Meat Kabobs

pat

is One Chatty Farker
Reaction score
Catering a graduation party for my niece. She has requested pork and beef kabobs along with wings. The party will have about 200 guests.

Have the wings under control, but my initial thoughts are to make 300 kabobs...cubing up butts and brisket points. Then I begin to second guess myself...worried about things drying out. Not sure how to hold and keep moist.

Any suggestions or experience on how to do this? Any other ideas for meat kabobs? Don't think I want to use steak or pork loin.

Thanks for any thoughts or suggestions!

butts and briskets are a definite no no for kabobs, it will be like eating shoe leather. Use a pork tenderloin or loin, for the beef use at the minimum sirloin, I would use tenderloin of beef also. There is no good way to keep these hot long, best way to god is cook and serve. Or partially cook on the grill and finish in a real hot oven on site.

• Thanks
Reactions: pat
Questions.

Are these Kabobs just meat, or meat alternated with veggies and stuff?

If they are just meat, then cooked and cubed brisket or butts could be precooked to "tender", skewered, and then grilled to char on site.

If they are wanting veggies on the skewer also, the same would apply but some sort of marinating would probably be needed for the veggies.

In total, 300 kabobs is a huge and labor intensive project and would probably need a high capacity grill to finish on site.

Can you "point them" to just burnt ends of brisket and the pork variation with sides?

All I can say is "good luck".

Let us know how it goes.

TIM

• Thanks
300 kabobs is a pain in the....

Definitely doable but yes very labor intensive. My niece is set on the kabobs...tried to persuade her otherwise :mmph: Both of u make a good point about a grill and I have access to that. Now trying to convince my bro to let me cook onsite will be the tough part. Will make things much easier I imagine.

Might be leaning toward the filet and pork loin idea. Tim...no veggies just meat. Thanks guys.

Anybody else have any insight on kabobs? Please?

How much do you love your niece? JK, do you need help? I can get what you need from Sysco.

• Thanks
Thanks for the offer to help Bryan. I have a Sysco account so I should be good.

Hard part is figuring out how much meat to order for 200 kabobs?!?

I'm with The Kapn. 300 will need to be pre-cooked unless you have an small army with grills. The pre-cooking will also soften the meat especially needed for tougher cuts of meat. Will the 300 be served at the same time as in a sit down dinner or staggered in a buffet?

How much help will you be having? For serving size, for a sit down the average can be small because of less waste (dropping, over filling of the plate, etc.). 14 oz uncooked -- sit down, 16 oz buffet. Use make it about 2-3 sticks per person, don't make a stick too big.

Not that any interest existed for this thread, but I thought I would update for anyone down the road looking for help. Bought 50# of pork loin and 60# of beef sirloin. Took my wife and me approx 6-8 hours to prep 300 meat kabobs (only 1 person working at a time). Ended up using 2 commercial gas grills...an 8 burner and a 4 burner...grilled on site but staggered for the 2 hour buffet. Took pork loin kabobs to 140* and sirloin kabobs to 130* then held in chaffers. We didn't have any issues with meat drying out. Extremely happy customers and only 5 kabobs left at the end of the night!

Back