The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/index.php)
-   Q-talk (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   New Q Review (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=17600)

Bigmista 05-06-2006 05:15 PM

New Q Review

Went to a "BBQ" joint down the street from my job today. Had all the makings of a real Q joint. Screen door with a hole in it. Family pictures on a bulletin board. Old lady with a hairnet taking orders. Thought I was in for some good Q.

Then I started asking questions.

"Never seen that kind of smoker before. What kind is it?"

"Gas"

Groan.

"So what kind of wood do you use with it?"

"Don't use no wood. It's self-smoking."

I have no idea what that means, but in the name of research, I ordered the combo plate. Ribs, sliced beef (Could have been brisket but not sure), chicken links, tater salad and beans.

Meat was literally swimming in sauce. Beef and ribs had that just boiled tenderness that we all love. Chicken links were actually good. Probably from the sausage place up on Florence. Sauce was thin and had a decent flavor. It worked as hard as it could to cover up poorly seasoned meat. Beans and salad were uneventful.

*sigh*

If I had a spicewine and a spot....

Smoker 05-06-2006 05:23 PM

Your time will come!!!!

bbqjoe 05-06-2006 05:31 PM

We had a new Q joint open about a few weeks ago. It's 50 miles away, so I'm not too worried.
I had to take an extended food handling course not long ago.
I met the woman who was about to open the joint. Long story short, Ugly,fat,smelly etc. Late getting to class. Late coming back from lunch.
She asked me if cooking was hard, because she had never cooked before.
Said she couldn't find a cook anywhere. The only thing she had to commend herself for was "A BIG SIGN"
She has so many things going against her.
Right across the street from the biggest steakhouse in Kingman. No parking. Hard to get into...... It just goes on.

A few of our regulars went to check them out.

All reviews were awful!
One guy gave them six weeks, his wife gave them four.

She ordered a ribeye. Came out Fried in a pan.

Not a smoker to be seen anywhere. Seems they serve that barbecue stuff you see in buckets at the grocery.

Another guy said all his food was cold. Except the coleslaw!

I don't even have the slightest urge to even try it!

Bigmista 05-06-2006 05:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bbqjoe
We had a new Q joint open about a few weeks ago. It's 50 miles away, so I'm not too worried.
I had to take an extended food handling course not long ago.
I met the woman who was about to open the joint. Long story short, Ugly,fat,smelly etc. Late getting to class. Late coming back from lunch.
She asked me if cooking was hard, because she had never cooked before.
Said she couldn't find a cook anywhere. The only thing she had to commend herself for was "A BIG SIGN"
She has so many things going against her.
Right across the street from the biggest steakhouse in Kingman. No parking. Hard to get into...... It just goes on.

A few of our regulars went to check them out.

All reviews were awful!
One guy gave them six weeks, his wife gave them four.

She ordered a ribeye. Came out Fried in a pan.

Not a smoker to be seen anywhere. Seems they serve that barbecue stuff you see in buckets at the grocery.

Another guy said all his food was cold. Except the coleslaw!

I don't even have the slightest urge to even try it!

Me too neither!!

Kevin 05-06-2006 05:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bigmista
Me too neither!!

Mista, that almost sounds like a brethrenism.

ThomEmery 05-06-2006 06:36 PM

Joe I guess you aint losin anymore sleep over them new folks

bbqjoe 05-06-2006 06:41 PM

Hey Mista, would self smoking kinda be right there next to "Self smarting"?

icemn62 05-06-2006 08:28 PM

Self smoking is way better than self smarting. Self smoking is the reason the Mista will get his BBQ shack opened in Downey, Bellflower area. The people from my job will eat there, and the word will spread. Eventually Mista will be trying to decide if he should franchise the operation, or retire out-right. I will have gained 30 lpbs by walking to Mista's spot for lunch everyday, and picking up dinner on the way home twice a week.

Here is hoping most places continue to be self smoking in the LA area.

bbqjoe 05-06-2006 09:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by icemn62
Self smoking is way better than self smarting. Self smoking is the reason the Mista will get his BBQ shack opened in Downey, Bellflower area. The people from my job will eat there, and the word will spread. Eventually Mista will be trying to decide if he should franchise the operation, or retire out-right. I will have gained 30 lpbs by walking to Mista's spot for lunch everyday, and picking up dinner on the way home twice a week.

