Chuckie question

prodano

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
I have to be honest, I have never smoked a chuckie before and don't really know where to begin. Any way I could get some advice about what internal temp to smoke to? Also, is this just a beef chuck roast? Any recommendations regarding weight/thickness? Do you shred it and serve like you would pulled pork?

Thank you very much, I'm looking forward to trying something new!

Just did one today. You do it pretty much like pulled pork. Only thing I do different is put it in a pan at 170F to collect some drippings to mix in when I pull it.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

Search for Pepper Stout Beef and you'll see a popular preparation.

I typically give it a good coating of Kosher salt, black pepper and granulated garlic. I smoke over Cherry or Oak to about 160-170 internal. Then I wrap in foil and add maybe 2-3 Tablespoons of Worcestershire sauce. Then I cook till fork tender. Don't be surprised if you have to take it to 208 internal.

I get my Chuck Shoulder roasts at Sam's. They are 3-4 pounds each and 1.5-2 inches thick.

When they are fork tender, I usually shred like a pork butt. You can serve as sammies, or fillings for other things....like enchiladas or tamales.....

I have done them like Boston Butts for pulled pork, but only once or twice. Then again, I am from NORTH CAROLINA, and see very little reason to put anything other than pork on the smoker :blah: :blah: :blah:

Great suggestions already. I've only done one, prepped and cooked pretty much just like a pork butt..........came out great. Still have the pepperstout beef on my "try" list!

KC

Should I take it to an internal of 200 and start checking for probe tenderness from there? Also, I've had problems trying to search for threads on the forum in the past, is there something I don't know about?

Should I take it to an internal of 200 and start checking for probe tenderness from there? Also, I've had problems trying to search for threads on the forum in the past, is there something I don't know about?

For Chuckies since they are only 2 inches thick maybe, I poke with a fork and twist to check for tenderness. You can check for tenderness at 200, but for whatever reason they always take longer for me. And I usually don't even use a therm anymore (but I've cooked 20 or so at this point). I just let them go till I think they are ready to check.

Use the Google Search bar at the bottom of the page. That is setup to search only the forum. You have to be a paying member to use the Forum Search.

And yes probe tender starting at around 190-195.

2 inch thick chuckster? You can get them much bigger.
20130203_103437_zps907d3812.jpg

I've cooked two Chuck Roasts, so I'm no pro. I would start probing at 190 still the probe goes in like warm butter. The two I've cooked we're probing like butter at 205 and 207 they were five and seven pound roasts and pit temps were around 250 or so.

I usually buy the whole chuck roll in the cryo bag - that's between 22 and 27 pounds (this is what they cut the chuck roasts and chuck steaks from).

I'll chop this into 4 or 5 chunks, inject with my normal briskie injection (just a little lighter), rub with either Slabs "Wow Up Your Cow" or Plowboys "Bovine Bold" and let them rest wrapped overnight in the fridge.

On to the cooker at 235* to 250* until 165*, double wrap with unsalted beef broth & run it up to 202* to 210*. Let rest (wrapped) for at least 1/2 hour then pull like pulled pork. Reserve the juices, skim off the fat & add juice back in as needed after pulling.

Probe probe probe. My last chuck was well over 210 before it probed easy. Was gettin a bit uneasy but determined not to pull it out till it was tender. Came out very nice and juicy. Just dont let it spook ya if it seems like its takin too long. Btw it was a Pepper Stout beef.

About how long would a 3-4 pound chuck roast take at 275?

Great information thanks everybody for the replies!

About how long would a 3-4 pound chuck roast take at 275?

Great information thanks everybody for the replies!

If you foil when you get 160-170 with a splash of worcestershire, I would plan for 6-7 hours. And I've had them go to 8 when they were stubborn. It's less about time and more about when they give up and get tender.

Back