Looking for a Texas Style Pinto Bean recipe

stan

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
Everyone,

I am looking for your favorite Pinto Bean recipe (not just BBQ beans). When I lived in TX I had some great beans and the wife is looking to find one to try.

I can't wait to see what you guys got!

Thanks

d02b78ed.jpg

These beans were inspired by my friend Tom, who is quite the hand at cooking both inside and outside.

3 cups washed Pinto beans
3 or 4 twice smoked ham hocks (or shanks) (or few strips bacon) (or 1/3 lb salt pork)
1 onion, chopped and sweated.
2 green onions with tops, chopped and sweated
2 split and seeded jalapenos (or serrano peppers), chopped
2 or 3 mild green chilis like Anaheim or Big Jim, roasted, skinned then chopped
3-4 garlic cloves, roasted and mashed into paste
1 bay leaf
1/2 T. dry mustard
1 T. Worcestershire sauce
2 T. chili powder “Top Hat” is my favorite
1 can extra Hot Rotel Tomatoes (optional)
1 or 2 t Summer Savory
1 t Epazote
black pepper to taste
salt to taste
Sriracha “hot” chili sauce served at the table.

Cover beans with water and soak overnight. For this years crop, soak about 3 or 4 hours only.

Drain the water off of the beans, put in large pot and cover with fresh water by at least 2 inches. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to a simmer. Add the ham hocks, onions, garlic, peppers, bay leaf, mustard, Summer Savory, epazote, black pepper and chili powder. The beans can cook on the stovetop or be moved to the cooker, with the lid on but ajar. Add more water anytime during the cook as needed. Lastly, add the Worcestershire and tomatoes and cook for about 30 minutes more. Remove the hocks and pick the meat off of the bone, return to beans. Salt to taste at the end to avoid making the skin on the beans tough.

To reduce heat, use regular canned tomatoes and/or omit the serranos.

For smoky beans, move the Dutch oven into your cooker and remove the cover for the final hour or two, keeping your eye on the liquid level, adding water as needed. (The twice smoked hocks will give the beans a small amount of smoke flavor without extra smoke from the cooker.)

Pinto bean are good anyway you fix them. But that is a great bean pic.

These have been my favorite pintos since I bought the Junior League of Austin, Texas Cookbook in 1977.

Raunch Beans (Not a mis-spelling of ranch)

1 lb dried pinto beans
1 8oz can tomato sauce
1 Tblspn. salt
1 Tblspn. sugar
1 Tblspn. ground cumin
1 tspn. pepper
1 Tablspn. chili powder
4 beef bouillon cubes
2 Tblespns. bacon drippings
2 medium onions, chopped
1 4 to 5 inch smoked sausage, diced

Sort and Rincse beans thoroughly. Place beans in bowl with water to cover. Add tomato sauce, all seasonings, and bouillon cubes. Soak overnight. Stir occasionally.

Heat bacon drippings in heavy dutch oven, saute onions and sausage. Pour in bean mixtures. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat, cover and simmer for about 8 hours. Beach should be covered by 1/4 inch of liquid the entire time. Stir occasionally.

During the last two hours, mash some of the beans against side of pot to thinken the pot likker. Beans are better if prepared the day before serving.

Serves 12/freezes

Now when you have left over beans...

Fringe Benefit Bean Dip

Place 2 cups of Raunch beans and enough pot likker to cover beans into blender. Split lengthwise, removes seeds from 2 to 4 jalapenos. Add to beans. Blend until smooth. Service with tortilla chips.

That bean recipe is almost exactly what I do - except that I use A LOT more garlic and about four bay leaves - and no epazote. For a variant on that, I have used Cumin but then it just tastes like chili.

I also find that I need to stir the beans about every 30 minutes or so because the bottom layer becomes really thick if I don't.

But once again - low and slow produces the best results. So make that a Very Slow Simmer.

I like to cover my pintos with water and bring to a boil. When the pot boils, turn it off for 1 hour. After one hour, add salt and pepper, chopped onion and 1 whole jalepeno unsliced. Add any meat that needs long term cooking (picture shows bacon rind which takes a couple of hours boiling). Simmer until beans get to desired tenderness. If you want a thick soupy type broth you can mash some of the beans against the side of the pot with a fork and it will thickenup. Add any other meat that is precooked or only needs short cook time (picture shows smoked sausage that is precooked and just needs to warm up). Remove the jalepeno and either discard it or if you are a pepperhead like me then put it on your plate:rolleyes:. Serve with rice or over cornbread (or both:icon_blush:). Goes real nice with some fresh mixed greens:cool:

Quick and Easy Frijoles Ala Charra(beans in a cup)

fat back/salt pork/bacon
onion
garlic
rotel
bush's pinto beans
small jar pickled jalepenos
small bag of pork rinds.
salt and pepper

Dice up the fat back and render it down. Add diced onion and garlic. Cook until clear.
Add rotel and the pinto beans.
bring to a boil, then turn down low.

Add the pickled japs, adjust heat to your liking. Leave out the juice if you want milder.
Add the pork rinds.

Add salt and pepper as needed

Cook for 2 hours or more on low heat.

add any brisket juice/trimmings/etc that you may have.

Friend of mine used to cater in the Browsville area and gave me that recipe. Always got great compliments on it and it is very easy.

Guys. all of these are sounding great!! My reciepe come closer to Cajun Smokers. Mine is pretty basic. But the important thing is the side dishes (yes Pinto's are a main dish) You have to have fried taters and cornbread with it, and some raw onion sliced on the side. Man just writing this has got me hungry!!!

When I was growing up my mom used to fix a big pot of Pintos. She would then make a batch of corn bread and we would put a hunk of corn bread in a bowl, cover it with pintos and pot likker and pieces of raw onion.

Oh man that was good stuff...

This is the bean recipe by the late Richard Bolt who was the chuckwagon cook on the 6666 Ranch in Northwest Texas. If that ain't authentic Texas beans I don't know what is:
Richard Bolt on Pinto Beans:
Now we come to one of the basic foods served at a chuckwagon and the pinto bean has kept many good cowboys from starving to death. If you doubt this, ask a few who were riding the range during the "good ole depression" so many of us remember oh so well.
Soak 1 pound of pinto beans over night. Pour water off and place the beans in an iron pot with fresh soft water (I state soft water because we live in a hard water country and beans cannot be cooked in hard water) covering the beans one inch or more. Add about 1/4 pound smoked bacon and cook over low fire until beans are tender and the juice becomes thick. When the beans are almost tender enough to eat, add 1 medium size onion chopped and continue cooking until the beans and onion is completely tender. Salt to taste and cook for 15 minutes. Salt pork may be used to season with but be sure and wash the salt off the pork before using it. Salt placed in beans when they first begin to cook will make the beans very tough.
Stan

Thirdeye........what the hell is this..........1 t Epazote

Y'all are a bunch of farkers.
Postin recipes like that when I'm hungry. And pics to boot!

I'm gonna have to try some of them, cause I love beans and they would be sooo good with a side of collard greens.

Farkers.

One Way To Do It.

Take four cans of these and put in an old crusty dutch oven and be a little evasive on the "family recipe"

Attachments

• 31M5vrGJgcL._SL500_AA252_.jpg
    31M5vrGJgcL._SL500_AA252_.jpg
    12.7 KB · Views: 211
Back