Here is hoping most places continue to be self smoking in the LA area.

I guess maybe the self smoking thing in the original post got misunderstood.

I understood the guy was using a gas smoker that didn't require wood, it was self smoking.
Wasn't bashing on Mista.

Bigmista 05-07-2006 01:38 AM

I think he was saying that I would succeed because other people are "self-smoking".

icemn62 05-07-2006 06:17 AM

Mista understodd it. you have to be here and try to find a good BBQ place. It is not a reach when we tell peple that "the worse I do in the backyard is better than what you would go buy"

kickassbbq 05-07-2006 06:25 AM

The BBQJoe Man and The Big Meister Man!!!
Big, fat, ugly and smelly????? You ain't even given that girl a chance. Get down there and belly up to her counter and get some Q!!! Souds like the Team I was camped next to at the last comp. When asked if I wanted to taste their Q, I had to say yes, and then went right for the Imodium!!!
You should do the same.
PARTY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Smoke ON!!!
ed

jgh1204 05-07-2006 08:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by icemn62
Mista understodd it. you have to be here and try to find a good BBQ place. It is not a reach when we tell peple that "the worse I do in the backyard is better than what you would go buy"

That is true almost everywhere, even in Texas.

cabo 05-07-2006 09:32 AM

"Self Smoking"

On the subject of “self smoking”.
I have an acquaintance that likes to talk cooking with me. He’s a nice fella, but what he knows about Q would fit in a thimble, and you would still have room for a finger. He’s originally from California (sorry West Coast guys, I know you’re not all the same) but he’s been living here for quite a few years. He makes comments like, “if there is no sauce on it, it isn’t Q”, just to mention one. Once I asked him what kind of smoking wood he likes best. He answered me, “Oh, I don’t use wood, I have a gas grill”. Oh, I said, then where do you get your smoke flavor from? “Why from the fat dripping on the fire producing smoke….. Hence, “self smoking”. Have I tried to explain to him the difference, YES!!!! Is it working, NO!!!! He loves the taste of my Q, but he is VERY opinionated, and stone walls change. So, I gave up.
Think I’ll go find an old tire to stuff in the firebox for my next smoke:shock:

big brother smoke 05-07-2006 10:11 AM

I have investigated several Q joints in my neck of the woods and I have been disappointed on all visits. Ain't nothing like your own Q!

Ain't touchin the California thing, I am originally from Chicago, LOL!:wink:

bbqjoe 05-07-2006 10:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kickassbbq
The BBQJoe Man and The Big Meister Man!!!
Big, fat, ugly and smelly????? You ain't even given that girl a chance. Get down there and belly up to her counter and get some Q!!! Souds like the Team I was camped next to at the last comp. When asked if I wanted to taste their Q, I had to say yes, and then went right for the Imodium!!!
You should do the same.
PARTY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Smoke ON!!!
ed

I don't know, kinda reminds me of when someone hands you a milk carton and says" taste this, I think it's gone bad"
No that's ok, really.........

Bigmista 05-07-2006 10:59 AM

Big Brother smoke,

I went to one BBQ place in your neck of the woods that wasn't too bad. I talked about in this thread:

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...hlight=Ventura

I like Ventura, especially the Pierpont Inn.

Bigmista 05-07-2006 11:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bbqjoe
I don't know, kinda reminds me of when someone hands you a milk carton and says" taste this, I think it's gone bad"
No that's ok, really.........

Don't you hate that? Or "This really stinks! Smell it!"

big brother smoke 05-07-2006 06:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bigmista
Big Brother smoke,

I went to one BBQ place in your neck of the woods that wasn't too bad. I talked about in this thread:

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...hlight=Ventura

I like Ventura, especially the Pierpont Inn.

BigMista:

Have not ventured to Cooke's yet! I moved to this area from Santa Barbara 2 years ago. I have been to about five other spots in the Ventura area and they were marginal at best! I will go to Cooke's on your recommendation.

Peace and Smoke,
BBS

Bigmista 05-07-2006 09:55 PM

Be sure and come back to give us a review! We know food can vary from one day to the next.