The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/index.php)
-   Catering, Vending and Cooking For The Masses. (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=62)
-   -   Rib Eye Steaks and Crab Legs for 60 (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=95493)

Bossmanbbq 11-14-2010 12:22 PM

Rib Eye Steaks and Crab Legs for 60

Have a question, I have a catering bid for King Crab Legs and Rib Eye Steaks for 60 People.
My first question is how much King Crabl Legs will I need and second what would you charge? I'll be doing this on site I'm figuring to purchase lip on prime rib and cutting it into steaks, figure this would be the cheapest way to do the rib eye steaks and just cut them into steaks, any suggestions or comments would be appreciated!

gtsum 11-14-2010 12:42 PM

woah...I will be interested to see the responses to this. The most I have done a surf and turf for was about 15 people and I just bought a side of Rib Eye and cut them myself - I think I got about 12-13 steaks from it (1 1/2 inch thick). I think I had about 8lbs of crab king crab legs - here in VA, fresh King's are going to be ridiculously pricey, so these came from Sam's.

Is this going to be a buffet style thing, or a sit down thing for you?

Bossmanbbq 11-14-2010 01:19 PM

Its going to be sit down, per plate. I'm looking at charging $20 per plate based on what im seeing price wise

Bossmanbbq 11-14-2010 01:20 PM

Im thinking 3-4 crab legs per person?? Does this seem about right???

landarc 11-14-2010 02:27 PM

Along with the steak? Seems excessive to me, if you are talking whole legs, I would think a maximum of two.

big brother smoke 11-14-2010 04:34 PM

I'd sure charge more than $20. You got to figure that even buying bulk you are going to pay 8.00 lb. for crab legs of the King Variety. You can probably get boneless ribeyes for $5.50 per lb. (Choice). So you are talking a leg (king) of let's just say 1/2 lb. $4, plus a sixteen ounce steak = $9.50 x 3 (too make profit) = $28.50 per. With side dishes, bread and incidentals increase $4.00.

Feel free to look at my website, It is priced out using the 33% rule.

My math dictates 33% food and supplies; 33% labor and 33% profit. Yes, it fluctuates north and south, but that is my target.

YMMV! :becky:

txschutte 11-14-2010 05:46 PM

Boss man, you are only about 175 miles up the road from me, and to tell the truth, I would get about $30 pp on this one. Heck I'm getting $20 on prime rib alone.

Bossmanbbq 11-15-2010 10:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by big brother smoke (Post 1457702)
I'd sure charge more than $20. You got to figure that even buying bulk you are going to pay 8.00 lb. for crab legs of the King Variety. You can probably get boneless ribeyes for $5.50 per lb. (Choice). So you are talking a leg (king) of let's just say 1/2 lb. $4, plus a sixteen ounce steak = $9.50 x 3 (too make profit) = $28.50 per. With side dishes, bread and incidentals increase $4.00.

Feel free to look at my website, It is priced out using the 33% rule.

My math dictates 33% food and supplies; 33% labor and 33% profit. Yes, it fluctuates north and south, but that is my target.

YMMV! :becky:

Thanks for all the responses on this. Based on prices I've checked on, Big Brother Smoke is right on, I'm going with the price of $28.50 per person thats with 2 king crab legs and rib eye steak. I also quoted $21.50 for just a prime rib dinner. See what they say, but from one of my distributors they said the price of seafood in general went up with the BP spill and has never come down!

landarc 11-15-2010 12:23 PM

Because King Crab are so affected by the BP oil spill in the gulf? :crazy:

JiveTurkey 11-15-2010 12:38 PM

Just another idea in case some people don't want to pick through the crab is to offer the steak "Oscar Style". That's a ribeye topped with crab meat and asparagus tips in a bernaise sauce. It's amazingly good. You could stretch the crab meat that way and people won't be complaining about having to work for their crab meat. Just an idea. I've done it, they'll think you're a rock star (I know I felt like one).

Bossmanbbq 11-15-2010 03:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JiveTurkey (Post 1458244)
Just another idea in case some people don't want to pick through the crab is to offer the steak "Oscar Style". That's a ribeye topped with crab meat and asparagus tips in a bernaise sauce. It's amazingly good. You could stretch the crab meat that way and people won't be complaining about having to work for their crab meat. Just an idea. I've done it, they'll think you're a rock star (I know I felt like one).

VERY NICE :thumb: I like it!!