The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/index.php)
-   Q-talk (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Superbowl menu question (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=152049)

Stingerhook 01-21-2013 06:04 PM

Superbowl menu question

Every year I do a themed party with foods from the two teams cities. Looking for ideas to be added to the menu.
Any help would be appreciated.

chingador 01-21-2013 06:10 PM

Baltimore? Crab cakes. Pit beef. Or heroin

San Francisco? Tofu. Or something a little light in the loafers?

JohnHB 01-21-2013 06:12 PM

Otak Otak & a bucket of beer.
John

chriscw81 01-21-2013 06:15 PM

Make some rice-a-roni, it's the San Francisco treat :mrgreen:

Kidding, when I think of San Francisco, I think of sour dough bread bowls down by the fisherman's wharf. At least that's what I did....

Sent from my Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Bluesman 01-21-2013 06:32 PM

Do Mardi Gras the SB is in Na Lanes

Carbon 01-21-2013 06:33 PM

When I think of SF I think of Chinatown.

landarc 01-21-2013 06:39 PM

Foods I associate with SF:
Cioppino
Dungeness Crab
Sourdough bread
Salmon
Chinese food

BobM 01-21-2013 07:11 PM

I'm going to my BIL's house for the Super Bowl. He is getting a 6 foot hero (no BBQ). :sad:
It's better this was, I'll be too farked up to cook anyway. :grin:

JohnHB 01-21-2013 07:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JohnHB (Post 2336910)
Otak Otak & a bucket of beer.
John

We make the Otak Otak every Christmas as one of the starters. We get the kids to do the wrapping & BBQing. It is the most popular dish (even though I serve turkey, hot smoked salmon, gravlax etc). My recipe is below (sorry it is in metric):
Southeast Asian Otak Otak
(Smaller quantity)
(Singapore, Indonesia and Malaysia)

375g white fish
375g peeled green prawns
250ml thick coconut cream
2 small red onions
4 cloves garlic
25ml fish sauce
12g shrimp paste
12g palm sugar
12g ground coriander seeds
8 g turmeric powder
20 candlenuts (or macadamia nuts), freshly roasted and pulverised
fresh red chilli to taste
galangal (thai ginger)
lemongrass
lime peel
Pieces of fresh banana leaf about 12cm by 25cm (soaked in hot water or place on hot BBQ to soften)

Take all the ingredients and mix in a blender, or pound to a paste in a mortar and pestle. Spread a good tablespoonful of the paste lengthwise in the centre one-third of a piece of banana leaf, leaving a space all around. Fold the sides over. Encase this again in another leaf folded similarly (a singly-wrapped one will burn and insides will stick to the outsides). Staple the ends or attach with toothpicks. Barbeque over coals for about ten minutes. The outside layer can blacken in parts, it only adds to flavour and presentation.

Substitutions: This can be made with fish or with crab (all quite authentic), and if you have some form of Thai curry paste (red may be best. You can also add an egg if you think that the mixture is not thick enough.

John

Mason Dixon Bowhunta 01-21-2013 07:33 PM

Definitely crabcakes and a few Natty Bohs for Balmer Hon

caseydog 01-21-2013 07:58 PM

Even though they will tie my Steelers with six Super Bowl wins, I have nothing against the 49ers, and couldn't cheer for the Ratbirds with a gun pointed at my head, so just make something really good for SanFran. Maybe a SanFran Cioppino. You should be able to get some fresh seafood in Florida now, even if it isn't 100-percent authentic. Cioppino is good eats.

For Baltimore, boil some pigeons, AKA: Ratbirds. Boil them in used bath water, feathers and all, and toss them in the gutter, where they belong. :heh:

CD

Chezmatt 01-21-2013 08:13 PM

San Francisco has a wide range of food options for a Super Bowl party. Probably the best known, as mentioned above, would involve crab and sourdough. Crab melts on sliced sourdough are a standard dish. Or crab cioppino with crusty sourdough for dipping. You could also go more ethnic with Mission-style burritos, or Vietnamese banh mi from Little Saigon (in the Tenderloin). We've also got a huge Italian population, so you could go with deli sandwiches (again on sourdough) using any of the many Italian cold-cuts made here (Molinari, Gallo, and Colombus are three traditional local companies for salami, sausage, etc). There's also a million and one Chinese dishes you can make. (I think it was Landarc who put up a char sui recipe this summer that was great.)
If you're more BBQ focused, you can stick with the California staple of tri-tip. Serve it on sourdough bread, and you're in business.
I think you're gonna want to have some SF dishes on your menu, because the Niners are going to CRUSH the Ravens.
GO NINERS!

martyleach 01-21-2013 08:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by caseydog (Post 2337085)
Even though they will tie my Steelers with six Super Bowl wins, I have nothing against the 49ers, and couldn't cheer for the Ratbirds with a gun pointed at my head, so just make something really good for SanFran. Maybe a SanFran Cioppino. You should be able to get some fresh seafood in Florida now, even if it isn't 100-percent authentic. Cioppino is good eats.

For Baltimore, boil some pigeons, AKA: Ratbirds. Boil them in used bath water, feathers and all, and toss them in the gutter, where they belong. :heh:

CD

You beat me to it. Let's face it, they aren't Raven's for gosh sake. They are just noisy irritating crows. I could shoot a couple here and send them out to you.

I really think sourdough and clam chowder kinda fits the area although cioppino is my favorite thing in the world (guess I have quite a few of those...)

Have fun!

bbqbull 01-21-2013 08:27 PM

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...ad.php?t=18055

cholloway 01-21-2013 08:27 PM

Steamed crabs and granola bars.