Does mopping or spritzing really help?

Happy Hapgood

somebody shut me the fark up.

Batch Image
Reaction score
I don't think it does on Ribs, BB's or Brisket. If your wrapping in foil (Texas Crutch) I can see where adding moisture helps.

What say you Brethren?

I don't see the purpose in it. Tried it when I fiiiirst got into BBQ, and heard my neighbor at the time raving about it. I didn't notice any difference whatsoever between a mopped product, and an unmopped product. Just seems to take longer with the constantly opening up the pit.

It helps a lot when cooking over an open pit like they did back in the day. With enclosed smokers it just gives you something to do and extends the cook every time you open the lid.

It helps a lot when cooking over an open pit like they did back in the day. With enclosed smokers it just gives you something to do and extends the cook every time you open the lid.

Well that explains it. I've never cooked anything over an open pit beyond a short grill of whatever it may be.

People swear by the spritz...I'm too lazy, so I don't...I'm not sure if it helps or not...

This can't end well...:pop2:

NO! For the record if your foiling a brisket you don''t need to add any thing in the foil that beefer will make its own juices.

Last edited:
Sometimes you feel like a spritz,
Sometimes you don't.
Almond Joy has nuts,
Mounds don't... :wink:

I used to marinate and spritz ribs religiously. I don't anymore. I don't see the increase in quality with marinating and spritzing, so why go to the effort? Getting top quality ribs in the first place is the secret IMO.

I never saw a point in it. Honestly,I think beyond prolonging your cook because you keep opening the pit, I think the extra moisture probably cools the meat and prolongs the stall.

Mopping or spritzing dose nothing for me when smoking. When smoking the moisture in the meat is being drawn out of the meat. Adding moisture to the outside of the meat dose not penetrate the meat as moisture is being drawn out while cooking .

It makes the meat look good and shiny. I've never noticed a difference in taste.

^ +1 Very True Toast...

Spritzing Apple Juice gives a great sheen to pork butts and ribs for presentation purposes, but does nothing for flavor or the cooking process. Once the pork is pulled or the ribs are cut it's all gone...

I took a class from Slap Yo Daddy / Harry Soo who has won tons of BBQ Championships. He cooks his butts and briskets until the bark is set (can't scrape it off with your finger) then spritzes with water every 30 minutes until he likes the color. After that in his opinion, you are just drying out the meat unless you foil it. I get it., you get the smoke, you get the bark and the color. What is the point of continuing over a heat source that will dry out your meat? Foil it with some fluid with a lot of flavor (Stubb's Pork or similar) and cook till probe tender with a toothpick.

Here's an article where Myron actually talks about smoking ribs for a half hour, then spritz a half apple juice/half water mix every 15 minutes until they are done. :loco: He says it keeps them sweet, moist and beautiful mahogany. What he doesn't say is how long this will take. He then goes on to say that you shouldn't open the smoker beyond the 15 minute intervals since opening it just lowers the temp and extends your cook. :confused:

http://eatocracy.cnn.com/2013/06/26/55-rack-up-on-rib-pointers/?hpt=hp_c4

I have done both, and as others have said, I haven't noticed much of a difference. I am going to try with some other concoctions though as I like to experiment.

I don't see much difference except:
1) As already said cooking over an open fire/coals (for me usually chicken on my Santa Maria ranch grill w/ a butter, apple cider vinegar and red pepper flake mop); or,
2) When cooking whole hog I like to mop or spritz apple cider vinegar cut 50/50 with apple juice in the last hout or two to get te ACV taste. I just like the added taste, don't think it helps or hurts moisture of the final product.

Back