The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/index.php)
-   Q-talk (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Competition: Who has the best BBQ Sauce. (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=99442)

infernooo 01-25-2011 05:42 PM

Competition: Who has the best BBQ Sauce.

Hi everyone,

I thought I would put up a post that would be an interesting idea and something I have not seen done before.

I am sacrificing my taste buds to find out who has the best sauce on the forums!

First, a bit of a disclaimer to answer some of the inherent objections or questions to come:

* Tasting sauces obviously is VERY subjective - everyone has their own individual likes and dislikes, ingredients they tend not to use for flavour or other reasons, tolerance of heat (spicy) levels, salt sensitivity, like or dislike of sweetness etc. As such, there is no doubt that my personal biases will play a role here, but I can promise you this much: I will try every recipe exactly as stated and keep an open mind, even if the recipe contains ingredients I would not normally use or think would work well.

* Recipes must be your own, or if you obtained them from another source (e.g. a book, an Internet site, a friend etc), you must specify that you obtained the recipe from elsewhere and if you have modified it.

* PLEASE NO RECIPES THAT YOU HAVE NOT TRIED. I see so many posts where someone requests a sauce, and the result is invariably a post with generic BBQ sauces copied and pasted from a site, or a link to another site containing a collection of 10000000 barbecue sauces.

* This will cause some contention, but I am looking for the best all purpose BBQ sauce. I will TRY and have the sauces with a variety of meats (primarily beef, pork and chicken), but I cannot guarantee that I will be able to try every sauce with all permutations of meat types. They should work well with a number of meats.

* I will do my best to provide comments on each sauce in areas of taste, appearance, procedure required to make them, and versatility. I will also do my best to provide photos of each stage of making the recipes.

* Sauces will be tested in the order I receive them or they are posted.

* I will run this on a number of BBQ boards, so this will be quite a task, and I hope to find some interesting differences between them.

So without further ado, I request you to submit your best sauces for my examination! ;)

What do you get for winning? Acknowledgment of having the best sauce (as judged by me) on these (and possibly other) forums as well as making a big contribution to the BBQ scene by providing an excellent sauce for people to enjoy their BBQ with.

Good luck to all, and I hope to come out of this with some amazing sauces that I can recommend to other members.

- p.s. if you are worried about "revealing" your special sauce, this competition is probably not for you as I will be posting the winning sauce. You can however submit them via PM if you wish.

btcg 01-25-2011 06:04 PM

So, you're going to make these yourself?

Okay, knock yourself out.

Here's one of mine that's pretty popular:

http://www.hillbillyhousewife.com/bi...-bbq-sauce.htm

For the latest version: double the brown sugar (I like it sweeter these days) and use Old Grandad's Whiskey. Excellent on chicken.

anamosity 01-25-2011 06:09 PM

I have tried a several, so the answer is a bit biased. So without further adieu............

My own.

SmokinAussie 01-25-2011 06:20 PM

Holy Cow... Infernoo... that's potentially a lot of work!

It's a bloody shame you're in Sydney... I could pop over and help out but no such luck.

Also, RU sure you are going to be able to get all the ingredients?

Oh well, I am sure we will see the results as time goes by.

Good luck, I'll be watching!

Cheers!

Bill

Mister Bob 01-25-2011 06:20 PM

OK, I'm in. Here's one that gets good reviews. It's not my secret recipe, but I think is a very good one.

http://thehogblog.com/?p=34

I look forward to seeing your results, great idea!

btcg 01-25-2011 06:23 PM

Looks great Bob. May make up some of that to use myself.

Question: can I vote for Bob?

Mister Bob 01-25-2011 06:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by btcg (Post 1524677)
Looks great Bob. May make up some of that to use myself.

Question: can I vote for Bob?

Funny you should say that, I just checked yours out and thought the same thing! :thumb:

Groundhog66 01-25-2011 06:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by btcg (Post 1524660)
So, you're going to make these yourself?

Okay, knock yourself out.

Sounds to me like he is asking everyone to actually send him sauce samples, but I could be wrong :confused:

Mister Bob 01-25-2011 06:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by infernooo (Post 1524641)
I will also do my best to provide photos of each stage of making the recipes.

I'm pretty sure this means infernoo will be making each of the sauces.

Groundhog66 01-25-2011 06:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mister Bob (Post 1524687)
I'm pretty sure this means infernoo will be making each of the sauces.

Thanks MB, obviously my reading comprehension is a bit low today.

Lake Dogs 01-25-2011 06:44 PM

First, I've had many GREAT sauces, sauces that stand on their own, sauces that truly
make cardboard taste great. To me, this sauce doesn't compliment BBQ but masks it.
Below is our sauce recipe that compliments the meats and our rubs. It is thin enough
that if used in small amounts compliments the smokey meat flavors. And with that,
IMHO, sauce should never have smoke flavor; that's what the meat is for, right?

Starters:

55oz+- Contadina Tomato Sauce
28oz Steens Pure Cane Syrup
18oz Bama Grape Jelly
6oz Lee & Perins Worchestershire Sauce
1/2 tablespoon of cayenne pepper
1 tablespoon black pepper
1 tablespoon paprika
1 tablespoon chili powder

Mix all of the above and warm.

We use this (above) on chicken.

For pork and beef:

1 part Blues Hog Original
1 part Blues Hog Tennessee Red
3 parts our sauce (above)

For ribs we'll mix:

2 parts Blues Hog Original
1 part Blues Hog Tennessee Red
2 parts our sauce

BBQ Grail 01-25-2011 10:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Boshizzle (Post 1524921)
If he thinks that BBQ is about the sauce, he is already on the wrong track.

Exactly! So I'd like to volunteer to sample brisket, pulled pork and ribs from any member of the forum willing to send them to me. No sacrifice is too great for all my friends here.

bigabyte 01-25-2011 10:17 PM

Lord knows I have sampled many things. I say go for it, and good luck! It's the only way to find out what you like best, and tastes best.

Brewer 01-25-2011 10:20 PM

Haha - just threw a bag of jiffy pop in the microwave - sittin back watching watching the show :boxing:

bigabyte 01-25-2011 10:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by El Ropo (Post 1524900)
This guy has copy/pasted exact thread in several BBQ forums.

I may by out of line, but I can't help myself.

TROLL

OR

RECIPE THIEF

OR

SIMPLY DAFT

Since when has asking for BBQ sauce recipes made someone a troll? The guy said he wanted recipes and that he would make them himself, and compare them to his own subjective opinion to find out what sauce he liked best. Where is the foul with that?

Besides, it's not like he is someone who has just one or two posts and comes in to the forums to try and start stuff up. So where's the foul here?