dry towles or newspapers. I've heard some people even use styrofoam peanuts. Using one of thos e150quart coolers on a brisket is a little overkill.

I used a medium and a large igloo cooler . the medium will hold 2 briskets. The large you can get in 3 and a butt.

chad 12-08-2004 06:03 PM

I agree with Phil - it depends on how much meat you are needing to keep hot.

For competition Tim and I use a 50 quart - one of the new 5-day ice models. We also have a couple of larger coolers if needed - one 70 and one 105 quart - the 70 usually carries the raw meat and the 105 carries spare ice. We have a couple of small "personal" size coolers for breakfast food, the lettuce, coffe cream, etc.

So, the answer is: the smallest you can get all your normal cooked food in - get a good one from Igloo or Coleman -- they solid styro ones are ok but hard to keep clean. WalMart has some nice small to medium sized cooler for around $18.00 or so.

Heath 12-08-2004 07:08 PM

And a really cool thing to do. If your having a party, put the meat in the cooler and then store it near where everyone is. When it's time to eat, open the cooler before you remove it from the area everyone is at so they can smell whats coming. By the time you cut/pull/shred and get ready to serve it you will have people standing in puddles of drool.

I did it this last summer with a couple pork butts and left the cooler and newspaper open on the back deck. I had people yelling at me to hurry up and they were coming in and stealing it as I was pulling it. After we killed of the pulled pork people were coming up and taking a hit off the cooler.

Bill-Chicago 12-08-2004 08:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BBQchef33
guess any size will work, but the smaller the better to hold the meat in it because ya need to fill dead air with dry towles or newspapers. I've heard some people even use styrofoam peanuts. Using one of thos e150quart coolers on a brisket is a little overkill.

I used a medium and a large igloo cooler . the medium will hold 2 briskets. The large you can get in 3 and a butt.

Don't listen to Phil

okay, listen but take this caveat.

I agree dead air is bad, but you want a large Igloo

Santa is bringing me a bigger cooler.

I have a normal Igloo Playmate that will forever smell like butts and brisket. But you just cant fit full slabs in there.

So Santa is bringing me a bigger cooler.

$80 from Cabelas. I saw the confirmation email :twisted:

hornbri 12-08-2004 08:35 PM

Quote:

$80 from Cabelas. I saw the confirmation email
shhhhhh dont spoil the surprise

Bill-Chicago 12-08-2004 08:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hornbri
Quote:

I'm drunk, so I didnt see anything

hornbri 12-08-2004 08:49 PM

Quote:

I'm drunk, so I didnt see anything
Whewww that was close

Aebs 12-08-2004 09:42 PM

So dead air is to be avoided. That's what I figured. It takes longer then for the meat to cool down and it can continue cooking. The solid plastic coolers would also be easier to clean, an obvious and important point that I had forgotten. Thanks for the tip.

parrothead 12-08-2004 10:48 PM

Coleman extreme is the cooler to have. 5 day ice keeper.

Bellybro 12-09-2004 11:09 AM

Quote:

Coleman extreme is the cooler to have. 5 day ice keeper.
I have one of these and they are awesome!!!

cheez 12-09-2004 11:54 AM

Guys on the fishing boards I read say Icey-Tek coolers are the best for keeping ice (or in our case, heat). I even read one review where a guy said he filled one with ice and kept it inside, in a 75-degree room. Said the ice was 2/3 gone after 10 days, but the temp inside was still the same. I still haven't convinced myself to spend $200 on a 95-quart cooler though................

Bill-Chicago 12-09-2004 08:52 PM

Cheez likes frozen fish

pass it on

Samichlaus 12-09-2004 09:40 PM

Those Colemans are really nice. I would guess the best value. The Icey-Tek coolers are great but big buck$! They are very popular with fishermen. I remeber when I saw a 70 quart at Anglers Center for $180!

Solidkick 12-10-2004 12:13 AM

I think the trick is to wrap in 2 towels, holds the heat in before you get to the dead air...........