WSM dimensions

El_Capitan

Reaction score
I want to get a WSM 22.5 inch, but where I live after taxes, shipping and handling the price will be over $700. They only sell the WSM 18.5 here for $575. I live in Bermuda. I am trying to get a WSM 22.5 into the country for that price.

I will be home for a week in May and was thinking about flying one back to Bermuda. AA charges $200 for over 70 LBS and $200 for oversize. That would make the grill 900 to get here. I have to pay a 25% tax. $400 grill plus $100 tax is a $500 grill.

I noticed on Amazon the shipping weight is 76lbs. I though about taking a few pounds out and putting them in another bag, but it will only decrease the price from $200 to $100. (900 to 800)

So then I thought about breaking it down from 1 box into 2 boxes. This would decreased the weight to less than 50lbs in each box so it would eliminate the overweight charge or either $100 (50-70lbs) or $200 (70-100lbs). Although checking a second bag is $35 that is ok with me, a lot better than $200.

I was thinking about putting the Center ring in one box with some of the other parts like the grates, water pan, etc. Using as much as the packing material that it originally came in to prevent damage.

Then in the second box putting the lid and bowl together and maybe some of what didn't go into box 1.

I have looked on line, but I can not find the exact dimensions of the parts. VBB has the best schematics, but not exact dimensions. Exact dimensions are important because if the bag, or box in this case, is greater than 62 inches it will be considered over sized and billed at $200 per piece. Length + width + height.

I can order it from bbqisland.com for 703.97 which includes the grill, shipping and handling, and taxes. I am trying to avoid a $200 shipping fee.

So my question is. Can one of you kind WSM 22.5 owners please measure the center ring and let me know it's diameter and length I would be very thankful.

They are nice but they ain't worth all that.i will measure but it may take a while,mine is not on site.Sorry.Good luck.

I would recommend building a UDS(S) if you can find a source for barrels at that price point. A few barrels and a cheap MIG welder and you are in business.
Good luck,

I would recommend building a UDS(S) if you can find a source for barrels at that price point. A few barrels and a cheap MIG welder and you are in business.
Good luck,

Don't even need a welder for a UDS. Many of us have successfully built a nice UDS without doing any welding at all. I'm not sure what all supplies are available in Bermuda, but I bet you could do a fantastic UDS that would do just as good of a job as the WSM at a much cheaper price and less hassle.

Good luck whichever way you choose.

Honestly the extra $200 for shipping is worth it, there isn't way I would trust airports to move my brand new smoker and get it out of round or worse.

Weber does a good job packaging their products so I would be hesitant about taking the box apart and dividing into two boxes. I would also be worried about the box being poorly handled at the airport. Those guys throw luggage around with no respect. I would hate for you to go to this trouble and expense to get a damaged product.

Although I don't have a UDS that is the first place I would start if I were you.

Man that is ridiculous what you have to pay. I love my WSM but no way I'm paying that much for one. If it gets damaged during transport how hard is it going to be to get replacement parts? Weber has great customer service but are you going to end up having to pay anything to get them? I think I would definitely go UDS or PBS. Good Luck man!

Do you have a friend in Miami? If so, maybe they could help you with finding a cruise line (or passenger) that is stopping in Bermuda and willing to drop off the WSM. It may take a while to arrange but can't hurt to ask. Especially if you can save a few hundred bucks and ship in the original packaging.

22 7/8" outside diameter measured at the widest portion
21 1/2" as measured on a flat surface

This would be your envelope. Good luck let us know if it works out.

This is why I love this forum. I ask for the dimensions of a 22.5 inch WSM and the response is almost unanimous "build a UDS" and I thought to myself I do love building stuff. Almost instantly my mind changed from WMS to UDS. It completely changed when bluesman gave me the dimensions and it added up to an oversized package. Soooo now I need to find someone who will ship a steel drum to Bermuda. Although I do like the cruise ship idea as well.

I looked around. The steel drums here are closed top, and are old oil drums.

From what I have read here, building a UDS can cure cancer. A UDS is a great cooker, if you can and want to make one.

Yeah, that is one answer.

But I have a hypothetical question. If one of us were to buy a new or used WSM, and ship it to you via UPS, or some other shipper, what would it cost you.

I'd be willing to do it, if it worked out for you, and didn't turn into a career for me.

You are not that far from Florida. Why should it cost that much?

CD

$700 for a WSM. You are wasting your money.
Why do not you build a kamado style by brick/cement/sand
You need only to buy grill, cover, or bar/hook.
optional fire basket/draft controller.

From what I have read here, building a UDS can cure cancer. A UDS is a great cooker, if you can and want to make one.

Yeah, that is one answer.

But I have a hypothetical question. If one of us were to buy a new or used WSM, and ship it to you via UPS, or some other shipper, what would it cost you.

I'd be willing to do it, if it worked out for you, and didn't turn into a career for me.

You are not that far from Florida. Why should it cost that much?

CD

You'd have to drive it to the port of Miami and load into onto a container. And it would still be around $100 shipping. Depending on how much you get a used one for add %25 percent tax.

I am kind of liking the UDS idea. I could ship a drum to NYC and have it put on a container ship for less than 100 shipped here it looks like a steel drum will cost me around $200. A lot better than 700.

Now I just have to figure out what to paint it.

Why not buy 2 18.5 ones?
Speaking from my experience, 2 x 18.5 WSMs would be great for stuff like butts and chickens, but if you want to smoke a really big turkey (*) or slabs of ribs w/out cutting them or perhaps a big brisket w/out cutting it up, the 22.5 will do things the 18.5 cannot.

None of these is show stoppers and for $700, I'd not feel too bad about trimming racks of ribs (*) or cutting up a brisket.

I also think a UDS would be a good substitute for a 22.5 WSM in any circumstance. In this case it seems like a no brainer. It's a close enough configuration that I cannot believe it would not cook as well.

(*) I've done turkeys well over 20 lb in my 18.5 WSM by standing them on end, beer can style. I've also found that with a brace that extends up into the domed lid, I can hang ribs in my 18.5 WSM.

Too bad your so far away, im having similar problem so i feel your pain. I live in the great white north and to get a insulated smoker shipped here is too much

If the drums you found down there have a diameter between 22 1/8" and
22 3/4" at the lip, a Weber cover will fit very nicely. Simply cut out the top and smooth the resulting sharp edge on the drum to prevent mishaps and you will be good to go. A big old burnout of the drum and all will be fine. You can even drill a bunch of holes in the scrap top to make a diffuser.

So call Weber and order up a top and two grates, that can't cost too much.

Back