• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Cedar Planked Burgers with Vidalia Onions and Gouda

JMSetzler

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zXGqrzxebVM"]Cedar Plank Roasted Burgers - YouTube[/ame]

After watching several other folks around here do something similar to this, I had to give it a try myself... they were quite tasty!

Looks delicious JM. Your cooker is quite the versatile machine! Glad you did this on the cedar planks, as I am thinking about doing some Salmon on the UDS soon. I Judged an event in Acworth Ga. this last weekend and one of the "Anything Butt" entry's were salmon cooked on Cedar. It was Delish and Bang-O-Rang as the wife calls it.:clap:

I cooked these to 165° internal, which is more than I like but the minimum my GF will eat. They were very evenly cooked. I thought about putting some bacon on and decided to save that for another cook... I wanted to do the onion slabs and gouda cheese. My mind doesn't think gouda would be the best combination with bacon... not that it wouldn't be good...

JM, gouda is fantastic with bacon! Give it a try next time. I think you'll like it! :thumb:

Everything is better with Bacon. Great idea for a burger cooking.

That looks great! Just curious, what was the benefit of using the cedar planks? Looks like maybe there was less shrinkage than you would normally get? Any issues with flare-ups and the wood?

My grill was somewhere between 400-450 degrees which was my cautious approach to plank grilling. I did not know where I would have to worry about flareups, so my next cook will be 500ish.

This is the first time I have cooked burgers over indirect heat and they did not appear to ball up like the might normally over scorching hot coals. They were tender and juicy, even though I cooked them to a well-done level. I'll be cooking mine a little less next time though...

Back